Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewissper
The Mushroom Man (in training)
Male User Gallery

Quart jar contam protection discussion
    #8561618 - 06/25/08 08:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey folks.. Ive read a lot of differing opinions on how to setup the contam barrier in quart jars.  I am doing my first  runs now, and Im using docs wbs for some and rye tek for some others.  On all the jars I have a layer of tyvek, then one center hole with polyfill tucked into it, then the jar ring, and its colonizing now with two coffee filters rubber banded over the top. 

I have been told that the coffee filters are not necessary, but my question is - will they stunt growth or hurt anything?  If I take them off will that help fae in the jars and / or invite contams?  I think the poly tyvek should be enough from what Ive heard/read but Id like some other opinions on the subject.

~Wissper

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Quart jar contam protection discussion [Re: wissper]
    #8561634 - 06/25/08 08:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Remove the coffee filters, since they're totally useless.  If you look at a coffee filter under a microscope, you can see daylight on the other side. In fact, put a coffee filter over a spore print and you'll see dozens of spores through each hole in the coffee filter.  Tyvek, polyfill, synthetic filter disks, or micropore medical tape will all provide filtering during colonization.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinewissper
The Mushroom Man (in training)
Male User Gallery

Re: Quart jar contam protection discussion [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8561676 - 06/25/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

thanks RR - i was wondering about that.  I figured it might provide some protection, but after hearing that all it was probably doing was preventing air exchange.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix