Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Boletus edulis?
    #8555241 - 06/23/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Habitat:  Under Blue Spruce.

Season: Spring

Cap:  6"  light tan.

Pores:  Olive, slightly bruising darker olive when scraped.

Stipe:  4" long total, 1.5" wide  bug eaten so no glandular dots, reticulation or scabers.

Odor:  Nutty

Taste: Bland, slighty nutty.

Bruising: None apparent.

Staining: None with ammonia.

Spore Print: In progress.

I don't normally find Boletus edulis, so I was wondering what some of you think.  The base of the stipe isn't swollen, even though that isnt always the case.  It isnt Tylopilus felleus or Boletus satanus and I doubt its Boletus aereus.

Any ideas?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Boletus edulis? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8555398 - 06/23/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Its not Boletus edulis because that species has reticulation on the stem.

I think Boletus aereus only grows in Europe and San Mateo County, California.  I have a patch on the UC Santa Cruz campus. 

I have no idea what it is but it is a really common species on the east coast and Mexico.  Someone posted some last week.

Since it does not blue or have red pores and its in north america, its edible.  I would like to know how it tastes and what species it is.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus edulis? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8555424 - 06/23/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks Alan.  I don't think it's edulis either, but with the bugs eating the covering off of the stem I wouldn't know if it was reticulated.

I find a lot of Boletes throughout the year.  It's generally a good sign when the bugs go after them.

After the spore print, I'm going to sautee it and eat it.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Boletus edulis? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8556791 - 06/24/08 12:26 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It's generally a good sign when the bugs go after them.

People ask if they can eat boletes with a few bugs and I am like...I don't know, are you a vegitarian?

I have heard that the flavor compounds that make boletes taste good are there to attract the bugs so they lay eggs in the mushroom, hatch into maggots and then flies and disperse the spores.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Boletus edulis? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8557961 - 06/24/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

As I peeled the pores off--I usually don't eat them--I noticed the maggots had eaten through the hymenium up to the bottom of the cap tissue, and stopped there.  You could see the trails they had eaten on the lower surface of the cap tissue, but they didn't penetrate the cap tissue.

I sauteed them in butter; tonight I'll eat it schedule depending.  The aroma while cooking wasn't very pronounced as it is with other mushrooms, including store-bought Agaricus bisporus.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale