Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibledeadHead321
Stranger

quick laptop advice?
    #8548097 - 06/21/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the fan on my Dell Inspiron 6000 runs quite frequently, especilly when viewing videos a la Youtube or whatnot.

it kicks on when regular browsing as well...

any suggestions on how to curb the frequent fan running?

--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC

All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewickedsick
<(^.^<)<(^.^)>(>^.^)>
 User Gallery

Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: deadHead321]
    #8548118 - 06/21/08 05:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

get a cool pad!

btw i used to plug my cool pad to a discman adapter , because the cool pad was weak, never had probs in doing this

--------------------
enjoy your seizure
"Ninja Jar ©"Tek
Mycelium Water TEK

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
You don't need to drill a lot of holes.  Some growers choose to fan several times per day instead.
RR [/quote]

Edited by wickedsick (06/21/08 05:21 PM)

InvisibledeadHead321
Stranger

Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: wickedsick]
    #8549145 - 06/21/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

anything i can do as far as maintenance or settings?!

--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC

All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: deadHead321]
    #8549160 - 06/21/08 11:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i just always prop up the back of the of it and type on an angle as to get air flow under the machine. A fan would help along with this method. Other than that do what wicked sick said and get a cool pad for it.

as far as settings all I can think of is just make sure you dont have any thing running that your not using

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: fee]
    #8550027 - 06/22/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That fan is going to run whenever the CPU heats up. Youtube uses flv, which is a really CPU intensive (compared to other video formats) application.

No way of escaping that.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8550036 - 06/22/08 07:40 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Just to nitpick, it's not the FLV codec that's CPU intensive, it's the horribly-coded Flash player itself. It should be way better in Firefox 4, whenever that's released.

To the OP: is your laptop noisier than it was before? You may need to open it up and clean the fan. It'll void your warranty, so only do it if it's already expired. You can find a service manual online with diagrams on how to do it. I clean my laptop's fan every 6-12 months or when I notice it getting louder, especially on youtube.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: zouden]
    #8550067 - 06/22/08 08:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Ahh, right. Either way I wish stage6 could have enjoyed gootube's popularity. Divx is way totally better than FLV in every aspect.

--------------------

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8550272 - 06/22/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, good replies all around.  I had a different model of that run of laptops and the fans were generally underpowered in my experience so its going to run a lot no matter what.

Cooling pad would be an excellent idea:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2030260319%201276817102&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Another thing to consider is cleaning out the fan and heatsink from dust, hair, smoke and whatever else might be accumulating and inhibiting good airflow.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8550274 - 06/22/08 10:23 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Ahh, right. Either way I wish stage6 could have enjoyed gootube's popularity. Divx is way totally better than FLV in every aspect.

Yeah, and it might again.  Derailing a bit, but more Stage6 enthusiasts should give this a read.

Serious Drama, And Lots Of Stupidity, Behind Stage6 Shutdown

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: toastandjam]
    #8550405 - 06/22/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting. I was wondering why someone hadn't offered and xvid/h.264 alternative. But if one really wants high def stuff, that's what bittorrents and emule is for.

--------------------

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #8552944 - 06/23/08 02:02 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think a cooling pad will solve the problem of his laptop producing too much noise, since he'd be adding another couple of fans.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: quick laptop advice? [Re: zouden]
    #8552968 - 06/23/08 02:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

my laptop fan sounds like an old man with tuberculosis. especially when i start it up.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order