Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Mexico
WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?!
    #8538642 - 06/18/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Alright listen guys please help, I just decided to look in on my casing i put together the other day, dudes were suggesting to me to use Miricle Grow Moisure Control as a casing material, so I figured I would give it a shot, I pasturized it methodically VIA RRs instuctions I read in a post using pint or quart jars (I used pint) in a pressure cooker

anyhow right, I took TEN healthy as all get out, fully colonized and consolidated PF jars of Cambodian stain (my first cambodian grow, and all of it too, why this is so sore!) and i crumbled them in ziplock bags and let them sit for a couple days to recover like I have time before, cased them with MGMC that I pasturized, first time using this, and them stuck it in my incubator like I have before...,

So I go to look at it and here is what I see after a couple days!!!!!!

WTF is this? its yellow as HELL, sorry if the pics suck they are the best I could do, I took a chunk of mycelium out to get a pic of as you can see, I have never seen anything like this before

What gets me is that all ten of these PF style jars were completely healthy as hell, seriously not a hint of contamination VIA smell, color, anything!!! And they *all* grew quickly and as would be expected for the most healthy of mycelium to grow...

What am I looking at, and is it possibly from using MGMC, is it contamination, or WTF?!!??!

im assuming its bacteria, but im hoping by some off chance that you guys will tell me its okay, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, yeah right

im really disapointed because this is my very first cambodian grow and I was really looking forward to it, and its all of my cambodians, so shit!!!

Im just wondering if its the MGMC because that is the only changed factor.dsfsfsd

drunk...help?!?!?!

--------------------
I've found myself, and found nothing...
My NEW GROW ROOM BITCHES!!!
My Current HPOO Project!

and this is a chipmunk on my hand

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeladude
king size

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: WakingUp]
    #8538669 - 06/18/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

sounds like its getting too wet

--------------------
losers always talk about doing their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

Offlineendepth
The world remains ever the same.

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: WakingUp]
    #8538678 - 06/18/08 09:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Trich? From the contam faq posted by anno.

--------------------
Being normal is nothing to aspire to. It is something to get away from.

OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: deladude]
    #8538692 - 06/18/08 09:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

deladude said:
sounds like its getting too wet

'

too wet ? thats all you got? so say it is getting too wet, wtf is going on with it being yellow, also its definatly NOT too wet, im not so new to casings as to not know when its too wet, its not too wet,

--------------------
My Current HPOO Project!

Offlineendepth

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: endepth]
    #8538697 - 06/18/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You also shouldn't be incubating anything.

--------------------

Offlinedeladude
king size

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: endepth]
    #8538725 - 06/18/08 09:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

wow now that i zoom in that shit looks like big bird. im pretty damn curious myself.

--------------------
losers always talk about doing their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

OfflineHumbled
Local Budtender
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8538728 - 06/18/08 09:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

haha hes drunk.......... me too.

--------------------
_-_--->My Trade List<---_-_

Offlinedeladude
king size

#8538751 - 06/18/08 09:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

wow now that i zoom in that shit looks like big bird. im pretty damn curious myself.

--------------------

Offlineendepth

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: deladude]
    #8538792 - 06/18/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cinnamon Brown Mold – Chromelosporium fulva (Peziza ostrachoderma)

The color of this mold ranges from yellow gold to golden brown to cinnamon brown. It grows rapidly in circular patches. It is very common in soil, and flourishes on damp wood. Areas in compost overheated during spawn run may be colonized. Improperly conditioned compost will also support growth, but it is most commonly known as a recolonizer of overly pasteurized casing, possibly living on dead microorganisms. It often occurs on sterilized soil. Sexual fruiting bodies may appear several weeks after the first appearance of the mold. Spores are airborne.

MGMC isn't a very good casing material bro.

--------------------

Edited by endepth (06/18/08 10:07 PM)

OfflineMeoman
Paranoid GrowNewb
Male

#8539013 - 06/18/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

endepth said:

The color of this mold ranges from yellow gold to golden brown to cinnamon brown. It grows rapidly in circular patches. It is very common in soil, and flourishes on damp wood. Areas in compost overheated during spawn run may be colonized. Improperly conditioned compost will also support growth, but it is most commonly known as a recolonizer of overly pasteurized casing, possibly living on dead microorganisms. It often occurs on sterilized soil. Sexual fruiting bodies may appear several weeks after the first appearance of the mold. Spores are airborne.

I hear of people using it all of the time with no contaminates. I use it straight out of the bag with no problems.

You can use it for 3-5 flushes before you get contaminates.

--------------------
Where the root grows, more will follow.

Offlineendepth

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: Meoman]
    #8539027 - 06/18/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Meoman said:
Quote:

endepth said:

I hear of people using it all of the time with no contaminates. I use it straight out of the bag with no problems.

You could use straight verm too! That doesn't make it a good casing material. The stuff I've seen has all kinds of wood chips and perlite in it.

Meh, whatever works for you I suppose.

Edit: I'm not saying I know for sure the MGMC caused the contam, but it definitely could be a factor.

--------------------

Edited by endepth (06/18/08 11:18 PM)

Invisiblemalfunction556
Twitterpated Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Villa Straylight
    #8539032 - 06/18/08 11:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

endepth said: is most commonly known as a recolonizer of overly pasteurized casing

How hot did your MGMC get during the pasteurizing?  I am considering using this for some WBS I have going.
I found tons of folks on here with decent success, it looks really foolproof, and you can get it freakin everywhere.

Maybe ya got unlucky or just got it too hot or cooked too long during pasteurizing?

--------------------
"When the government fears the people, we have democracy.  When the people fear the government, we have tyranny." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineMeoman
Paranoid GrowNewb
Male

#8539034 - 06/18/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

endepth said:
Quote:

Meoman said:
Quote:

endepth said:

You could use straight verm too! That doesn't make it a good casing material. The stuff I've seen has all kinds of wood chips and perlite in it.

It also has Peat Moss and Coco coir in it. All you have to do us take out the wood chips (which are easy to see and pick out) and you are good to go.

--------------------
Where the root grows, more will follow.

OfflineAbaZabba
Seeker of Truth

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: Meoman]
    #8539331 - 06/19/08 01:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

From your pictures, it looks to be coming from the substrate more than the casing; the MGMC probably had little to do with whatever is going on there. 

What were your procedures for crumbling and casing?  This is a new one to me, hoping an old hand chimes in with some knowledge.

OfflineAntii
Accident

#8539623 - 06/19/08 03:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

calm down and do a little research on google or somthing look for yellow mold or somthing...

it looks like some stuff growing on a log that stays in a damp place in back yard... i also have some mushrooms growing from it too, its the same yellow color but mine is fuzzy....

--------------------
"Be yourself, because those who matter don't care, and those who care don't matter." by Dr. Seuss

Trade List!!

Edited by Antii (06/19/08 04:00 AM)

OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: Antii]
    #8539698 - 06/19/08 05:05 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Antii said:
calm down and do a little research on google or somthing look for yellow mold or somthing...

it looks like some stuff growing on a log that stays in a damp place in back yard... i also have some mushrooms growing from it too, its the same yellow color but mine is fuzzy....

your saying you got this contam but your mushrooms still grew ?

anyhow to the rest: thanks, ill get a chance to respond and read all your posts later, this sucks ass, MGMC TO HELL!!! ive had much better results, in fact no contams, with verm only...

so the verdict is i overpasturized it ?

really really sad loss man, also im going out of town for 2 days, i guess ill just let it sit and wait and hope when i get back its okay, i doubt it tho

--------------------
My Current HPOO Project!

OfflineWakingUp
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: AbaZabba]
    #8539706 - 06/19/08 05:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AbaZabba said:
From your pictures, it looks to be coming from the substrate more than the casing; the MGMC probably had little to do with whatever is going on there. 

What were your procedures for crumbling and casing?  This is a new one to me, hoping an old hand chimes in with some knowledge.

well to crumble i put the fully colonized cakes in a large ziplock after removing the verm seal with a sterilized fork, 4 to a bag, I broke the cakes up by pinching them with my fingers, worked before, and before again

true it looks more like the substrate than the casing, but where did it come from, the cakes were healthy as hell right before i put the casing on

--------------------
My Current HPOO Project!

Offlinemedicine man
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8539879 - 06/19/08 07:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Like Meoman said you should take out any visible wood. That could have been your problem.  In the future remove wood chips and you could also add a small amount of hydrated lime which is optional

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WTF is this?!?! Seriously HELP!!! Yellow substrate, casing, MGMC CASING?!?! [Re: medicine man]
    #8539953 - 06/19/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It's apparent that the cakes were not actually healthy when crumbled.  When contaminants show up that soon, it's definitely the spawn/cakes that were the problem.  I'm no fan of casing cakes, and also not too crazy about MGMC, but that's not the problem.  They would have been green in the same time if you'd tried to fruit them as cakes.

Smell each cake at birthing.  I usually wash them under the faucet right after they come out of the jar, and that's a good time to take a whiff.  Those cakes would have had a 'dirt' smell rather than a fresh mushroom smell.  Even if 9 of the 10 smelled like fresh mushrooms, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.

Don't incubate.  Allow to colonize at normal room temperature.  If it's cold in your house, put them on an upper shelf since it's usually warmer higher up in a room.  That isn't what caused the mold, but the heat helps the molds more than it helps the mushroom mycelium.  Molds are caused by mold spores getting on your substrate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineendepth

#8540246 - 06/19/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Meoman said:
Quote:

endepth said:
Quote:

Meoman said:
Quote:

endepth said:

It also has Peat Moss and Coco coir in it. All you have to do us take out the wood chips (which are easy to see and pick out) and you are good to go.

Coir is a shitty casing material too. Too many nutes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag