Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
censorship
    #8532790 - 06/17/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmmm, what to do about it. Should everyone be free to say anything they want? What if that which is said hurts someone else, and who exactly are we protecting?

THERE I FIXED IT:grin:

If I shout fire in a theater even though I know that there isnt one, people could run out in terror, and as a result trample each other. However the same could be said of religion. For example one could view many christians claim that this world will end one day, so we should use up all the resources possible until then as not only ignorant, and a threat to intelligence, but a threat to the life of every living thing on the planet. If I tell the proselytizing, sandwich board draped doomsdayist to shut the fuck up is that censorship? If I'm not allowed to tell him where he can put that megaphone, is that censorship?

What about racism, we all.....or at least I believe everyone is entitled to have any belief they see fit, but what about proclaiming that belief to others. Where do we draw the line dividing what ideals are deemed harmless, and permitted public proclamation and those that are directly harmful in and of them self. While some people may see the arresting of protesters at an anti-war march as censorship, oppression, and a direct threat to there security and happiness. Many supporters of the war feel the same way about the protesters, seeing them as a corrupt, and harmful invader threatening there society, wellbeing, and ideology.

Should the "free market" be applied to freedom of speech, letting anyone and everyone say anything they like in anyway they see fit? Perhaps popular, or mainstream cultural expectations will provide all the censorship needed.

Of course none of this means anything without first defining what exactly speech is. Does it only pertain to  the written, and spoken work? What about art it is certainly a form of communication, does it fall under freedom of speech? After all a painting.....

Or a picture can certainly be as meaningful, and moving as anything said or written.

But then again what the fuck do I know, I dont have any answers only question. And questions like potential are completely worthless until you do something with them.

Never forget that our constitutional rights are considered GOD GIVEN RIGHTS, and by there very nature are not subject to any person, organization, or governments "authority" to grant, remove, or modify them. The constitution does not grant them, it merely acknowledges them, and builds around them. Freedom is not a privilege, it is the pure nature of existence.

IT IS NOT ONlY YOUR RIGHT, BUT YOUR TRUE NATURE TO BE ABSOLUTELY FREE SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU EXIST.

Now Im going to go eat a borrito.:finger::peace:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Edited by blewmeanie (06/19/08 08:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: censorship [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8532811 - 06/17/08 08:04 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I thought the inalienable rights were found in the Declaration of Independence: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  Other rights described in the US Constitution were given by man.

Nevertheless, free speech, as defined by the Founding Fathers was limited (a strict interpretation) to words.  This has been reinterpreted to mean "freedom of expression."  However, in my view, it was not the original intent.

Society should do all it can to preserve the free exchange of ideas.  Otherwise, it is guilty of censorship.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: censorship [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8532841 - 06/17/08 08:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
I thought the inalienable rights were found in the Declaration of Independence: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.  Other rights described in the US Constitution were given by man.

Its not about which piece of paper says which rights are "inalienable". Its being alive that makes you free, not what some politician chooses to acknowledge. I'm so sick of this slave mentality that I see everywhere today. I keep hearing about who has which rights and who doesnt, and this person committed this crime, so it doesnt apply. Or that guy is from another country, so he is only deserving of the privileges we choose to give him. Freedom isnt a bill, and it isnt a law. Its not some political ideology that can be refined, edited, or even given. Its not a product to be marketed and sold. Its an acknowledgment, and a choice you make. All it takes is a thought, I AM FREE, and you are.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8532881 - 06/17/08 08:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  Are you saying everyone is free to do as they chose?

What does freedom mean to you?

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: censorship [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8532941 - 06/17/08 09:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Its just an extension of an off topic discusion from last night. To me freedom is indefinable. Its a choice you make, at any moment. Laws regulate that freedom, but I wasnt suggesting we do away with laws, I was posing a question.

Here is the cliffs notes version.

• What is censorship, how do we define it?

• Is it any restriction on expression?

• What is expression?

• What about when self expression restricts my freedom? (Either legally, or....morally for lack of a better word.)

• Can anyone ever express anything without to some degree "opressing" another.

• Do we have the right to controll our surrounding's?

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8532961 - 06/17/08 09:10 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

blew meanie has gone all libertarian now :thumbup: 

censorship is inhuman

freedom wasn't granted by a bunch of old motherfuckers with a pen and paper

the only thing standing between me and freedom is this pesky gang calling themselfs the united states government.. they have lots of big guns to support their freedom and order. me and all my friends in new hampshire don't feel like listening to them anymore though

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Edited by anyone420 (06/17/08 09:12 AM)

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: censorship [Re: anyone420]
    #8533071 - 06/17/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Government is now inherently big, and any time a government is this big, censorship is a natural by-product.  Even still though, the level to which we're censored is kind of fucking ridiculous.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #8533111 - 06/17/08 09:59 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sick of all politics, Its a mad world when the simplest and most universally reasonable concepts are the most uniformly neglected. Where is Thomas Paine when you need him?

"Wherefore since nothing but blows will do, for God's sake, let us come to a final separation, and not leave the next generation to be cutting throats, under the violated unmeaning names of parent and child."

What happend to a government of common sense

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: censorship *DELETED* [Re: g00ru]
    #8533131 - 06/17/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by anyone420

Reason for deletion: as

--------------------

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8533134 - 06/17/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

how can government be inherently big?  doesn't make sense.

you could say government is inherently self sustaining and thus grows bigger.. but whatever.

government :

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #8533167 - 06/17/08 10:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Solutions....anyone?

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8533177 - 06/17/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

freestateproject.org

yezir

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #8533184 - 06/17/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I've seen it, and while it is interesting, It doesn't seem like a viable solution. Hopefully I'm wrong.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8533190 - 06/17/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

better than anything else out there

and while not viable for everyone, it certainly is for those who choose to participate.  lots of progress already.

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
    #8533218 - 06/17/08 10:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

True, it is better than bitching on a random internet message board. New Hampshire is just way to cold for me. I'm heading out west when my lease is up next year, most likely to Portland.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8533484 - 06/17/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i like the cold

but oregon home grown is wassup.  I got a boy out there and its always fire, plus they got relatively slack medical cannabis laws so  you could easily be growing for medical patients and keeping personals in 'good standing' with the law if thats important to you.

--------------------

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
    #8533544 - 06/17/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This is just an example, so don't ban me for it.

So if I came all up in here and called you guys a bunch stupid fag hippies and started a shit war would you still be so much for your "freedom of speech" cos that would not be very hetty brah.

On the shroomery if you want freedom to say whatever, post in otd. If you want it friendly and kosher, post in the pub.

In real life, there is no freedom of speach, piss of a cop and curse in front of him, disorderly conduct. Say something about the president, terrorist. Etc....

We don't have very many freedoms anywhere so enjoy what you do have. And don't bring the constitution into the pub's moderators cos that's so nawt shroomey brah.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: censorship [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #8533659 - 06/17/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The Motherfuckin G said:
This is just an example, so don't ban me for it.

So if I came all up in here and called you guys a bunch stupid fag hippies and started a shit war would you still be so much for your "freedom of speech" cos that would not be very hetty brah.

On the shroomery if you want freedom to say whatever, post in otd. If you want it friendly and kosher, post in the pub.

In real life, there is no freedom of speach, piss of a cop and curse in front of him, disorderly conduct. Say something about the president, terrorist. Etc....

We don't have very many freedoms anywhere so enjoy what you do have. And don't bring the constitution into the pub's moderators cos that's so nawt shroomey brah.

This isnt about the shroomery. This website is (I would assume) privately owned by YTHAN, being that it is his private property, he can make any rules he sees fit. Everything Ive said was about life in general, and didnt pertain to any particular instance of censorship. As far as the OTD being free, I wouldnt call the ability to post scat pics, but not to criticize one of the regulars all that free. I've seen one person after another flamed to the point of not being able to Carry on a conversation in there ever again, and all because they offended one of the regulars. Sometimes the only reason seems to be that they were new and someone just felt like being a douche . IMO the only forum on the shroomery with less freedom than the OTD is M&P.

Group think cockery does not make a very good social filter.

But none of this has been about the shroomery, or even censorship in particular. That was merely the template I was using (and apparently failing) to break down the concept of liberty. More specifically the bizzar way in which we have twisted "liberty", and "freedom" into a privilege given to us if we behave rather than the essence of life.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Edited by blewmeanie (06/17/08 01:36 PM)

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
    #8533670 - 06/17/08 01:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup:

I'm gonna sit this one out. I told myself I'd stop making sense for a few days for the sake of my friends not having to say "SHUT THE FUCK UP, WE know RELIGION IS bullshit, I SWEAR IF YOU DON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP I WILL ONLY LET YOU FUCK MY VIRGIN SISTER, MARY, once THIS YEAR."

Thats too good to pass up. Maybe I'll make a savior.

~Monk

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: censorship [Re: numonkei]
    #8533803 - 06/17/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No worry s, its not like logic or coherence is necessary when discussing freedom, or politics anyway. :laugh:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck