Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Need a foriegn language to graduate
    #8530646 - 06/16/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

And i need to start next semester to finish on time so heres the problem. These classes are fucking hard and time consuming. 4 days a week and your never allowed to miss. The department is very strict (major fuckers.) I need a language i want to learn so i was thinking Arabic, spanish, french, polish, or japaneese. Can anybody recomend some audio lessons i might be able to get off demonoid or something to that effect?

I want to try each out till i find one i can honestly be happy about taking for the next 2 years. :sad:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejenns_hot
Hungry
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast Flag
Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: rodfarva]
    #8530658 - 06/16/08 05:01 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Rosetta Stone is supposed to be one of the best.  Spanish would probably be one of the most beneficial though, if you live in America.

--------------------
"Fear makes the wolf look bigger"

Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: jenns_hot]
    #8530726 - 06/16/08 05:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

well i just finished mine, i chose italian because i had taken spanish in HS so this was similar. but if you want to know a real language that will help in the future, mandarin chinese (not sure how to spell that) because that is supposed to be a strong business language in a few years. and use like piratebay to get rosetta stone, they have any language its pretty simple.

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #8530770 - 06/16/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

learn either canadian or mexican they will benifit you the most, don't listen to jenshot he don't know what he's talkin about you'll never use spanish

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8530786 - 06/16/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Arabic is harder than you could possibly imagine, unless you have a serious reason for learning it, I wouldn't even bother. I spent a year with a room mate from Saudi Arabia trying to learn it, before saying fuck it, Japanese is allot of fun though. Its a very efficient language, with a ton of uses. You can find both the pimsular (sp?) and Rosetta stone lessons for it on thepiratebay. I suggest using both.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: rodfarva]
    #8530812 - 06/16/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I know German was not on your list, but I would think it would
be the easiest.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: rod]
    #8530870 - 06/16/08 06:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Just because english is a "germanic" language doesn't mean they are similar.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8531831 - 06/16/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I would think that with no prior knowledge that French, German, and Spanish would all be equally hard.  I took German in HS and French in college and both seem pretty similar.  I would love to learn Chinese, but I have enough problems when the languages share an alphabet.

My old roomie was a pretty fluent Russian speaker, that language looks like a beast and I would not recommend it.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: rodfarva]
    #8532497 - 06/17/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i'm studying both german and spanish (double majoring)

both are fairly easy to learn, though i'd recommend spanish over german if you live in the us.

thats' bullshit you won't use it.

i use mine all the time now to talk with coworkers to make fun of all the other gringos muaahaha

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #8532521 - 06/17/08 03:38 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

"oh no! I have to study another language!"

get over it and learn some spanish!

Espanol es necesito en los Estados Unidos, estes dios!

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: Need a foriegn language to graduate [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8532526 - 06/17/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

WEll thanx for all the usefull input. I hadnt considered German but that is as good language as any in an economic sence. Manderin/chineese is not on my list because i dont like china, or where our relationship with them is headed (US.) Japan, however, is an easy country to go to and if i wana get high i dont risk exicution. Many job oppertunities with the japs (that dont threaten US national interests.)

I live in SE MI, and there are arabs EVERYWHERE. Its like saudi fucking arabia in a few places around here. The signs arnt even in english. I could use said skills as a lawyer or in a job with the government. People who speak Arabic and are not Arab nationals are in high demand from many employers.

Spanish is good to know, but the only time ive ever needed to speak it was for having sex with mexican chicks, or how to order my drink in Cabo. Im not trying to say there arnt alot of mexicans here there and everywhere, but i dont fucking care to speak to people in a second language while im in Michigan.

French would be awesome for all the time i spend in Canada. All the people that speak french know english already. IDK if that means its usefull or not.

I will get the Rosetta and stuff ASAP. It sounds like exactly what i need. Might as well spend a few hours with each of the languages before i dedicate myself to one.

Thanks again
~RF

--------------------

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8532536 - 06/17/08 03:53 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
"oh no! I have to study another language!"

get over it and learn some spanish!

Espanol es necesito en los Estados Unidos, estes dios!

Its funny, when i was a little kid i could speak spanish just fine. I certainly understand a bit now but its amazing how ive forgotten 95% of the language. My second family is from south America and my sister is half US / half latino. Im worried about two things. First i think it will be frustrating as fuck having to learn the language again in an academic fashion, and second, i dont wish to facilitate another minority in the US to the end of them not having to learn English. Sub-classes dont do well in the US. Look how huge a negative impact racism toward black people in this country still has. Hell my work is now motivated to have a Spanish speaking element in the company and we have had to hire translators to relay instructions from the boss regarding job responsibilities. Its to much man. I love the culture i just dint want to be apart of it all the time. If i Wanted that i would go live where its warm and fucking beautiful. ( mexico, puerto-rico, etc..) I risk sounding a little prejudice here, so let me say this: the US melting pot is wonderful IMO, But if you are going to add your culture and grammar to the whole, you must also absorb the rest with an open mind. (learn english)

you are right about needing spanish, It would be the language i would use most frequently. I just doubt the quality of the conversation i could have in spanish in consideration of how it will make me money or get me a job. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#8532556 - 06/17/08 04:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

rodfarva said:
i dont wish to facilitate another minority in the US to the end of them not having to learn English. Sub-classes dont do well in the US. Look how huge a negative impact racism toward black people in this country still has. [...] I risk sounding a little prejudice here, so let me say this: the US melting pot is wonderful IMO, But if you are going to add your culture and grammar to the whole, you must also absorb the rest with an open mind. (learn english)

Yeah, just look at the impact of racism on people thinking negatively about learning more than one language... (in Europe you HAVE to be bilingual)

Maybe you could help latinos to not be a subclass by not expecting them to live up to white Anglo-Saxon standards (ex. "if UR gonna live in 'Merica you shud lern sum EEnglish!")

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8532577 - 06/17/08 04:23 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
Quote:

rodfarva said:
i dont wish to facilitate another minority in the US to the end of them not having to learn English. Sub-classes dont do well in the US. Look how huge a negative impact racism toward black people in this country still has. [...] I risk sounding a little prejudice here, so let me say this: the US melting pot is wonderful IMO, But if you are going to add your culture and grammar to the whole, you must also absorb the rest with an open mind. (learn english)

Yeah, just look at the impact of racism on people thinking negatively about learning more than one language... (in Europe you HAVE to be bilingual)

Maybe you could help latinos to not be a subclass by not expecting them to live up to white Anglo-Saxon standards (ex. "if UR gonna live in 'Merica you shud lern sum EEnglish!")

Maybe you missed the part about half my family being from south america and btw a few of them still havent learned English. Perhaps im speaking from experience not racism? Its like saying i dont want my cousin to be gay. Its not because i have any problems with gay people, i just hope that he will not face the challenges gays do in the US. You can react to that however you want but i can assure you there is no discriminatory intent. I fucking LOVE latino culture, Im just faced with the idea that mexicans in particular are getting to comfortable with the idea that the US is accepting of them and they dont need english skills.

Take my extended family for example. The ones that have mastered english are lawyers, doctors, or high ranking professionals. The ones that never learned english that well are construction laborers and minum wage janitorial staff etc. Im not happy speaking spanish to my staff so i can make them do the job right. i feel like im bastardizing them when i used to manage this kitchen. I did about jack shit as far as my job description goes, but the non english speaking staff worked their asses off for a fraction of my salary.

About Europe; maybe you forgot why i started this post. I need to be bi-lingual in Detroit if i want to graduate college. Im not afraid to learn. I am however pissed off the foreign language department requires 4 day a week classes that your not ever allowed to miss. I prefer once a week classes, and loose restrictions incase i get called into work a few of those days.

If i didnt have so much shit going on i would try and learn every language. But for now i need to get good at one, and i want it to be useful in the short term of my money making.

--------------------

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
    #8532627 - 06/17/08 05:08 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i think it's better studying a second languege that you are sure to be able to use everyday! if you're thinking of learning a second languege to MAYBE use it for job skills you'll probably never be good enough in it to actually use it IMHO :smirk:

i'd say go for the spanish!
my mom is from paragui and i have lots of spanish speaking people in my family but i've never been able to speak or understand it good enough and it always felt like i was missing out.

now i have a Spanish girlfriend from Barcelona and i'm probably heading that way soon, i embrace the orpretunety to be able to finelly learn spanish...
and its SO easy, so similar to english and so intuative for me :shrug:

don't you want to be able to communicate with your family in their native tongue?

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlinerodfarva
Male

Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Simisu]
    #8532964 - 06/17/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This is a good point ( or two )

--------------------

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
    #8532994 - 06/17/08 09:24 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

People in French Canada know french because there are laws against going to school in English. Some of us know English because we're screwed as soon as we leave our Province.

French is useless and dying, don't learn it, unless you wanna seduce a woman.

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Neobean]
    #8533020 - 06/17/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Neobean said:

Yeah who would want to do that :rolleyes:

rodfarva, I found a great website for learning languages.  It's free, but you can access personal tutors and other features for a fee.  I described it in my Languages! thread.  I've been learning French using it and Rosetta stone and I'm making progress more quickly than I thought.

If I were you I'd do Spanish.  The pronunciation rules are easy, and you said you have some previous experience.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Neobean]
    #8533026 - 06/17/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Neobean said:
People in French Canada know french because there are laws against going to school in English. Some of us know English because we're screwed as soon as we leave our Province.

Ostie de cabochon de calisse.

Anybody can go to an english school here, what the fuck are you talking about with your laws against it ?`

French isn't useless and is far from dead. Ever heard about Belgium, Switzserland, Gabon, Haiti, Niger..?

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: Need a foreign language to graduate [Re: Snape]
    #8533035 - 06/17/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

sign language is really useful

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale