Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBombaRed
Stranger
Noob Michigan Hunter, I need some tips.
    #8529650 - 06/16/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So Im new to mushroom hunting, and have yet to go on my first trip. Ive surprised myself that its taken this long for me to get into mushroom hunting, because Im a bird watcher, wild herb hunter, tree frog hunter, and I look for bugs too.

Im located in mid-michigan, and intend on heading to a place us locals call "The Alkali" for my first hunt. It is located on the edge of the of a river, and has very good drainage in the soil. In the back of the property is a decent sized compost dump used mostly for grass and tree clippings. By decent sized I mean far more than 20 dump trucks filled to the brims worth of compost.

I was going to head out today with my camera for my first search, but it just started down pouring. Its been raining heavy for several days now, and its not about to stop.

So heres my questions:
Any general suggestions not covered in the mushroom hunting FAQ on this site?
What can I expect to find in michigan?
What kind of actives can I find in michigan?
What might I expect to find with these several days of rain?
How should I "pick" my mushrooms? (morel pickers always cut above the base before mycelium.)
When picking, is storing them in a mesh and paper bags fine?
Is there anything I can do to provoke the grow of mushrooms in the years to come? Like putting elm logs in the compost or something?
Can someone please give me the full name for subbs, they have me a bit confused?

Main reason I ask about the actives is that a friend told me psilocybins don't grow in michigan or something along those lines. I personally think he's either misinformed or full shit.

Ill be getting a few books and guides when I can afford it. For the time being, I wont be picking until I have some books. Ill just take pics and do descriptions for ID requests.

Last but not least, My mother uses dial-up and gas is expensive. If I want to use anything faster than dial up I have to drive, which I cant afford. So I finding information on mushrooms where sites have many pictures is an extremely slow and frustrating process.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
Re: Noob Michigan Hunter, I need some tips. [Re: BombaRed]
    #8529685 - 06/16/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Welcome to the shroomery!

Quote:

By decent sized I mean far more than 20 dump trucks filled to the brims worth of compost.

I am not sure what kind of mushrooms you will find on those clippings.  You might want to try the compost piles at horse stables.

Quote:

I was going to head out today with my camera for my first search, but it just started down pouring. Its been raining heavy for several days now, and its not about to stop.

Ok be sure to post some pics.  You should go hunting every day for the next week at least.

Quote:

Any general suggestions not covered in the mushroom hunting FAQ on this site?

The Mushroom Hunting FAQ covers most things.

Quote:

What can I expect to find in michigan?

See hunting forum rule # 3

3. Do not ask what mushrooms can be found growing in your state or immediate area.
This information is easily found in the Mushroom Hunting FAQ and/or has been posted at least once elsewhere on the net. Also see this document: http://www.shroomery.org/8461/Which-mushrooms-grow-wild-in-my-area

Quote:

How should I "pick" my mushrooms? (morel pickers always cut above the base before mycelium.)

Pick them carefully so there is no trace of your presence after you leave.  Cover over the hole so no one can see where it was and if you don't take the mushroom with you, bury it under some leaves so there aren't mushrooms laying all over the place.

Quote:

When picking, is storing them in a mesh and paper bags fine?

Use paper bags.

Quote:

Is there anything I can do to provoke the grow of mushrooms in the years to come? Like putting elm logs in the compost or something?

Yes, many things.

Quote:

Can someone please give me the full name for subbs, they have me a bit confused?

Check out this thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8155733/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

And read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolus_subbalteatus

http://www.shroomery.org/9608/Subbedhunter420s-Guide-to-Hunting-and-Identifying-Panaeolus-subbalteatus

http://www.impakt.net/~tyler/subbs/

Quote:

Main reason I ask about the actives is that a friend told me psilocybins don't grow in michigan or something along those lines. I personally think he's either misinformed or full shit.

Psilocybes are not common but there are a few.  Panaeolus subbalteatus is common in every state.

Quote:

Ill be getting a few books and guides when I can afford it. For the time being, I wont be picking until I have some books. Ill just take pics and do descriptions for ID requests.

Try to ID every mushroom you find, make as many ID requests as you can.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck