Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
WTF DOES FINCH SEED LOOK LIKE ?!?!?!!
    #852731 - 08/30/02 06:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

ok ... i posted a question awhile back about what the best substrate was for growing creepers and Eq's. The answer i got was finch seed. Also rye berry. Someone else seed straight coco noir was the chronic. Well. ... i went out and bought a 10 pound bag of finch seed. the seeds are very thin and they're about a centimeter in length. most are black and very few are a dark brown ... and even fewer are light brown. now ... the lady at the store said it's also called thistle ... is this good shit? if not ... wtf should i ask for ... if yes ... am i to just fill my pint jars with the thistle and some water ... boil .. slap on the micron filters ... cool em .. innoculate ... let them percolate ... put them in the peat moss ... lime flour ... water ... humidity ... joes your uncle your set? plz help me !

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: WTF DOES FINCH SEED LOOK LIKE ?!?!?!! [Re: Prodijal_Son]
    #852749 - 08/30/02 06:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

finch seed will say finch seed directly on the bag. it does not have a particular formula. the small pencil-lead sized bits that are black are thistle seeds. the round bb like ones are millet. anything under the sun can also be included.

what your question should be isn' t "what is finch seed," but rather what it is not.

finch seed does NOT contain sunflower seeds, at least not whole ones. it seems that whole sunflower seeds are very difficult to sterilize, almost impossible. mushroom mycelium has a difficult time penetrating the hard shell before contams allready inside it begin to take over. if one does manage to sterilize the sunflower seeds, there is so much caramelization that the mycelium doesn't like to eat it.

why this is important is that one can usually buy like fifty pounds of wild bird seed for the price of ten pounds of finch seed.

i have thrown out at least a hundred pounds of wild bird seed, before i realized that it was the sunflower seeds.

incidently, for some reason it does not help to remove the sunflower seeds from wild bird seed. it is probably somthing to do with mold spore count and dirty seeds in general.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: WTF DOES FINCH SEED LOOK LIKE ?!?!?!! [Re: Prodijal_Son]
    #852797 - 08/30/02 07:17 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In defense of wild bird seed:

Finch seed is usualy -- predominatly white & red millet.

The Raccoon did PF style cakes one time. The result was fine. Excepting, it was a lot of work -- for a smal return. The Coon's next try was rye spawn to a bulk substrate. The return magnified manyfold.

Next, thinking innoc size of spawn was a prime factor. The Coon bought a 45 pound bag of wild bird seed at Petco ($8) & tried it in quarts - as a spawn into a bulk substrate.

With more innoc points provided by a smaller seed size, colonization of a substrate was more rapid (A good thing - -).

Whatever type seed or grain you use -- it all gets sterilized (if you do it right).

At first, the Racccon scooped out most of the empty millet hulls & sunflower seeds (broken & whole) -- from the wild bird seed mix.

Then, one time he didn't. It still worked fine. The trick is to sterilize it in a PC for an adiquate time, pressure & temp. If you can manage to do that, the jars content is sterile.

The Raccoon swears by wild bird seed (spawn) & it seldom fails him. But, whatever floats your boat. The best bet, is to try several grains and/or seeds.
Then, stick with whatever works best -- for you.

PS: WBS was simply soaked overnight, rinsed & drained WELL. Loaded into quart jars (3/4 full), filter disk appied & PC'ed @ 15 pounds for 60 -- 75 -- 90 minutes. Time was dependent getting back to it & dealing with it. Always PC at least 60 minutes.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags