Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day (new photos)
    #8524603 - 06/14/08 07:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I expect IDs on all of these please!!! Thanks in advance heehee... But yo... which ones are safe to eat? All of them? right now? come on!!! i have a party to go to!!!! :hehehe:

Ok... here is what looks to be little corts of some kind perhaps.

And now for the uncommon blue staining mushroom (maybe even a first at the shroomery). I thought they were really cool after noticing this bluing reaction, however at the time the were discovered in the forest I wasn't terribly impressed or intrigued. So maybe i should go back, try to collect more and get a few situ shots.

Lepiota caerulescens

And a jar of stuff used to make Melzer's reagent.

Edited by georgeM (06/17/08 11:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: georgeM]
    #8524655 - 06/14/08 07:32 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That Lepiota is astonishing?Amazing?Unheard of?:shocked:

Don't snort that whole jar.........

without me.:evil:

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: georgeM]
    #8524661 - 06/14/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i see you are i a hurry dont eat the inocybe, but i guess you can eat the rest  make tea  with ganoderma and  pycnoporus, and other trametalles there , you can use  your cup fungus to decorate special dishes,eat the lactarius , and the other pleurotoid fungus you can eat  if they have  white print, ufff,  hope i make it all right .ha ha  :grin:

being serius  whoa i have never seem something like it

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8524689 - 06/14/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:eek:  Amazing!

Does anyone know if it is psychoactive?

I think Peele was spouting off about some Lepiota in Florida like L. memorii that was supposedly psychoactive.

Yes, George, get the situ shots!

Invisiblewisp

Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8524722 - 06/14/08 08:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

That bluing is incredible.

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: wisp]
    #8524901 - 06/14/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Those Lactarius were pretty darned hot! They went home with someone who wants to try pickling.

The Bluing Lepiota were collected by someone i went hunting with today, i do remember the exact spot where it was found however i don't know who found it. It looked like cristata in the field -- a pretty uninteresting mushroom -- and we came very close to tossing it back.

I have an article around here somewhere about a reportedly psychoactive Lepiota species, I'll have to look around for it. I would hate to speculate about these. The bluing is rather peculiar -- unlike what I would expect of a psychoactive Psilocybe.

I will try to head back out to the location in the next few days, apparently this mushroom was collected and recorded in Kansas before.... in 1944 and 1958.

Danny Glick... read the label. the contents of this jar (and presumably the jar itself) are for manufacturing purposes only... or for use as prescribed by a doctor... but you are a practicing doctor aren't you?

I like how it says:
POISON
ANTIDOTE
Call a physician at once!

InvisibleDannyGlick

#8524936 - 06/14/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Good stuff that powder.When it kills you it sucks.:mad2:

So you would say the Lepiota doesn't show active bluing?Does?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: DannyGlick]
    #8524953 - 06/14/08 09:09 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

According to Dr. Kuo, Lepiota caerulescensstains blue upon handling.  It isn't the first Lep I've known to do that.

Maybe George will tell us what he used the Chloral Hydrate for.  :confused:

OfflineRandomHero
�.ǝןqısuodsǝɹɹı
 User Gallery

Loc: shroomery.org Flag
Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: DannyGlick]
    #8524965 - 06/14/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Cool mushies, that hue of blue has me feeling lucid

I do believe one part alcohol and one part chloral hydrate = a mickey
Something you wouldn't wanna give your buddy

--------------------
Been you to have any spike, man?.

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8524972 - 06/14/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:Maybe George will tell us what he used the Chloral Hydrate for.  :confused:

He is a :spock: kind of guy.

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8525295 - 06/14/08 11:04 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

In addition to the Micky thing, chloral hydrate is used in Melzer's reagent; a solution for testing reactions to iodine.

Apparently using simple tincture of iodine to test for amyloid/dextrinoid reactions (or a lack of reaction) can give inconclusive results.

For further info, check out FUNGI Article Archives and download Melzer’s, Lugol’s or Iodine for Identification of White-spored Agaricales? by Lawrence M. Leonard.

I'll take a few pictures while putting together the Melzer's... it will probably be a fairly boring series of photos featuring a scale and three crystalline substances (two white and one metallic)... and maybe even a test tube for dramatic effect.

Then maybe -- JUST MAYBE -- we can look at some Lepiota caerulescens spores. In all likelihood a few spores can be found, but unfortunately these mushrooms didn't travel well and have refused to drop thick prints... another reason to go look for more right?
Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:Maybe George will tell us what he used the Chloral Hydrate for.  :confused:

Man what did you think i was going to do?!?!?! Just for the record, i don't wear polo shirts, cargo shorts, flipflops, and ball caps... nor am i a fan of college football.... so yeah

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8525311 - 06/14/08 11:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Absolutely!

In case no one knew, Melzer's reagent is a DEA approved substance because of the Chloral Hydrate.  Class 3 or 4 I think.

You GOTTA get some more of these!

Good luck! :smile:

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8525313 - 06/14/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DannyGlick said:
So you would say the Lepiota doesn't show active bluing?Does?

I don't know. :shrug:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8525328 - 06/14/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

georgeM said:
Quote:

Man what did you think i was going to do?!?!?! Just for the record, i don't wear polo shirts, cargo shorts, flipflops, and ball caps... nor am i a fan of college football.... so yeah 

Me neither.  But I think Danny's question referred to whether the staining was natural or induced by the Chloral Hydrate.

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8525330 - 06/14/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah... chloral hydrate is a class IV

The bluing reaction occurred as the result of damage and or drying and had nothing to do with exposure to any chemicals -- other than the naturally occurring chemicals in the atmosphere of course. 

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8525350 - 06/14/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

georgeM said:
Quote:

Me neither.  But I think Danny's question referred to whether the staining was natural or induced by the Chloral Hydrate.

Just what are you guys implying haahaa... ok... let me clarrify... i don't own any albums by Usher, M and M, or.... that band with the guy who has short hair who acts like a real ladies' man.... nor do i say things to women like "Come on babyyyy..... trust me... now let me get you a drink"

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #8525370 - 06/14/08 11:36 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, love the bluing Lepiota.  If you want microscopy of your poorly traveled sample, let me know.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8525382 - 06/14/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Anyways, congrats on your find.  And Workman is a great guy to send samples to.  One of the finest here.

:thumbup:

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Blue staining mushroom you don't see every day... and a jar of stuff. [Re: Workman]
    #8525397 - 06/14/08 11:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Actually I can take care of it but thanks for offering. I just put my printing slide under the scope and there are plenty of spores to work with so micrographs will be up in a day or so.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #8525614 - 06/15/08 12:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

>I expect IDs on all of these please!!! Thanks in advance heehee... But yo...
>which ones are safe to eat? All of them? right now? come on!!! i have a
>party to go to!!!!

It's funny because it is true.  :rolleyes:

>Good stuff that powder.When it kills you it sucks.

Yeah, that's all bad.

>Just for the record, i don't wear polo shirts, cargo shorts, flipflops, and ball
>caps... nor am i a fan of college football....

Are you mocking me?!  :mad:

You knoooooow, whenever you're done with that microscopy, if you wanted to send me a little piece of the cap I'm sure Else would be more than happy to have it sequenced.  The blue mushrooms look pretty cool during extraction process when all you have is a blue liquid.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale