Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Tim Russert Dead at 58
    #8519911 - 06/13/08 02:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Woah, I liked meet the press =[

Quote:

NBC's Tim Russert dead at 58
Washington bureau chief, ‘Meet the Press’ moderator collapsed on job
BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and MSNBC
updated 3:39 p.m. ET, Fri., June. 13, 2008

WASHINGTON - Tim Russert, NBC News’ Washington bureau chief and the moderator of “Meet the Press,” died Friday after a sudden heart attack at the bureau, NBC News said Friday. He was 58.

Russert was recording voiceovers for Sunday’s “Meet the Press” program when he collapsed, the network said. He and his family had recently returned from Italy, where they celebrated the graduation of Russert’s son, Luke, from Boston College.

No further details were immediately available.

Russert was best known as host of “Meet the Press,” which he took over in December 1991. Now in its 60th year, “Meet the Press” is the longest-running program in the history of television.

But he was also a vice president of NBC News and head of its overall Washington operations, a nearly round-the-clock presence on NBC and MSNBC on election nights.

He was “one of the premier political journalists and analysts of his time,” Tom Brokaw, the former longtime anchor of “NBC Nightly News,” said in announcing Russert’s death. “This news division will not be the same without his strong, clear voice.”

In 2008, Time Magazine named Russert him one of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Timothy John Russert Jr. was born in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 7, 1950. He was a graduate of Canisius High School, John Carroll University and the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law. He was a member of the bar in New York and the District of Columbia.

Senate staffer before entering journalism
After graduating from law school, Russert went into politics as a staff operative. In 1976, he worked on the Senate campaign of Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-N.Y., and in 1982, he worked on Mario Cuomo’s campaign for governor of New York.

Russert joined NBC News in 1984. In April 1985, he supervised the live broadcasts of NBC’s TODAY show from Rome, negotiating and arranging an appearance by Pope John Paul II, a first for American television. In 1986 and 1987, Russert led NBC News’ weeklong broadcasts from South America, Australia and China.

Of his background as a Democratic political operative, Russert said, “My views are not important.”

“Lawrence Spivak, who founded ‘Meet the Press,’ told me before he died that the job of the host is to learn as much as you can about your guest’s positions and take the other side,” he said in a 2007 interview with Time magazine. “And to do that in a persistent and civil way. And that’s what I try to do every Sunday.”

Cuomo, Russert’s onetime boss, wrote of Russert: “Most candidates are not eager to present themselves for Tim’s incisive scrutiny, which is fed by his prodigious study and preparation. But they have little choice: appearing on ‘Meet the Press’ is today as vital to a serious candidate as being properly registered to vote.”

Russert wrote two books — “Big Russ and Me” in 2004 and “Wisdom of Our Fathers” in 2006 — both of which were New York Times best-sellers.

Emmy for Reagan funeral coverage
In 2005, Russert was awarded an Emmy for his role in the coverage of the funeral of President Ronald Reagan. His “Meet the Press” interviews with George W. Bush and Al Gore in 2000 won the Radio and Television Correspondents’ highest honor, the Joan S. Barone Award, and the Annenberg Center’s Walter Cronkite Award.

Russert’s March 2000 interview of Sen. John McCain shared the 2001 Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Excellence in Television Journalism. He was also the recipient of the John Peter Zenger Award, the American Legion Journalism Award, the Veterans of Foreign Wars News Media Award, the Congressional Medal of Honor Society Journalism Award, the Allen H. Neuharth Award for Excellence in Journalism, the David Brinkley Award for Excellence in Communication and the Catholic Academy for Communication’s Gabriel Award. He was a member of the Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame.

Russert was a trustee of the Freedom Forum’s Newseum and a member of the board of directors of the Greater Washington Boys and Girls Club, and America’s Promise — Alliance for Youth.

In 1995, the National Father’s Day Committee named him “Father of the Year,” Parents magazine honored him as “Dream Dad” in 1998, and in 2001 the National Fatherhood Initiative also recognized him as Father of the Year.

Irish America magazine named him one of the top 100 Irish Americans in the country, and he was selected as a Fellow of the Commission of European Communities.

Survivors include Russert’s wife, Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair magazine, whom he met at the 1976 Democratic National Convention; and their son, Luke.

Check back soon for more on this breaking story.
© 2008 MSNBC Interactive
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25145431/

Oh, and R Kelly was aquitted =\

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #8520078 - 06/13/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

No shit, I heard this on NPR on the way home from work.

A shame, Tim Russert was one of the more honest men in the media today.

I will miss him.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #8520132 - 06/13/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Who?

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: Tangerines]
    #8520137 - 06/13/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You wouldn't know him.

The Cable News probably hasn't reached Ohio yet.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8520138 - 06/13/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Cable? I don't have that. Or radio for that matter.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
    #8520172 - 06/13/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

probably a stress induced heart attack. thats gotta be a stressful job. RIP TR.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #8520179 - 06/13/08 03:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, that sucks, he was one of the last decent news reporters.  My neighbor's gonna be devestated.  He knows all the news personalities back and forth.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8520183 - 06/13/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Who cares.  People die everyday. Granted 58 is young, he's no better than anyone else.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
    #8520186 - 06/13/08 03:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

they arent asking for sympathy. theyre just informing everyone that a well known news anchor media dude died.

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8520187 - 06/13/08 03:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Oh.

Offlinedrok
carpetbagger
Male User Gallery

Loc: on my high horse
    #8520194 - 06/13/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, R.I.P
Tim was a "real" dude, at least in front of the camera

--------------------
CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: drok]
    #8520202 - 06/13/08 03:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, there goes about 80% of all the truth that remained on network television.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #8520528 - 06/13/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:sad:

The man has always had my utmost respect for his no bullshit, honest reporting. 
He loved his job, and he did it better than anyone else I know.  He will be missed. :heart:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25146992#25146992
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25146085#25146085
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25147365#25147365

Quote:

Tangerines said:

Who cares.  People die everyday. Granted 58 is young, he's no better than anyone else.

I care, not so much about the death of one man, though he is the only journalist I would go out of my way to support and express my admiration for.  His death in and of itself isn't what has me so sad, but the loss of such a powerful, intelligent, committed, and above all else HONEST reporter is what really gets me.  I have trouble coming to terms with how our often scandalous media can afford such a loss. 

This is a HUGE loss for American political journalism.  :crying:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinedrok
carpetbagger
Male User Gallery

Loc: on my high horse
Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: geokills]
    #8521548 - 06/13/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineAnarchoTrip
Young Blood
Male User Gallery

Re: Tim Russert Dead at 58 [Re: drok]
    #8521574 - 06/13/08 09:12 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i heard someone on the news compare it to JFK dying.

...c'mon.

--------------------
YIPPIE!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom