Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelester
String Snapper

I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right
    #8516715 - 06/12/08 06:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry to sound drammatic, but I'm sick of failed Pf Jars, 1 bacterial contaminated WBS run and another failed 1/2 pint attempt.

My jars have never looked like this:

Sorry guys - I'm just so damn sick of failing after 6 months of this sheit. I am currently attempting a rye run as a last ditch effort. I'd be happy to simply colonize a jar to full whiteness, and leave it alone afterwards ..

I never seem to get the moisture right. There is a good rubbermaid incubator and plently of GE for the jars for the job. They always stall..

Any tips before I pack it in?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: lester]
    #8516724 - 06/12/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Try grain spawn.

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: lester]
    #8516736 - 06/12/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

What are your sterile procedures?
If you are getting contams on every try, I would bet its in your sterile procedures.
Go overboard, you cant be too careful.

Offlinelester
String Snapper

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: creekfreek]
    #8516865 - 06/12/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

No, it's not sterility .. although I've had minor issues which have been fixed.

The problem is colonization - nothing ever "taken off" in my jars .. always slooow or stalled.

Offlineoriginal1986
shroomConnoisseur
Male User Gallery

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: creekfreek]
    #8516886 - 06/12/08 07:30 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Are you using an incubator? are you using a PC? Man I feel for ya but dont give up maybe you have bad syringes or spore prints just go thriugh your procedure and try to follow the pf tek video as close as possible. Theres a good one by RR on you tube incase you didnt know. Well I hope you figure out whats going wrong Good Luck.
:mushroom2:
:jointsmile:
:mushroom2:

--------------------
I would like to thank all the people who contribute there knowledge on this site which helps the average person like my self take up this hobbie.I see no harm in growing for personal use ill never grow enough to get a serious charge and i have a pretty good lawyer.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: original1986]
    #8516914 - 06/12/08 07:39 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

What temps are you incubating at?

Offlinelester
String Snapper

#8516940 - 06/12/08 07:46 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I sterilize fine, use an incubator at 82 deg. steady.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

#8516949 - 06/12/08 07:47 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

turn that heat down to 78-80.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #8516968 - 06/12/08 07:52 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I never use a incubator. I just put it on a shelf in my air conditioned house set at 75. Works really well for me.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Offlinelester
String Snapper

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: Kada]
    #8517003 - 06/12/08 08:00 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

do people use anything on holes? I take off any tape/tyvek and let dry verm layer protect it ..

Offlineoriginal1986
shroomConnoisseur
Male User Gallery

#8517061 - 06/12/08 08:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

So far ive left the tape on but on my next grow i plan on removing it and letting the dry verm do its job. I wanna see if removing the tape will speed up colonization. personaly i love my incubator no contaminants as of yet. With the tape so far it has taken a minimum of 20-25 days but zero contaminants so maybe the wait is worth it.

--------------------
I would like to thank all the people who contribute there knowledge on this site which helps the average person like my self take up this hobbie.I see no harm in growing for personal use ill never grow enough to get a serious charge and i have a pretty good lawyer.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #8517067 - 06/12/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Lester, I'm sorry to say that there are many "holes" in your tek. (pun intended).  If your problem is slooooow colonization that eventually leads to contamination, you can't blame the spores or syringe.  You need to re-evaluate your procedures.  If I were you, I wouldn't give up completely.  Just stop what your doing so that you won't sink any more money into your hobby and study some more.  The "Let's grow Mushrooms" video segments are available on You Tube, or you can watch this video and get some other ideas.

Either way, you got off track some where and need a solid foundation to stand upon.  I wish you luck!

The Shroomy 1

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: DF DUBS
Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #8517103 - 06/12/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Some tips...

1. Make your own jars. If you order them, the get compacted in the mail, plus the verm barrier gets thrashed.

2. When you make your jars pack them as loose as possible. When you pick them up to look at them be gentle. You don't want to compact the substrate or mess up the verm barrier.

3. Boil your jars for 90 mins, with the foil on tightly and a lid on the pot. Let the pot cool overnight before opening. If the jars cool off quickly, they suck in air and the rapid cool off can cause the verm barrier to get moist.

4. After they cool off, remove the foil. I don't even put porous tape over the holes. That's what the verm barrier is for.

5. When you inoculate, make sure the needle goes all they way down past the verm layer. Don't use to much innoculant, but don't be skimpy either. Squirt untill the innoculant roles down the sides of the jars and hits the bottom.

6. I recommend letting them colonize at room temp. I knocked some up on the 3rd and the outside is almost all white already.

-- Always be sterile during inoculation. Use a glovebox ($5 tote) and flame the needle. Try to do this in a still-air room. If you need to, close the A/C vents.

Hope that helps man. Keep it up and things will start turning out good sooner or later. Don't give up.

--------------------
"I'm sofa king we todd did." ~ Rick James

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: DF DUBS
Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: HoleSnype]
    #8517117 - 06/12/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

One more thing. When I first started growing, I bought my jars off of the net. Colonization was ok, nothing special. Then I made my own jars and packed them loosely. The jars colonized to 100% twice as fast as the ones I bought.

Fresh and loose is the way to go brother!

--------------------
"I'm sofa king we todd did." ~ Rick James

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: HoleSnype]
    #8517144 - 06/12/08 08:31 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps maybe getting contamination because your using paper towel as a filter? lol

Anything above 80F stimulates thermophilic activity which will cause contaminants to to take over your jars

Try using smaller holes, like 1/16th inch holes. A real micron filter such as a Synthetic Filter disk. Prepare your jars yourself. Don't use so much water. Depending on how much water you use. It could be your drying method of the grains. PF Jars depending on what type of vermiculite you have, coarse or fine is much more suitable then medium grade.

What exactly are you doing?

Invisiblebillyboy36
Stranger
Loc: Canada
Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #8517157 - 06/12/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'd also say ditch the incubator until you get this figured out. There's a good chance that you are drying your jars up in the incubation process.  Esp. if all your jars are doing this.  like has been said, incubation is an unnecessary option.  jars will colonize just fine without incubation.  Incubators take a little bit of dialing in and, at best, simply speed the process up.  And as it sounds, you could care less that it takes a couple extra days to finish. 

The high incubation heat matched with nothing over the holes could be causing high levels of evaporation; leading to stalling.  That and even though there is a verm barrier, the open holes allow in more air-born contam's.  I'd say leave the tape on until about 60% colonized and then remove to help the jars finish off and ditch the incubator.

You're getting contamination in the stalled jars?  or are they just stalling?  And if they are contaminating, where are the nasties growing?  At the inoc points or elsewhere on the cakes?  near the top or near the bottom?  Are the cakes stalling near the top or the bottom?

Offlineoriginal1986
shroomConnoisseur
Male User Gallery

#8517338 - 06/12/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

the shroomy 1 thats a very good video ive been looking for a good video explaining the whole rye tek. ive had good results so far with the pf tek jars and casing brf cakes im ready to move on thanks excellent info.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8517958 - 06/13/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Any tips before I pack it in?

I have one! For what it's worth,

There is much more to mycology than just the growing aspect of it.

Searching for native specimens, learning to identify them, keeping extensive field notes.

(MY favorite), Amassing a vast collection of spore prints!

GOBS of research...

Don't let one aspect of this fascinating hobby determine whether or not you stay with it. If you have to, take a short break from trying to grow fruiting bodies and immerse yourself in the rest. I'd be willing to bet that in a very short amount of time, you will happily attempt more "failures"!
(keeping notes/logs of your "failures" turns them from "failures" into "valuable research" with the stroke of the pen!!)

Hang in there bro!    :woot:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleDrew Tyler
Look into the sky
Male

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8518549 - 06/13/08 05:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The reason you keep failing is because you fail to follow directions

--------------------
I'm a terrible, no good, very bad person.

Offlineweeeeeee
uhhhhhhh WTF!
Male

Re: I am about to give up this hobby unless I get colonization right [Re: Drew Tyler]
    #8518597 - 06/13/08 06:09 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i would suggest giving casings a shot make up some WBS jars and work with those.  My first attempt was with PF jars 
and i had 1 of 24 colonize and it contammed on me. i quickly said fuck this and switched to bulk and only now over a year later have i revisited the pf tek just for shits and giggles

--------------------
-plur-

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck