Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehappyhighbunny
Stranger

My outdoor patch just fruited
    #8493722 - 06/06/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

ok so I live in the very hot very dry southwest desert. Temps get up to 115 in summer, and single digit humidity.

During july humidity rises as we have frequent lightning storms, july is also the hottest time of the year, but for now im in june and low humidity, although humidity was in the 70s a day or two ago, so im thinking that caused my patch to fruit, but as of now were at 10% lol.

So to combat this, I have patch inside wood compost bin which is plastic lined on all 4 sides, but still air would be able to get out in cracks here and there.

So the problem has been to raise humidity, so I threw a bunch of wild bird seed into bin, and they all hatched and i have some green sunflower plants growing now, i duno if this will raise humidity or not???

I water every day, but the top layer dries out quick.  I added a bunch of plastic containers inside bin and filled them with water, hoping the heat would evap water and raise humidity.

I used moes tek and buried a old flushed out brf casing a month ago. The casing produced a lot of shrooms, but all skinny and small. I buried kinda deep, 8 or so inches, added layers of hay, steer manure, more hay, some verm, and left it be.

After a few weeks nothing, i found some dried out horse poo and started a new patch right beside old one and added  small layer of wet horse poo onto old patch.

2 weeks later the old patch fruited with 3 shrooms, all looking fat and nice.

My main problem though, BUGS.  My shrooms especially the caps are getting eaten before they can even mature. Some caps entirely, others a little.

I have a lot of ants crawling around patch, a ton of roaches, some flies, and i guess some snails also. A lot of roaches have already drowned in my plastic bins filled with water.

So my main question i guess is, how likely is this to survive come summer when temps are extreme, will it survive winter when temps go below freezing a few times a year, and how do i stop bugs and increase humidity.

Other that that it seems nature is taking its coarse, and im thrilled at how big and fat the shrooms growing are. It seems they love horse poo and cow poo. Also I didnt sterilize anything

Edited by happyhighbunny (06/06/08 06:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: My outdoor patch just fruited [Re: happyhighbunny]
    #8493975 - 06/06/08 07:20 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:cheers:

Offlinehappyhighbunny
Stranger

Re: My outdoor patch just fruited [Re: Lennyk]
    #8497800 - 06/07/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

update:

All three matured, 1 fattest and largest shroom ive had to date. yet were beat up pretty bad by the bugs, 1 only hung on by a few threads.

seems like i have more roaches if anything, i have collected dozens in my rain buckets so far, them and ants.

although I have seen plenty of snails and small flies dead also.

I think its time for Diatomaceous earth. I tried spraying pepper and chilli everywhere but bugs are still there. im hoping more mycelium will cultivate onto the horse poo and really produce some fat shrooms.

Edited by happyhighbunny (06/07/08 10:38 PM)

OfflineOwMyHead
Village eediyot
Female User Gallery

#8498764 - 06/08/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well, the thing with a compost bin is, the bugs are really part of the process.  So if you put too much anti-insect stuff in it, you're not going to have compost nearly as well.

I've thought about using my compost bin for cultivation.  Mainly decided against it because they I wouldn't be able to use it for . . . you know . . . compost.  :P

--------------------
Free the WM3!!!

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8513716 - 06/12/08 12:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, hey. I live in Southern Arizona and have just started reading up on outdoor tek. I plan on attempting a small patch in a real shady spot in the fall. I might have to tent the area for humidity, but it's pretty hidden.
I think the d-earth is a good idea, but you might want to use it a little at a time so as to remove only the major pests, (those damned BIG ass roaches!).
They hang out in the BOTTOM of my compost pile, so you might try putting the d-earth UNDER the pile first.
Don't you have those desert geckos everywhere? They might be enticed to live by the compost pile if you supply a reasonable "house" for them.
Good luck and keep us updated!

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: My outdoor patch just fruited [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8514179 - 06/12/08 05:43 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I like the idea of an outdoor grow only because I can not grow at the moment where I am,If I could I wouldn't even entertain the idea except as a novelty,it seems terribly inconstant from what I have seen and I have nave seen an out door grow produce one decent looking fruit that didn't have some sort of damage from insects or the elements :sad:

Invisiblewisp

Re: My outdoor patch just fruited [Re: Blutjager]
    #8514182 - 06/12/08 05:46 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah but how good would it be to see it fruiting in natural conditions! I don't think I would do an outdoor patch to try to acheive large yields but more to see mushrooms growing more naturally. Some species just like outdoors more anyway.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: My outdoor patch just fruited [Re: wisp]
    #8514186 - 06/12/08 05:48 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Id throw bad or spent casings outdoors and do that,I don't think I would go through the effort of actually preparing a grow specifically to grow outdoors only to get all the neighbored bugs and squirrels trippin :lol:

Invisiblewisp

#8514194 - 06/12/08 05:53 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I agree, bury old spent substrate and hope for the best. Actually preparing a patch seems like a lot of effort for minimal results.

If I lived in an area cold enough for azures I might do it though.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8514197 - 06/12/08 05:56 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:

If I lived in an area cold enough for azures I might do it though.

Got a link for a good outdoor azure tek :strokebeard: ??

Invisiblewisp

#8514203 - 06/12/08 06:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Nope, because I don't live in an area cold enough:lol:

I'm sure there's one out there though (?).

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8514206 - 06/12/08 06:01 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

:lol:

Invisiblewisp

#8514212 - 06/12/08 06:04 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Still I'd give them a go indoors...wouldn't expect much success but a single fruit would make me smile:yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck