Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOsculateOfDemise
Female User Gallery

Evolution is a lie
    #8469735 - 06/01/08 01:53 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Or so says this guy, who is all for creationalism.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>&lt;/object>

Agree? Disagree? Talk.

Sorry if this video has been posted before.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: OsculateOfDemise]
    #8469780 - 06/01/08 02:13 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

presupposition: mutations are destructive

presupposition: a video is a good way to present a very small number of claims over a loooonog 10 min video.

Do you have a synopsis or transcript of his points? These things are so slow and drawn out, sheesh.

But unless he demonstrates, beyond dogmatic belief, that mutations are destructive, I don't see how he's going to show anything. I gave up after 3 minutes

And things the like sickle cell mutation seem to be a very elegant demonstration of the benifits of mutation that aren't easily able to be disproved.

Offlinecheshirect666
Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Medford, Oregon
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: johnm214]
    #8469878 - 06/01/08 03:06 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i didnt finish it either:tongue2:

--------------------
Not all who wander are lost.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: cheshirect666]
    #8469886 - 06/01/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I hate it when people use a video when text would suffice. It's much harder to skim a video.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleOsculateOfDemise
Female User Gallery

Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: zouden]
    #8469899 - 06/01/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well there was no text and I am too lazy to go through it and type it out when it is much easier to have people watch it themselves.

But damn, you people have ADD or something. It's not that bad.

Offline3rdtreenz
Stranger
Male
Loc: Land HO!
    #8469967 - 06/01/08 04:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Wow people go to such amazing lengths to deliberately misunderstand things. Mutations can't be presumed to be always negative because they are random. Most of the time they are bad but good ones definitely occur look at plant and animal breeding for example, that's pretty much evolving the plants and animals to our liking.
There is no question that life changes and evolves by itself because it happens in front of our eyes. It's the extent to which evolution is true that can be put up for debate I guess, like did life really just form, and I found it interesting what he said about the fossil record. But at the end of the day he was deliberately missing the point and I bet the author himself realises it too. And neanderthals definitely are not people with rickets and syphalis, the symptoms are way different. I guess we're all liars.
I really dislike biased articles, probably only when I disagree though haha

--------------------
It's a reefer would you like some mindless. It's a reefer would you like a blast. It's a reefer would you like some mindless? Thanks for your company and thanks for the grass.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8470566 - 06/01/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OsculateOfDemise said:

Agree? Disagree? Talk.

I got scart twice.  Once when I saw the title of this thread and also when I saw it was a video.  After what the others said, I didn't need to watch it.

But, you have a nice avatar. :smile:

Invisiblewilgi
Stranger
Male

Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8470603 - 06/01/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

OsculateOfDemise said:

Agree? Disagree? Talk.

I got scart twice.  Once when I saw the title of this thread and also when I saw it was a video.  After what the others said, I didn't need to watch it.

the guy with the long hair with a finger in his mouth? what the hell dude?!

--------------------
retired

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Evolution is a lie (moved) [Re: OsculateOfDemise]
    #8470808 - 06/01/08 12:13 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Philosophy & Spirituality.

Reason:
This topic is better suited to the Science and Technology forum. I\'m moving it there where you\'ll get a better response anyway.

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: wilgi]
    #8470833 - 06/01/08 12:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

wilgi said:
Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Quote:

OsculateOfDemise said:

Agree? Disagree? Talk.

the guy with the long hair with a finger in his mouth? what the hell dude?!

that's a chick.

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: rev 766]
    #8470851 - 06/01/08 12:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i like how it says that evolution is dependent fully on mutations. a change in certain favorable allele frequencies in a population over time would be a better thing to pin evolution's dependence on. i got that far and couldn't watch anymore. fuck this idiot that made the video. he should commit tax fraud so he can go visit kent hovind in prison.

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

Invisiblewisp

Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: rev 766]
    #8471835 - 06/01/08 05:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I couldn't be bothered to even watch it, but there is no decent evidence out there to suggest that evolution is a lie. Quite contrary actually.

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #8473094 - 06/01/08 11:21 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, i didn't watch the video but my two cents on mutations and evolution that I think all ya'll would find interesting....

Mutations for asexual organisms can accumulate detrimental mutations that could impinge on the organism's survival.
Muller's Ratchet is the this theory. read more here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muller's_ratchet

So for sexually reproducing organisms.... We have the Red Queen Hypothesis, where the Red Queen states, "It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place."
It talks about the advantage of sexual reproduction and the arms race with competing organisms... Parasites evolve then the host organism evolves and vice-versa...

"For an evolutionary system, continuing development is needed just in order to maintain its fitness relative to the systems it is co-evolving with."

For more on the Red Queen... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen

lastly, something I think everyone should read about EPIGENETICS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics
http://www.epidna.com/
http://www.ehponline.org/members/2006/114-3/focus.html

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8474016 - 06/02/08 07:15 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> "For an evolutionary system, continuing development is needed just in order to maintain its fitness relative to the systems it is co-evolving with."

From what I have seen with simulated evolution for AI, natural selection stifles evolution while mass extinction drives evolution.

Natural selection tends to specialize members of a population into tight niches (or local minimums in the solution space). Almost all mutations results in a less fit organism. However, several generations down the road, the mutation may turn out to be for the better. Because there is no margin for error in highly specialized population, mutations are constantly weeded out of the population.

However, when you have a mass extinction, natural selection is put on hold for the few remaining organisms. They can mutate without fear of competition. Through these mutations, evolution occurs and new species are born. Eventually, as the populations grow, natural selection starts to kick in, and less fit species are weeded from the population as specialized niches form.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblewisp

Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: Seuss]
    #8474043 - 06/02/08 07:34 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Considering the fact that there have only been 5 known mass extinctions to date, what you say is pretty inaccurate. But we've already had this debate before:grin:

Mind you, when I can be bothered I'll post you some present day evidence of new species arising...

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: wisp]
    #8474116 - 06/02/08 08:22 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> Considering the fact that there have only been 5 known mass extinctions to date

The mass extinction of the dinosaurs is a good example, actually. How long did reptiles rule the planet? How long did mammals hide in holes while reptiles ruled the planet? How quickly did mammals evolve new species (literally thousands of them) once the dinosaurs became extinct?

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8474122 - 06/02/08 08:28 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not denying that mass extinctions play an important role in evolution for a second. But I think it is inaccurate to say they are the major driving force. It is true that mass extinction leads to rapid speciation, but small events play just as an important role. As does gradual change.

Take the way climate effects species. Climate changes slowly (relatively), and species adapt to it. Not all species can keep up though and over time rainforest can become a desert and vice versa, and species changes will follow.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Evolution is a lie [Re: wisp]
    #8474272 - 06/02/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

> It is true that mass extinction leads to rapid speciation

I think you are using the term evolution in the same way that I am using the term speciation... perhaps we simply have a conflict in terminology. If so, probably my mistake rather than yours.

Also, my observations are based upon organisms competing against each other in a simulation, thus I don't take into account slowly changing environmental factors, such as (normal) climate change.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

#8474988 - 06/02/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

hmmmm, evolution is a lie...

So not only is it false and does not occur, but some group somewhere purposefully spread this un-truth in an attempt to deceive the population? yea right...

I dont watch you tube videos, but Im gonna bet that whatever was on them only spoke against evolution and did not offer any evidence at all that it is a lie.

Invisiblewisp

#8475657 - 06/02/08 04:44 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The issue of terminology differences and lack of universally accepted definitions seems to be a bit of a problem here really.

Speciation is a part of evolution, and the gradual adaption of one species will over time result in the extinction of that one and the rise of a new one. The rise of horseshoe crabs is a good example, with obvious ties from trilobites to what they are today.

Still I really appreciate these dabates. Check your ratings.

I think you will be interested in the information on the present day evidence of the evolution of new a species when I post it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder