Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJstHereFrTheCake
Stranger
Growing outdoors
    #8466336 - 05/31/08 01:36 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey I am just wondering how difficult it is to grow outdoors.

I was going to start growing this summer I had everything lined up and had done the proper amount of reading and
all. But due to an unexpected situation I can't grow indoors anymore. So I was wondering if I could just grow
outside and how effective that could be.

I am thinking I would just colonize jars then break them up into some substrate in a darker shady place somewhere
outdoors and see what happens. I'm thinking under a deck could work alright, it never sees any direct sunlight and
the humidity this time of year is pretty high most of the time. I mean these things do grow outdoors naturally and
I would be helping them along a significant amount.

I was just wondering if there are any special precautions or things I should know for going this route since I don't
think there are any teks out there for this.

Anyways, if anyone knows anything about this and can clue me into some of the things I should watch out for or do to
be successful that would be great. This would be my first grow so I really don't have any experience.

Edited by JstHereFrTheCake (05/31/08 01:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Growing outdoors [Re: JstHereFrTheCake]
    #8466503 - 05/31/08 03:25 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I am new to this hobby but I have an outdoor grow right now that looks promising so maybe my opinion will help you.

There are "teks" and previous outdoor grow logs in abundance on this site. "Moe's Outdoor tek"...many more

Next to security I think the hardest part in outdoor crowing are insects and other creatures that like your mycelium for breakfast.In order to harvest anything you should use enough spawn. Using rye or other grain is not optimal because mice, rats etc. like that stuff. I have read it is better to spawn your grain to straw/manure or wood-ships and go from there.

I just used two healthy pf cakes. Buried them with leached horse manure and straw and put some peat moss over them.

But already there are snails munching mycelium. I am not going to use any pesticides. IMHO it sucks when people start using poison in there grow ops to kill snails, bugs...

Maybe a "snail fence" will help. I also spread some copper wire around.

have fun

--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: Growing outdoors [Re: pontus]
    #8466634 - 05/31/08 06:30 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pontus said:
I am new to this hobby but I have an outdoor grow right now that looks promising so maybe my opinion will help you.

There are "teks" and previous outdoor grow logs in abundance on this  site. "Moe's Outdoor tek"...many more

Next to security I think the hardest part in outdoor crowing are insects and other creatures that like your mycelium for breakfast.In order to harvest anything you should use enough spawn. Using rye or other grain is not optimal because mice, rats etc. like that stuff. I have read it is better to spawn your grain to straw/manure or wood-ships and go from there.

I just used two healthy pf cakes. Buried them with leached horse manure and straw and put some peat moss over them.

But already there are snails munching mycelium. I am not going to use any pesticides. IMHO it sucks when people start using poison in there grow ops to kill snails, bugs...

Maybe a "snail fence" will help. I  also spread some copper wire around. 

have fun

"wood-ships":cool:

I know it's only a typo but now I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a NAUTICAL outdoor grow. Like on a steamship or dingy or something. It would work I bet, I don't think the myc would get seasick.  :puke:

~Monk

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck