Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQCaz
Stranger
North Queensland Australia ID Help Pleas
    #8453894 - 05/28/08 03:41 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all, I hope you can help me with this ID. (please)

Im sorry to say I never really had an interest in Mushrooms before I found these growing & I suspected they might be Psilocybe Cubensis. But I now dont think thats what they are - but Im still curious!

My brother says theyre Queensland Goldtops - he also said he ate half of one about a year ago and it didnt do anything to him.

I do appologise about the long description - but I cant upload any photos. Ive tried my VERY best to know what Im talking about - but please be aware I only started looking up mushrooms on the internet 2 days ago when I found these! So I figured too much info would be better than facing the wrath of the moderators for being "another annoying ignorant newbie that didnt give enough info for an ID"

These mushrooms are growing in the backyard here in Far North Queensland, Australia.

The area Im in is classed as World Heritage Rainforest. However, these mushrooms are growing on the edge of our cleared house block. There are a few patches of them coming up, with about 3 or 4 fruit in each.

Habitat : Cow Dung (and possibly grass clippings - its a bit hard to tell as it has decomposed so much).
Towards the longer grass & more shady areas around the very edges of the yard - and I dont know if this is important - but our block slopes down gradually, and they are on the lower parts.

* Characteristics of the gills: They are a very dark grey colour - I dont know enough to say if they are attached or not. But there are a lot of gills all packed in very close to eachother. They seem to be growing all the way from the stem to the edge of the cap & are in a pattern of a long gill (level to the bottom of the cap) alternating with a short one that only reaches halfway down the lengh of the others, if that.

* Characteristics of the stem: They seem to be upto about 6 inches long at the most, and not any thicker than a pencil even on the biggest. Its a hollow stem, with a kind of pithy/stringy/woody texture that breaks easily along the length of the stem in long narrow fibres. (the only similar thing I can think of is sort of how chicken meat shreds in long thin particles). Its a silvery greyinsh colour - that when cut seems to bruise a very inky dark colour that I cant decide on between very dark greyish colour or a sort of very dark indigo bluish colour. It also stained a peice of paper with this colour - however only the smallest smudge.

* Characteristics of the cap: In a gentle bell shape, that starts of a creamy whitish yellow colour on the outside edges leading upto a slightly pointy top that fades to a darker gold/yellow/brown colour (In my wishful thinking I hope this is the nipple described). The top is of a waxy, smooth feeling and appears to be kind of frosted. There are also cracks under the surface of the healthy looking young ones. There was one yucky old one that went very dark brown with pronounced cracks and wrinkles in its surface. (I didnt touch it though to find out what it felt like - too squeamish!!)

* Spore print color (very important!): The spore print from 2 specimins are both very thick velvety appearance, where you can actually see a raised ridge pattern of the gills IN the spores, not just the pattern on the paper. They appear to be a dark velvety black.

* Color that the mushroom bruises: I tried to determine a bruising colour - and they didnt seem to bruise very much, but if they did it was to a very dirty kind of dishwater greyish colour. Although in some lights it did kind of look like a very weak murky blue (maybe wishful thinking??) - if it was blue at all it was like how very old blind animals eyes go that yucky grey/blue colour.
But it was slow to change colour.

* Scent of the mushroom: This will sound dumb - but they smell like mushrooms. Like the kind you buy at the supermarket. Sorry, but Im not a big fan of mushrooms - so I probably cant tell any differences in the smells unless they are quite pronounced.

* Anything else you might find important: I tried to ID them on the site. This is what it lists as results between 50 & 58% matches:
Clitocybe Inomata
Inocybe Geophylla
Panaeolus Papilionaceus
Russula Albonigra
Russula Densifolia
But I think I dont know enough about mushrooms in general to make that site realy useful to me.
The top of them (looking down at the cap) resembles pictures of Cubensis Ive seen on the net (in colour change from middle to edge & in general shape) - but the stems, and the way the top of the cap seems to curve into the stems on Cubensis pictures doesnt match my mushrooms.

Thank you so much for reading my lengthy description - I hope you can help me out and I also hope I might have found an active sppecies in my backyard!! (ultimate!) If theyre not active, I dont mind - Ive spent 2 days trying to figure out what the little blighters are and DESPERATLY need my curiosity laid to rest!!

QCaz.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
Re: North Queensland Australia ID Help Pleas [Re: QCaz]
    #8453984 - 05/28/08 05:03 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Not so sure by your description, they sound like inocybe or clitocybe.
Do try and get a pic or 2 up, youll have much better luck.

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
Re: North Queensland Australia ID Help Pleas [Re: QuantumReality]
    #8454017 - 05/28/08 05:30 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hey man yeah nice description, don't know if i can help a great deal though... Going on the spore print colour though, they'd most probably be either a Panaeolus, a Psathyrella, a Coprinus or a Stropharia.

Have you had a look at ..

Panaeolus foenesecii
Panaeolus cyanescens
Stropharia semiglobata
Coprinus atramentarius
Psathyrella candolleana

Any of those close?

P.S. What temperature is it up there at the moment? Psilocybe cubensis is generally a warm weather mushroom.

P.P.S I'm guessing there was no ring on the stem? That's also rule out Psilocybe cubensis

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineTittybong
BadAssMotherFucker
Male

Loc: Australia FNQ Flag
Re: North Queensland Australia ID Help Pleas [Re: QCaz]
    #17016793 - 10/12/12 05:43 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Hey bro Ive been in North australia for 26 years and am currently in FNQ. Of the twenty odd times I've been mushie picking 18 times it has all been blue meanies (Panaeolus cyanescens) and 2 times it has been all golden tops (Psilocybe cubensis) with the very occasional blue meanie. Blue meanies grow straight out of the dung, golden tops were the dung has been/decaying dung. Both species heavily bruise blue when put in a bag and left for half an hour. As for the other species people are listing i think there just guessing, these are defiantly the only two species of magic mushroom we get in FNQ that grow out of cow dung keeping in mind a lot of none psychedelic mushrooms also grow out of cow dung. Your best bet on your first time is get a veteran to go with you to identify to make sure you dont get sick.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck