Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
ID
    #8451082 - 05/27/08 03:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

[image]http://www.shroomery.o.-thumb_092_92.jpg[/image][/url] Found these today growing out of red clay soil near pine trees no print just took pics didnt pic any sorry i double posted sum picks im kinda over zealous oops

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8451095 - 05/27/08 03:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8451101 - 05/27/08 03:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Cool:cool:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8452635 - 05/27/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well, they look like a type of Macrolepiota to me. Maybe M. procera. They can be variable, I do not recall the correct terminology at the moment, just variable.

Check your books. Do a spore-print (as always). Those do not look like Chlorophyllum to me.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #8453296 - 05/27/08 11:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, those are Macrolepiota procera:

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/macrolepiota_procera.html

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID [Re: CureCat]
    #8453310 - 05/27/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

so there edible hot damn im going back tomorrow and pickin them

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8453422 - 05/28/08 12:23 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, but only eat a small portion the first time and then wait a day, as some people are sensitive to certain mushrooms. Also make sure they don't have a green spore print(which would indicate C. molybdites). It should be white.

--------------------

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8453448 - 05/28/08 12:31 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

ok thanx

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8453449 - 05/28/08 12:31 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

weiliiii, certainly do a spore print and research them yourself. Trust your own ID, or a professional with the mushrooms in their own hands.

I would recommend to you, that you aquire more then just several field identification guides, and check all resources before consuming a new mushroom, as many guides will label different species differently and include extra data.

Don't trust a moderator just because they say it is "THIS" mushroom precisely. It's not. Again I forget the correct wording, but there are variations to Parasol mushrooms in the southeastern United States. And it would suck for a mushroomer to claim over the internet they know exactly what mushroom such as this a person has found.

I would recommend to you first getting Identifying Mushrooms to Genus I by Largent. Bessetts book about Southeastern Mushrooms. And Kimbroughs Common Florida Mushrooms... another one I have about southeastern mushrooms it skips my mind right now (I got it for a penny at amazon. buy all these books Used at amazon). Also the Texas mushroom book (of which i do not own). Top it off with the Audubon Society book, Psilocybian mushrooms of the world by stamets, and mushrooms demystified and you would have a solid enough library to get by without the shroomery.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8453457 - 05/28/08 12:34 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yeah thanx dude. I never eat a shroom unless i know for sure what it is i mean 110% for sure man. Im gonna go collect sum tomorrow and get a print then work from there but thanx for the concern dude.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8453486 - 05/28/08 12:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Also, if you do not already know, always be careful when consuming a new species of edible mushroom for the first time. Only eat a couple bites to be on the safe side from poisoning and allergic reactions.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8453497 - 05/28/08 12:49 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

OK

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8455342 - 05/28/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hehehe.

--------------------

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
    #8455404 - 05/28/08 01:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

curecat remember my old post with these? we thought they were something else

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: ID [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8455412 - 05/28/08 01:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: Juke Adro]
    #8455792 - 05/28/08 03:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The big difference is that you're in Australia, and weiliiiiii is in the US. The mushroom I suggested in your thread does not grow in North America.

But anyway, I'll withdraw my allegation of species, and say that M. procera is the most commonly reported species of Macrolepiota in the US, though this may be due to similar assumption. These fit the description of M. procera, but could be something else. You won't know without a microscope.

I am not aware of any inedible Macrolepiota species, and would try them myself had I found them.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8455809 - 05/28/08 03:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:
weiliiii, certainly do a spore print and research them yourself. Trust your own ID, or a professional with the mushrooms in their own hands.

I would recommend to you, that you aquire more then just several field identification guides, and check all resources before consuming a new mushroom, as many guides will label different species differently and include extra data.

Don't trust a moderator just because they say it is "THIS" mushroom precisely. It's not. Again I forget the correct wording, but there are variations to Parasol mushrooms in the southeastern United States. And it would suck for a mushroomer to claim over the internet they know exactly what mushroom such as this a person has found.

I would recommend to you first getting Identifying Mushrooms to Genus I by Largent. Bessetts book about Southeastern Mushrooms. And Kimbroughs Common Florida Mushrooms... another one I have about southeastern mushrooms it skips my mind right now (I got it for a penny at amazon. buy all these books Used at amazon). Also the Texas mushroom book (of which i do not own). Top it off with the Audubon Society book, Psilocybian mushrooms of the world by stamets, and mushrooms demystified and you would have a solid enough library to get by without the shroomery.

Simply awesome advice!

C. Molly is one of the easiest mushrooms to misidentify. Even grad mycology students of Orson Miller's have ended up in the hospital over it.

Lepiotas and their cousins scare me enough I've never eaten one. Just too risky. I always wonder what a parasol tastes like because it is said to be nummo.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8455958 - 05/28/08 04:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Good advice. Some of it, yes.

The parts I object to are as follows:

"weiliiii, certainly do a spore print and research them yourself. Trust your own ID, or a professional with the mushrooms in their own hands.

I would recommend to you, that you aquire more then just several field identification guides, and check all resources before consuming a new mushroom, as many guides will label different species differently and include extra data."

I trust weiliiii to do so anyway. I don't think I need to warn those whose common sense seems to be intact. He hunts and eats mushrooms with caution from what I have seen.

"Don't trust a moderator just because they say it is "THIS" mushroom precisely. It's not. Again I forget the correct wording, but there are variations to Parasol mushrooms in the southeastern United States. And it would suck for a mushroomer to claim over the internet they know exactly what mushroom such as this a person has found."

I have a couple qualms with this.
First, rather than saying "don't trust someone" he says "don't trust a moderator" (= myself in this context). He likes to follow me around the forum and criticize my posts. I would not make such an accusation if I saw him make the same critiques to other peoples posts, however that is not the case. Not consistently anyway. Personal grudges are a bummer.

The other issue is that I have read GGO give the same advice, saying "it is ____". I call it hypocrisy.

Aside from that, I have no problems with his advice, and would say he that he makes some rather good recommendations.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8456140 - 05/28/08 05:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I always wonder what a parasol tastes

Procera has a mild flavor similar to slightly mushroomy eggs. The texture of the stems is sort of twiggy, IMO not worth eating and there is not much meat on the caps once they are cooked, still worth the effort.

Rhachodes has an intense flavor that is close to the flavor of A. bisporus. This Rhachodes is pretty scary, neither of these edibles are a beginner mushroom, but I've found both green gills and Rhachodes in the same sort of habitat, Rhachodes in an old chicken coop with a dirt floor and green gills in the basement of a barn with a dirt floor.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: ID [Re: falcon]
    #8456186 - 05/28/08 05:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't care for the flavour of the related Chlorophyllum brunneum much at all. As Falcon said, the stipe was fibrous and unappetizing. A spore print will separate C. molybdites from other Parasols.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags