Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDapster08
Stranger

growing problems
    #8434865 - 05/22/08 10:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hi iam completely new to growing. I bought a grow bag from Sporebank.com and it for one does not look like the pictures they had on the site. I followed all the proper procedures to sterelizing before I injected. I bought the B+ strain by the way. Well i inoculated the bag then taped the hole and all that. Placed it in a plastice storage box and i Put it in my attic during the day when its hot and take it out and put it in my closet at night because its warmer in my closet at night then the attic. I still have not seen any growth is this normal. Any recomendations?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: DF DUBS
Re: growing problems [Re: Dapster08]
    #8434886 - 05/22/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

How long has it been? First of all, keep the bag in your closet. You don't need to put it in a "hot" attic. That is a bad idea. Room temp is fine.

--------------------
"I'm sofa king we todd did." ~ Rick James

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8434900 - 05/22/08 10:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You first mistake was buying from Sporebank.com...

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: growing problems [Re: HoleSnype]
    #8434902 - 05/22/08 10:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HoleSnype said:
How long has it been? First of all, keep the bag in your closet. You don't need to put it in a "hot" attic. That is a bad idea. Room temp is fine.

You said it right...

--------------------
If y0u want s0meting gr0wn right, y0u g0tta gr0w it y0urself!!!

OfflineDapster08
Stranger

Re: growing problems [Re: Neobean]
    #8434959 - 05/22/08 10:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I recieved them on friday and started it on friday so a week in 30 minutes. I just looked at it today and still no sign of anything.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

#8434964 - 05/22/08 10:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dapster08 said:
I recieved them on friday and started it on friday so a week in 30 minutes. I just looked at it today and still no sign of anything.

It can take longer, depending on where you shot those spores into.

--------------------

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

#8434966 - 05/22/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Dude, chill out. A week isn't shit for a bag. Patience is probably more critical in this hobby than any other. Leave them at room temp, and leave them alone. They should be fine.

--------------------

OfflineDapster08
Stranger

#8434967 - 05/22/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

where would u advise getting a grow bag from or would u recomend trying the "cake" method?

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

#8434977 - 05/22/08 10:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dapster08 said:
where would u advise getting a grow bag from or would u recomend trying the "cake" method?

Don,t buy premade shit. Make your own. Use a rye berry tek, spawn to horse manure, watch it grow!

--------------------

OfflineDapster08
Stranger

#8435004 - 05/22/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

ok i feel what you mean. I was thinking it was a bad idea to buy the premade but ohwell. Where do u get the rye berry and do u mix the horse manure with the rye berry? I have cow manure already.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

#8435028 - 05/22/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dapster08 said:
ok i feel what you mean. I was thinking it was a bad idea to buy the premade but ohwell. Where do u get the rye berry and do u mix the horse manure with the rye berry? I have cow manure already.

Rye berry you can get from a farmer's coop I guess or a health store...
Cow manure is good, but horse is better.
Once your jars are colonized, spawn the rye to the manure...
There are teks for this if you search for them.

--------------------

InvisibleHoleSnype
I love me some me.
Male User Gallery

#8435031 - 05/22/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The search option (top right) is your best friend....

--------------------

Offlinethepaintingaccid
Stranger

Re: growing problems [Re: HoleSnype]
    #8435740 - 05/23/08 03:28 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The bag should have come presteralized. But then i've never bought one before. If consider getting serious start doing grains and spawning to bulk. Worth the effort for sure. Patience cannot be stressed. Spores take around a week to germinate.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: growing problems [Re: thepaintingaccid]
    #8436174 - 05/23/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Never use your attic for anything related to mycology unless you need to store some empty jars.  On an 80F day, your attic will easily reach 130F, killing any spores you may have injected.

I really don't understand the constant misinformation that gets passed off as knowledge on this and other boards.  Colonize projects at normal room temperature for best results.  I feel like I've typed that at least 1,000 of my 15,000 posts, but it just doesn't seem to sink in.  There's not a commercial mushroom farm in the world that uses silly-ass 'incubators' and their income depends on growing as many mushrooms as they can in the least amount of time. :shrug:
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Re: growing problems [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8436183 - 05/23/08 08:26 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Never use your attic for anything related to mycology unless you need to store some empty jars.  On an 80F day, your attic will easily reach 130F, killing any spores you may have injected.

I really don't understand the constant misinformation that gets passed off as knowledge on this and other boards.  Colonize projects at normal room temperature for best results.  I feel like I've typed that at least 1,000 of my 15,000 posts, but it just doesn't seem to sink in.  There's not a commercial mushroom farm in the world that uses silly-ass 'incubators' and their income depends on growing as many mushrooms as they can in the least amount of time. :shrug:
RR

I believe you RR...:bowdown:
We need an RR Robot to spread good information at random :P

--------------------

OfflineDapster08
Stranger

#8437267 - 05/23/08 03:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

ok...so are u saying that if i had put them in the attic they are now dead and will not grow? I did that like twice.

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

#8437398 - 05/23/08 04:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dapster08 said:
ok...so are u saying that if i had put them in the attic they are now dead and will not grow? I did that like twice.

No, no one can assume your grow is dead since we don't know the conditions your attic provides from your grow. If you went above 105 at any point in your attic, then your grow is probably focked up. If not, just stop putting it up there. Stick to mid 70s and you'll do just fine.

--------------------

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#8437512 - 05/23/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

RR,

I usually incubate at room temperature and only recently have began experimenting with incubators, mostly because i was able to loan a really expensive fluval aquarium heater from a friend. I've had some things in there for a couple of weeks. I monitor my temps with a non-ionoculated substrate jar that has a type-k thermocouple in the center. I have adjusted the heater to keep this internal tempaerature at 78-79 degrees. myc growth has been much better than my room temp growth.

anyhow, I think what RR is trying to say is that room temperature works well and avoids some of the problems that may occur with heater malfunctions, overheating, etc.

The problem that I see is that there is virtually no peer-reviewed information on 1) myc growth rates as function of substrate temperature or 2) information on heat-induced necrosis of spore or myc tissue. Everything we know about temperature is from some thing that says 86 F is optimal temp. i read this once, but don't recall if this was a peer-reviewed work or just some guy or what. however, 86 is way too high.

I did my masters and PhD on heat effects on plant tissue respiration, growth, necrosis, etc. I think incubators are a good idea if you carefully monitor the SUBSTRATE temperature and if we had data on myc growth rates (maybe percent cover time series), but IMO we don't have any good data on this yet.

Room temperature is safe, stable, and cheap. if all you're looking to do is produce myc, room temp is probablly the best bet. that said, we definately to de more REAL research on temperature effects on myc growth.

--------------------

OfflineNeobean
Adept Mycologist
Male

Re: growing problems [Re: nonlinear]
    #8437523 - 05/23/08 04:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
RR,

I usually incubate at room temperature and only recently have began experimenting with incubators, mostly because i was able to loan a really expensive fluval aquarium heater from a friend. I've had some things in there for a couple of weeks. I monitor my temps with a non-ionoculated substrate jar that has a type-k thermocouple in the center. I have adjusted the heater to keep this internal tempaerature at 78-79 degrees. myc growth has been much better than my room temp growth.

anyhow, I think what RR is trying to say is that room temperature works well and avoids some of the problems that may occur with heater malfunctions, overheating, etc.

The problem that I see is that there is virtually no peer-reviewed information on 1) myc growth rates as function of substrate temperature or 2) information on heat-induced necrosis of spore or myc tissue. Everything we know about temperature is from some thing that says 86 F is optimal temp. i read this once, but don't recall if this was a peer-reviewed work or just some guy or what. however, 86 is way too high.

I did my masters and PhD on heat effects on plant tissue respiration, growth, necrosis, etc. I think incubators are a good idea if you carefully monitor the SUBSTRATE temperature and if we had data on myc growth rates (maybe percent cover time series), but IMO we don't have any good data on this yet.

Room temperature is safe, stable, and cheap. if all you're looking to do is produce myc, room temp is probablly the best bet. that said, we definately to de more REAL research on temperature effects on myc growth.

You're from Quebec aren't you?

--------------------

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#8437543 - 05/23/08 04:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

nope, i'm out west :P

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract