Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

Loc: MA, U.S.A.
Backyard Hunt ID
    #8423882 - 05/20/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Whats up guys this is my first post, but Ive been cruising the forums on this site for a while, particulary this one. I went on my first hunt of the year yesterday, simply wandered through the woods in my backyard. Its been wet and cool up here in the Northeast so I figured there must be something growing, and sure enough I made a number of finds.

This is a mushroom I found growing inside a decaying log, there were probably about 6-10 of them in total. The cap is brownisn but in the light it almost looks gold. Gills are crowded and white, waiting on a spore print. Stem goes from white at the bottom to brown, no noticable bruising after I handled it. I would really really like to know what this is, here are some pics.

Any thoughts, comments welcome. Like I said Im waiting on the spore print, Ill let you know as soon as I can. This also wasnt all I found, Ive got more pictures of my other finds if anyone is interested Ill post em.

--------------------
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffin glue"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

Re: Backyard Hunt ID [Re: negrodamus]
    #8423896 - 05/20/08 11:44 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

sorry idk why that didnt work the first time.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8424055 - 05/20/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe Psathyrella.

Are the stems and caps pretty fragile and watery?

Were the white gills on a young specimen, or an older ones where the spores have had time to mature?

Knowing the spore print would help, also a macro shot of the underside of a cap would help.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Backyard Hunt ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8424069 - 05/20/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I would think Psathyrella, though the gills in the 1st and 3rd photo appear pale or white.

--------------------

Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

Re: Backyard Hunt ID [Re: CureCat]
    #8424218 - 05/20/08 01:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

See im really not sure of the maturity of the specimen I took. I have a cap under a jar and am waiting for a print, but I'm really not sure if I will get one, could be too young, but I will let you know.

As far as the the stem and cap being fragile/watery, I wouldnt say really fragile, but it was a bit crumbly when i took out the stem to get a spore print, but like I said its not terribly fragile. It is however pretty moist, if thats what you mean by watery.

I'll get back with the spore print and hopefully some better pictures later tonight after I get home from work.

Thanks for your comments.

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8426857 - 05/21/08 12:40 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Be sure to look closely for the spores if they appear white, and then brush your finger along where the cap was sitting, to see if any white spore deposits rub onto your finger.

--------------------

Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

Re: Backyard Hunt ID [Re: CureCat]
    #8428439 - 05/21/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ok here's so i tried getting a print from one of the caps i took and I didn't get a damn thing. I rubbed my finger along where the cap was sitting and there wasn't anything. I put it on a half black/half white piece of paper so I'd be able to see it if it was white, and I left it there under a jar in the dark for almost 24 hours, which is more than enough time. Here's a few pics of the cap I used.

(underside)

(top of cap)
I know they're a bit blurry but not much I can do about that.

So this morning I went back out to the same rotting stump and found this thing just chillin underneath. I'm printing it as we speak.

The stem is yellowish all the way up, cap is brown, not as shiny as the other ones I found. The gills are white but starting to turn pink in some spots.

So here's my question:
Is this the same thing as what I found before just in a more mature stage, or is this something different?

I'm confident that I will be able to get a good print from this thing since the gills are starting to turn pink.

Thanks for your time guys, take it easy.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8428440 - 05/21/08 11:42 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Its something different.

The second species is Pluteus cervinus

Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

#8432505 - 05/22/08 11:10 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Alright so I got a spore print from that bigger one, it was white, here's the pic.

I did some research online and in the field guide I own and I definetly would agree that this is a pluteus. I hear that some mushrooms in this family are active, like pluteus salicinus. The info I found wasn't very specific on where this things grow, just said widespread throughout the U.S. Anyone know anything more about this?

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8432600 - 05/22/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If it doesn't turn blue on the stem, it is not an active Pluteus.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8432644 - 05/22/08 12:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Pluteus cervinus should have a pink print, if it was white then you have something else that is not edible or active.

Offlinenegrodamus
Prophet
Male

#8432729 - 05/22/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

interesting.....yea i heard that the stem on a pluteus salicinus bruise blue when you handle em, this one definetly didn't. i guess the quest continues. thanks for the input guys.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale