Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepunkhardcore92
The navigator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness?
    #8416808 - 05/18/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Can psychedelics trigger psychosis in patients with family history of mental illnesses such as schizophrenia? I am understanding that the common understanding is yes it can, but i cant find any definitive research.

From my understanding they gave schizophrenic patients (and themselves) LSD at the satchatchawan research facility to find greater understanding of schizophrenia.

I see all kinds of stuff on message boards and even a little split from Erowid but im looking for a solid piece of research documentation to either prove or disprove this.

MAPS (multiple discipline association of psychedellic studies or something like that) has an article on using it to on childhood schizophrenics but im really trying to focus on the "People with a family history of psychosis" aspect.

--------------------
Guns, the only thing more dangerous is not having them.

Support the 2nd amendment or give up all your civil liberties.

Everything said by me is fiction.

Edited by punkhardcore92 (05/18/08 03:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: punkhardcore92]
    #8416876 - 05/18/08 03:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't need a study to tell you that yes, psychedelics can in fact trigger mental illness.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Offlinesublime40oz
Traveler
Loc: Florida
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: g00ru]
    #8416909 - 05/18/08 03:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I believe that psychedelics can trigger mental illness only on the level that other environmental stressors contribute to the development of whatever disease is in question.

--------------------
Beyond the gray sky

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: punkhardcore92]
    #8416993 - 05/18/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yes it can, sometimes. i have a history in the fam like tht but it never happened to me.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinespock1
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? *DELETED* [Re: Locus]
    #8417026 - 05/18/08 04:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by spock1

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: spock1]
    #8417076 - 05/18/08 04:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

in my case it would be my family itsself that triggers it

family history of mental illness does NOT necessarily= mental illness

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: sublime40oz]
    #8417099 - 05/18/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sublime40oz said:
I believe that psychedelics can trigger mental illness only on the level that other environmental stressors contribute to the development of whatever disease is in question.

i have to agree with this. im not aware of any actual studies, but with a little common sense and reasoning its easy to see how a psychedelic experience could pull the trigger. but thats not to say it wouldnt happen without the drug either.

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: g00ru]
    #8417439 - 05/18/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah it's not the drug that triggers it, its the experience.

Any drug that can make it sound like voices are talking to you (like shrooms) cannot be good if you are borderline schizo.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #8417458 - 05/18/08 06:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

eh im completly outta the loop on that one lol but i think E and salvia did it for me at least, even with my bad shroom trips the urngency of E always seemed to shit on me afterwards, and salvia was jus hilarious(i wouldnt smoke it bymyself now, too much 'thinking' involved)

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: Konyap]
    #8417487 - 05/18/08 06:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Psychedelics can cause mental illness just as much as they can cure it. Shamanic approaches can really act as a powerful medicine eliminating mental illness. However, tripping alone or in a negative environment with a lot of environmental stressors can trigger it. Honestly, IMHO learn to be strong minded an utilize psychedelics for their healing potential rather than recreational to procure success.

--------------------
When it rains, it spores :shroompick:

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: jazzillion]
    #8417499 - 05/18/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

to each is own i guess i passed up 420 tho in pursuit of my own but it looks as if the money is nothing and im ok with were i am now at least

there will be ups and downs

Offlinepunkhardcore92
The navigator
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: Konyap]
    #8423143 - 05/20/08 03:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well i was wondering if anyone had any research articles they can point me twards on credible websites. Using LSD to cure mental illness is an amazing concept that the psychedelic researchers seemed to have grasped in the 50s. I found this wich seems promising.

The McGill Experience of Robert A. Cleghorn, MD: Recollections of D. Ewen Cameron
Cleghorn, Robert (1990) The McGill Experience of Robert A. Cleghorn, MD: Recollections of D. Ewen Cameron. Canadian Bulletin of Medical History / Bulletin canadien d'histoire de la médecine, 7 (1). pp. 53-76. ISSN 08232105

Abstract
In the past decade, the career of Dr. D. Ewen Cameron (1901-67), particularly his work at McGill in the 1950's and 1960's has attracted much attention. At least three books have been published about Cameron's controversial practices, now thoroughly discredited, of using various so-called depatterning techniques, including LSD, in investigating schizophrenia and in attempting to treat patients who had that disorder. These techniques are described in detail in the following pages. With the permission and cooperation of Dr. Cleghorn, a substantial portion of his memoirs has been excerpted.

here is the PDF http://www.cbmh.ca/archive/00000192/01/cbmhbchm_v7n1cleghorn.pdf

--------------------

Edited by punkhardcore92 (05/20/08 03:33 AM)

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

#8423432 - 05/20/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i know for sure that it was used successfully by doctors to treat autism, depression, and cluster headaches

--------------------
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8423523 - 05/20/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

TV, popular culture, the propaganda machine we call the news, and the cell phones that seem to be taped to everyones head are a much bigger threat to mental health than psychedelics could ever be.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8425403 - 05/20/08 07:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
TV, popular culture, the propaganda machine we call the news, and the cell phones that seem to be taped to everyones head are a much bigger threat to mental health than psychedelics could ever be.

qft

--------------------
-----

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #8425413 - 05/20/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

are you 16?

--------------------

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #8425417 - 05/20/08 07:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i only ask because of the name

--------------------

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #8426227 - 05/20/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
i only ask because of the name

lol ya... the name does sound rather... adolescent (to say the least)

--------------------
-----

Offlinepunkhardcore92
The navigator
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedelics triggering psychosis in patients with family history of mental illness? [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8445492 - 05/26/08 12:28 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I still havent found any definitive research documentation,

this is similar

http://www.cbmh.ca/archive/00000192/01/cbmhbchm_v7n1cleghorn.pdf

--------------------

OfflineAnarchoTrip
Young Blood
Male User Gallery

#8445566 - 05/26/08 12:58 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Considering that most hallucinogenic drugs have been deamed illegal to use in any sort of study, unless the government gives permission, since the 1960s... I'd say yr going to have a difficult time unearthing any type of experiments that rank in level of authenticity or legitimacy of psychological experimental procedures that are taught in yr 201 Research Methods class of today.

However, I'd like to commemerate yr committment to, relatively, scientific research in the world of psychedelic drugs--without people with this level of determination to use 'hard' experimental understanding of different psychedelic drugs, I'm sure we'd hear even more people claiming that LSD makes yr brain bleed.

Also, for everyone that's so convinced that psychedelic drugs can cause mental illness in people with a family history of mental illnesses: how can you be sure? seem's probable--even logical--but then again, so did 75+% of the medical practices prior to the 1950s (yeah, I pulled that statistic outta' my ass, but you get the point).

ANYWAY, now that I've ranted; good luck with yr inquirey. Please post anything else that you find!

--------------------
YIPPIE!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale