Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......)
    #8400968 - 05/14/08 01:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

WASHINGTON - The Interior Department declared the polar bear a threatened species Wednesday, saying it must be protected because of the decline in Arctic sea ice from global warming.

Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne cited dramatic declines in sea ice over the last three decades and projections of continued losses. These declines, he told a news conference, mean the polar bear is a species likely to be in danger of extinction in the near future.

Kempthorne also said, though, that it would be "inappropriate" to use the protection of the bear to reduce greenhouse gases, or to broadly address climate change.

Reflecting views recently expressed by President Bush, Kempthorne said the Endangered Species Act was "never meant to regulate global climate change."

He said the decision to list the bear includes administrative actions aimed at limiting the impact of the decision on energy development and other climate related activities.

"This listing will not stop global climate change or prevent any sea ice from melting," said Kempthorne. He said he had consulted with the White House on the decision, but "at no time was there ever a suggestion that this was not my decision."

Kempthorne cited as support for his decision conclusions by the department's scientists that sea ice loss will likely result in two-thirds of the polar bears disappearing by mid-century.

Notwithstanding the secretary's disclaimers, this is the first time the Endangered Species Act has been used to protect a species threatened by the impacts of global warming. There has been concern within the business community that such an action could have far-reaching impact and could be used to regulate carbon dioxide.

Kempthorne proposed 15 months ago to investigate whether the polar bear should be declared threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

That triggered a year of studies into the threats facing the bear and its survival prospects at a time when scientists predict a continuing warming and loss of Arctic sea ice. The Arctic sea ice serves as a primary habitat for the bear and is critical to its survival, scientists say.

"The science is absolutely clear that polar bear needs protection under the Endangered Species Act," said Andrew Wetzler, director of the endangered species program at the Natural Resources Defense Council.

A decision had been expected early this year, but the Interior Department said it needed more time to work out many of the details, prompting criticism from members of Congress and environmentalists. Environmentalists filed a lawsuit aimed at forcing a decision and a federal court on April 29 set a May 15 deadline for a decision.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080514/ap_on_sc/polar_bear

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8401170 - 05/14/08 02:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the article, its a scary thought that an animal is not limited by deforestation or over hunting, but now can be edeangered by its own environment. glad some people are waking up.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8401305 - 05/14/08 03:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

This is fucking insane. Polar bear populations have been INCREASING since the Sixties.

Endangered? My ass. Polar bears have been around for hundreds of thousands of freaking years, folks -- during times when there was a lot less ice cover in the northern polar region than there is today.

This is enviro-whackiness run amok, with political pandering and craven caving to the granola-munching birkenstock-wearing Prius-driving tree-huggers.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblecottlestonpie
wanderer
I'm a teapot

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Phred]
    #8401322 - 05/14/08 03:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If they have been rising since the sixties, why have they been delared edangered? do you have literature citing these rising statistics?

Offlineblowback
Nothing to lose,nothing to gein.
 User Gallery

Loc: Houston Tx.
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: cottlestonpie]
    #8401373 - 05/14/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Oh no! The caps are melting the poor polar bears!

I smell horse shit. Are they suggesting polar bears couldn't just swim to the next fucking iceburg.

I hope people know polar bears can swim........

--------------------
"Daddy, what's the difference between ignorance and apathy?"

"Son, I don't know, and I don't care"

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: blowback]
    #8402193 - 05/14/08 07:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Someone think of the polar bears! We better stop burning things, and turn off our power stations right fucking now otherwise the world will be too warm.

I like how global warming propoganda heats up during the summer.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Phred]
    #8402210 - 05/14/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Polar bear populations have been INCREASING since the Sixties.

Link?

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Redstorm]
    #8402297 - 05/14/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

Polar bear populations have been INCREASING since the Sixties.

Link?

Who gives a shit, what ever happened to The Survival of the Fittest?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Redstorm]
    #8402648 - 05/14/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Look, guys, this is something I know about, okay? I guarantee you there is no one on this forum who knows more about polar bears than I do. I was born in the polar bear capital of the world -- Churchill, Manitoba. Yeah, that's right... the same Churchill Manitoba that's the subject of the famous National Geographic special (and probably a dozen others as well). http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographics-Polar-Bear-Alert/dp/6304475454

I spent the first two years of my life there, moved elsewhere for many years, then moved back for three more years -- while I attended sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. I've been close enough to dozens of  bears to literally touch them -- I would often open the back door to head to school only to find a polar bear rooting in the garbage can three feet from the door.  A kid I went to school with was severely mauled by one. Two people my parents knew were killed by bears.

They're fascinating animals and I read everything new I come across about them. I've probably seen pretty near every special made about them in the last forty years.

When I was in eighth grade, no one knew for sure how many there were in the whole world, but the best estimates back then were in the neighborhood of five thousand. There were a few hundred in Churchill.

The best estimates of today's population are 22,000 to 25,000. Again, no one knows for sure. Roughly two thirds of them are in Canada. You will note no Canadian wildlife researchers - not even that alarmist ninny David Suzuki - consider them "threatened".

Here are some links about the population increase

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/56861
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=20631
http://newsbusters.org/node/12694
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2006/05/15/nor-bears-managemnet.html
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba/ba610/
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05122008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/bear_baloney_110540.htm

And of course, as I said before, these bears made it through the Holocene warm period six to nine thousand years ago, when there was no permanent ice cap at the north pole at all.

I swear, politicians have lost their tiny little minds.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinecleverwise
Ðèmº®ålî§è®
Male

Loc: NC STATE
    #8403470 - 05/14/08 11:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i for one do not believe in global warming, . it is a theory with holes through out it, and there would have too be extensive research too even further these.

my argument 1

a volcanic eruption emits more toxic gases into the atmosphere than 100 years of pollution from our vehicles.

when mt st helens erupted in 80 the ashes from the eruption carried from washington too europe some claim even further

#
---------------------
this part is fact and i didnt write this part:

The massive ash cloud grew to 80,000 feet (18 kilometers) in 15 minutes and reached the east coast in 3 days. Although most of the ash fell within 300 miles of the mountain, finer ash circled the earth in 15 days and may continue to stay in the atmosphere for many years.
--------------------

argument 2
this is petty i know, but its also , factual

scientist have observed melting ice glaciers in the poles
and even too this day still do.
they come too believe that the earth in fact is rotating in a motion since the poles move , by coincidence , even the earth itself rotates a few scaled measure. i cannot say exactly how much but it wouldnt be alot .but over these century millenia ect im sure there were shifts or cat9istrophic events that devastated the world over.

put ice cubes in a glass with water, when the ice melts
the level of the water will stay the same.
no matter what.

anyway

--------------------
i know my limitations and you should know yours .!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: cleverwise]
    #8403493 - 05/14/08 11:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I have yet to see a reliable statistic relating human CO2 output to volcanic output.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #8403517 - 05/15/08 12:01 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Gore has a re-buttal Baby:biker:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8405141 - 05/15/08 12:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Look, guys, this is something I know about, okay?

phred, surely you're not trying to convince us that ice is
directly linked to the food supply of the bears, and that more
food would equal more bears. that would implicate the bans on
seal hunting, did nothing to bring back seal populations and
that the reduced arctic ice isnt allowing more seals to birth
more snacks for hungry bears especially since global warming is
a new trend, it wasnt happening 40 years ago, Al Gore told me so

surely researchers wouldnt mislead us in order to obtain more
federal grant money to tell us more lies about ever decreasing
populations of cute cuddly coca cola drinkers

http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=020808A

Quote:

Using an Internet search, we found roughly a thousand published papers that addressed the problem of forecasting polar bear numbers. None of them made reference to the scientific literature on forecasting. Most importantly, neither did the nine government reports prepared in support of the listing decision.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: cleverwise]
    #8405180 - 05/15/08 12:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

cleverwise said:
a volcanic eruption emits more toxic gases into the atmosphere than 100 years of pollution from our vehicles.

human sacrifice is the only way to stop volcanoes from erupting

Offlinecleverwise
Ðèmº®ålî§è®
Male

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8405565 - 05/15/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hahahaha ,

ill bring virgins and you get the coffee , itll be a long night

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #8405825 - 05/15/08 03:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I was so looking forward to bagging that polar bear coat. There is nothing a fine tuned bimbo looks better in than a wide open polar bear coat. I heard that you can outfit two (maybe three skinny) bimbos with just one bear.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

#8406809 - 05/15/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'd like to disqualify a few of the virgins if I may

Offlinecleverwise
Ðèmº®ålî§è®
Male

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #8407286 - 05/15/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I'd like to disqualify a few of the virgins if I may

well next time you shouldnt start ahead of the ceremony.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8408318 - 05/16/08 04:52 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

> surely researchers wouldnt mislead us in order to obtain more

Graphs don't lie, or something.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
 User Gallery

Re: US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) [Re: Seuss]
    #8410311 - 05/16/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

pie charts are the only truth

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order