Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejebdo
Stranger
Panaeolus subbalteatus? maybe P. foensecii?
    #8370770 - 05/06/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I found these in a park/lawn-like grassy area in southern California earlier today. According to an employee at the nearby school it is a relatively new lawn and was likely recently fertilized, and has a sprinkler system. It has been upper 80s lower 90s here for the past few weeks but this weekend it rained lightly for two days and this next week is supposed to be in the mid 60s.

They were all found in the same patch of grass, about the size of a soccer field, i dont remember exactly. There were many large clusters of them and many more scattered about in smaller groups or alone. They are about 5-15cm tall from the base, stem is less than 1cm wide in all specimens, usually around 1-3mm, but the larger ones got up to 5mm wide. Caps are around .5-3cm.

They have a darkened margin and a generally reddish-brown color, most with a darkened spot at the very top. They varied from a pale tan to a somewhat dark brown, presumably at different stages of drying. Stems are reddish-brown as well, paling at the top and flaring slightly at the base, hollow, not brittle or fragile, darkening when bruised, but not bluing. The gills in the younger specimens are a tan-brown, while the older ones are more brownish to black. They look mottled up close and have smaller mini gills that dont reach all the way to the stem in a pretty regular pattern, dont know the term for that.

Ill have some spore prints by tomorrow for further clarification. Otherwise, did I miss anything? Was I right about them being either Panaeolus subbalteatus or foensecii? If not, what could they be?

As soon as I figure out these pictures Ill get them posted.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejebdo
Stranger
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus? maybe P. foensecii? [Re: jebdo]
    #8370808 - 05/06/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry for the horrible quality, I hope they're at least somewhat helpful.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8370816 - 05/06/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

look like foes to me stipes look kinda skimpy just like foes but its hard to tell get a print quick...jet black its a subb, purple brown foes

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus? maybe P. foensecii? [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8370833 - 05/06/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Like Weiliiiiiiii said, they could be subbs, could be foes. Get a print.

--------------------

Offlinejebdo
Stranger
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus? maybe P. foensecii? [Re: landsnorkler]
    #8373780 - 05/07/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I took prints from around 20 caps and all but two were deep black, except a few that didn't drop any. Those two were brown, and are the two off to the right in the pic, which do seem a little tawnier and different than the rest, but that could just be me. So the majority of these would be subbs, and the handful that drop brown are foes? Subbs are active and foes are non-toxic, correct? So would there be any degree of certainty for safe consumption here? I haven't been hunting very long so I'm still pretty sketched out on eating random mushrooms i find growing in lawns...

One other thing I noticed was that at the base of some stems where i accidentally tore out a bit of mycelium, it was growing all up along the stem. Is this a viable way to start a colony? Could I just stick this in a tub of medium and watch it take over or would it get contaminated immediately?

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
    #8373854 - 05/07/08 04:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yep, the ones with black prints are subbs. The others are probably foes, but I can't be absolutely positive with those pictures. It looks like you probably have enough for a decent trip. Just to be safe only eat the ones with black spore prints. Panaeolina foensecii are non-toxic, but I can't tell for sure if that's what those others are.

--------------------

OfflineKrisMASSACRE
Decap

Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus? maybe P. foensecii? [Re: landsnorkler]
    #8374715 - 05/07/08 08:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, i would say the ones that came out black are subbs and the others are foes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags