Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regarding R
    #8369935 - 05/06/08 06:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

from NORML: http://blog.norml.org/2008/05/06/chairman-of-the-house-committee-on-the-judiciary-john-conyers-wants-answers-from-the-dea-regarding-raids-in-states-with-medi-pot-%e2%80%98patient-protection%e2%80%99-laws/

On April 29, 2008 House of Representative’s Committee on the Judiciary Chairman John Conyers (D-MI) sent a 17-page letter to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s Acting Administrator Michele Leonhart with pointed questions, a listing of over 60 medical marijuana dispensaries or patient cooperatives that have been raided by the DEA and federal law enforcement between June 2005 to November 2007 and numerous citations from local municipalities that are on the record of supporting patient access to cannabis and oppose federal intervention.

Excerpt from Conyer’s letter to Leonhart:

“Every month new science supporting the therapeutic value of cannabis is published. As a result, medical and scientific organizations, like the American College of Physicians and the American Psychiatric Association, are urging reform of laws that place in legal jeopardy physicians or their individual patients who may benefit from the use of cannabis. As the Administrator, you have the discretion to decide whether to continue heightened enforcement activities in California and in other states that have authorized the use of medical cannabis by qualified individuals. Please explain what role, if any, emerging scientific data plays in your decision-making process to conduct enforcement raids on individuals authorized to use or provide medical cannabis under state law.”

Read the entire letter and list of raided medical marijuana dispensaries and cooperatives here.

Let’s hope the DEA’s answers are as illuminating as the questions being asked by Chairman Conyers.

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #8370002 - 05/06/08 06:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

national medical marijuana is near

--------------------

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: Coaster]
    #8370063 - 05/06/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

he really called him out, eh?

reading this article put a huge grin on my face.

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Offlineclorox
Crossing theDoors ofPerception
Male

Loc: The Other Side
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: Coaster]
    #8370064 - 05/06/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

certainly drilled straight to the point.

Dear sirs: what about the science?

thats the type of politics i agree with.

--------------------

These walls, such they be, are crawling with geometric hallucinations.

OfflineLSDaytripper
Believer
Male

Loc: Ohio
    #8370069 - 05/06/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If only EVERYONE would send letters like this to the DEA.

--------------------
***** (10:42:46 PM): This is so strange
***** (10:42:53 PM): Becuase I feel that I am very altered
***** (10:42:57 PM): But at the same exact time
***** (10:43:28 PM): I am closer to the real me, the real me who decides who I am, the entire me

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: LSDaytripper]
    #8370139 - 05/06/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So does the Francis Young hearing not mean anything to these people?

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #8370143 - 05/06/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

boxcarguy07 said:
he really called him out, eh?

reading this article put a huge grin on my face.

my thoughts and expression were the same.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #8370234 - 05/06/08 07:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dear Mr. Convers:

We arent really sure either but we are sure that we are correct We thank you for the letter regarding your query. Please call 1-800-DEA to speak with a representivie pertaining to your previously topic.

Sincerly,
the DEA

ps: science is for, like, nerds... bro.

yes, reading that state governments are protecting its people from the federal government makes me jolly

Edited by moon_glue (05/06/08 07:05 PM)

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: moon_glue]
    #8371343 - 05/06/08 10:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Remember. the DEA members risk their lives everyday to protect us from ourselves.

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#8371455 - 05/06/08 11:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Please explain what role, if any, emerging scientific data plays in your decision-making process to conduct enforcement raids on individuals authorized to use or provide medical cannabis under state law.

Pure genius.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: clorox]
    #8371871 - 05/07/08 03:34 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

clorox said:
certainly drilled straight to the point.

Dear sirs: what about the science?

thats the type of politics i agree with.

you support selective prosecution based upon subjective opinions of the administration?

So Bush gets to decide which of the lawbreakers go to jail, and which get nothing? Seems like a breading ground for corruption and an improper role of the feds.

I certainly wouldn't like it if I owned a marijuana dispensary and of the ten other shops in town, Bush decides I'll be raided every week. You'd have no recourse whatsoever.

Its stupid. If you want to insert a medical necessity defense into the federal statutes fine, but encouraging selective prosecution based upon the popular perception of science is stupid.

These people aren't being raided cuz they are using marijuana for medical purposes, their being raided because they are selling marijuana.

I guess by that logic if I start selling cocaine "for medical use" in violation of the federal law I shouldn't be prosecuted while others are if I can find science that says cocaine is helpful for certain indications?

We need to go back to a rational application of the commerce clause, pre new deal or this shit will never stop and we'll always be at the whims of the president and the national majority.

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regarding R [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #8634737 - 07/14/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

This is a bump. 

I reread the letter John Conyers sent to acting dea administrator Michele Leonhart today.  In it Mr. Conyers asks for a response by July 1, 2008.  I searched the internet but i couldn't find anything regarding a response from Leonhart.  Has anyone heard anything new about this?  Every day that passes I get more and more frustrated with this whole fucked up country.  If you haven't read the letter you probably should.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #8634781 - 07/14/08 07:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Remember. the DEA members risk their lives everyday to protect us from ourselves.

Heh, indeedy... if marijuana was legalized one day all hell would break loose!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: andrewss]
    #8634912 - 07/14/08 07:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I just found this.  It's dated July 1, 2008.  Doesn't give a response, just that a response "is imminent."

http://www.edhtelegraph.com/detail/87804.html

DEA to answer queries on med-pot raids locally, statewide
By Roger Phelps The Telegraph

A federal lawmaker concerned with medical-marijuana raids in El Dorado, Sacramento and Placer counties has forced Drug Enforcement Administration officials to answer questions in writing.

The written response could serve to prevent live Congressional hearings on the propriety of the raids. U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, has fielded numerous complaints and requests for hearings on the matter, according to Conyers' April 29 letter to the DEA.

DEA spokesman Randy Payne said acting Director Michele Leonhart will answer Conyers' questions, which generally ask for a cost-benefit analysis on the California raids.

"We will respond to the congressman's request -- it is imminent," Payne said.

Payne said he could not provide details until Conyers has the response.

Federal drug convictions have come against a total of five area residents, and many more statewide, who claimed protection under the California Compassionate Use Act. The 1996 voter initiative legalized growing marijuana for use by medical patients. Around the state, a total of around 60 additional raids are also of concern, according to Conyers' letter. Conyers requested a DEA response by July 1, and will get it, Payne said.

"I am writing to you because I have received a number of letters from Californians, including mayors and city councils, expressing concerns about DEA enforcement tactics, and urging me to hold oversight hearings in the Judiciary Committee," Conyers wrote to Leonhart. "Please provide an accounting of the costs, in dollars and resources, used to conduct law-enforcement raids on the attached list of individuals."

He also questioned allocation of DEA resources away from combating the domestic effects of international drug cartels.

DEA officials have maintained the federal Controlled Substances Act "trumps" California's voter-passed legalization of medical marijuana. Controversy has existed since Prop. 215 passed in 1996. A joint California Assembly and Senate Resolution of Jan. 10 reads in part, "The Legislature respectfully memorializes the President of the United States and the Congress to enact legislation to require the Drug Enforcement Agency and all other federal agencies ad departments to respect the compassionate-use laws of states."

Payne said DEA's general response to such requests is that it is DEA's "job to enforce laws -- we don't apologize for it."

Elaine Roller, a volunteer at Medical Marijuana Caregivers of El Dorado County, said she was pleased the DEA will respond to Conyers.

"What he wants is answers -- 'Can you justify this money? For raids? For court time?'" Roller said. "This congressman has stood up and spoken the truth."

Conyers' vocal opposition to several policies of the George W. Bush administration is well publicized. Conyers May 30 said he supported a nationwide movement for Bush's impeachment.

If Conyers elects to call hearings of the House Judiciary Committee on the raids, DEA officials could be required to testify.

The DEA's response might or might not work to prevent House committee hearings, said Jonathan Godfrey, Judiciary Committee spokesman.

"I'm not sure we'll know until we see the response," Godfrey said.

The Telegraph’s Roger Phelps can be reached at rogerp@goldcountrymedia.com, or post a comment at folsomtelegraph.com

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Male User Gallery

Re: Chairman Of The House Committee On the Judiciary John Conyers Wants Answers From The DEA Regardi [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #8634916 - 07/14/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

HA!  The DEA doesn't follow some lowly congressman's deadlines.  They set their own.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck