Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline1onemind1
Stranger
What is inside a pf cake?
    #8349022 - 05/01/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hello,

Just curious as to whether the mycelium grows thoughout the entire cake or is it just on the surface of the cake?

I noticed after picking my shrooms that they had roots. I am assumeing the mycelium grows on the outside and when the shrooms grow they send roots into the cakes for nourishment?

Has anyone ever cut one of their cakes in half?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedread
Power Ranger

Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: 1onemind1]
    #8349031 - 05/01/08 10:24 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Wow. Do a search.

Offline1onemind1
Stranger
Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: dread]
    #8349037 - 05/01/08 10:26 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

wow, cant believe you took the time to bother writing that..

useless

OfflinePeterGriffin467
Dirt Grub
Male

Loc: six feet under
    #8349042 - 05/01/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I cant believe you bothered asking that before looking on the site, no they dont have roots and of course the mycelium grows through the whole cake.

--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

OfflineRackOfLamb
Stranger

#8349044 - 05/01/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It's like the amount of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-pop... the world may never know... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Offline1onemind1
Stranger
Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: RackOfLamb]
    #8349051 - 05/01/08 10:33 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I mean honestly, what would the search terms be? I tried "inside of pf cake" anf the results were ghey.

Half the questions on this forum have been asked numerous times and they never meet the same bs do a search shit answer.

blow me

Offlineunretarded
Tick and poisionoak collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
    #8349115 - 05/01/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
    #8349122 - 05/01/08 11:04 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

1onemind1 said:
I mean honestly, what would the search terms be? I tried "inside of pf cake" anf the results were ghey.

Half the questions on this forum have been asked numerous times and they never meet the same bs do a search shit answer.

blow me

Wow, with talk like this I would be suprised if anyone helps you out anymore.
There arte alot of posts where the answers are simply, Do a search.
Luckily for you ,you didnt get an answer like, "USE THE FUCKING SEARCH BUTTON".
I have seen that answer many times in these forums.
Chill out a lil bit dude.
And use the search button.
Peace.

Offlineweakace
Rook
Male

Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: unretarded]
    #8349130 - 05/01/08 11:05 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I had this same question, on my first batch of jars. You know what I did?

Crumbled a cake.

also if you are already picking fruit, it should be obvious.

--------------------
The bottom line is if we can't trust what they tell us, we have to figure it out for ourselves.

The blatant dishonesty of it all is what really turns my stomach.

Edited by weakace (05/01/08 11:07 AM)

Offlineunretarded
Tick and poisionoak collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: weakace]
    #8349142 - 05/01/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

weakace said:
I had this same question, on my first batch of jars. You know what I did?

Crumbled a cake.

:thumbup:

--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

Offline1onemind1
Stranger
Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: unretarded]
    #8349162 - 05/01/08 11:16 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Why would i crumble a perfectly good cake after only one flush when i can get 2 or 3 more flushes out of it?

I am not that curious.

It was a simple question and telling me to use the search engine and then rant on about bs took longer than it would to simply answer the question.

Quote:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/dosearch.php?terms=cut+cake+in+2+pieces

I took a look at the threads from your results and none of them mentioned if mycelium grows throughout the cake explicitly.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8349194 - 05/01/08 11:24 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I took a look at the threads from your results and none of them mentioned if mycelium grows throughout the cake explicitly

True. The term 'fully colonized' is usually used. Mushrooms do not have roots. They grow from, and are part of, the mycelium network.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineweakace
Rook
Male

#8349222 - 05/01/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't even wait to fruit them before I crumbled one. Losing one cake was not that much of a concern. I wanted to make sure that the cakes were fully colonized, and that I even knew what fully colonized ment.

As a first timer it was pretty cool seeing and learning about all the different stages of development. Later I learned that I could have cased that cake and not wasted it. Which is what my next project will be.

Always search before you post. Your questions seem very strange of someone who has actually picked fruit&used the search feature. Had you said "My cakes are colonizing and I am curious....?"it would have made more sense. And there are lots of posts about slicing and casing the cakes.

--------------------
The bottom line is if we can't trust what they tell us, we have to figure it out for ourselves.

Offline1onemind1
Stranger
    #8351214 - 05/01/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I didn't even wait to fruit them before I crumbled one. Losing one cake was not that much of a concern. I wanted to make sure that the cakes were fully colonized, and that I even knew what fully colonized ment.

What a waste.

Quote:

As a first timer it was pretty cool seeing and learning about all the different stages of development. Later I learned that I could have cased that cake and not wasted it.

I guess some people are needlessly wasteful when you could have simply asked experienced people who have no doubt cut a cake to get rid of contams and would know the answer. But i guess that wouldnt help much because they would tell you to do a search for the nearly impossible then link irrelevent search results with dancing smilies like a friggin idiot.

Quote:

Always search before you post

I do, but this was one of those cases with tricky search terms and it was like finding a needle in a hay stack. A simple yes no answer would have been sufficient without all this petty bullshit.

Quote:

And there are lots of posts about slicing and casing the cakes.

I agree, but very few of them mention if the mycelium run throughout the cake. It is usually about slicing contams off or slicing them for casing or slicing them for some other reason making those thread completely useless to my question.

Thanks for zero help and wasting my fucking time.

And thanks RR, helpful as always.

Edited by 1onemind1 (05/01/08 08:36 PM)

Offlinetpihkal
Male

Loc: Michigan Flag
    #8351328 - 05/01/08 08:30 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with you onemind, I think the answer to your question was obvious but only because I've been doing this for a while, but you're completely correct that as a beginner there's no info out there as to what 100% colonized really means.

I would normally be one of the assholes to say do a search, but I think your point here is well defended, and maybe the rest of us should not always be dicks, as I've asked questions that don't always get responses that are more complicated than this, but don't get answers.

What does it matter when someone could simply tell you that yes, cakes colonize 100% throughout the entire cake, which is the reason that we let them colonize a week after 100% visible colonization just to be sure.

--------------------

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
    #8351339 - 05/01/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Kwitcherbitchin... seriously guys, there is no problem here.

Though, I believe this might have been mentioned above, it does take a little while to get the hang of this search engine and the best wording for finding a specific item.

Onemind, for these sorts of questions you might find it more useful to consult the assorted sections of the 'Cultivation FAQ'. They tend to be a little more streamlined than the search engine for these sorts of things, glossary related inquiries and such. A strait read through the FAQ sections will offer a good exposure to all common terminology you may need to ask about.

~Monk

Offlinedrwatson
Slacker
 User Gallery

Loc: nowhere land
    #8351345 - 05/01/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, the boards can be helpful but honestly the search feature can be lacking if you can't nail the right keywords.

I think everything under the "Mushroom Info" tab and "Grow Mushrooms" is all you need. Just read everything that pops up under that. even if it's not something you're planning to do to begin, because it really just drives in the process of what is happening from the bottom up.

That was more helpful for me than anything I've read in the forums. . . except for Teks perhaps.

. . . everyone started somewhere so there's really no need for people to flame noobs it just turns people off to the site and the community in general.

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern Tundra
Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: drwatson]
    #8351665 - 05/01/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I agree that you have a legitimate question, but next time if you cant find soemhting you want to know in a search tne start off by mentioning you did a search and couldnt find what you were looking for .... Im sure you would have gotten better responses, and theres no need to be a dick, it is just a misunderstanding that started because your didnt clarify that you did search .... no harm done, just know for next time

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Offlineweakace
Rook
Male

Re: What is inside a pf cake? [Re: Mindz Eye]
    #8351958 - 05/01/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If I came off as condescending I apologize.

The point I was trying to make, in regards to crumbling my first cake was that if you plan on advancing in this hobby the boards are only going to take you so far. Your going to have to do a little hands on experimenting in order to develop a feel for what you are really doing here.

I am very new here, and to this hobby, and I feel like a dick for the tone of my earlier post. Good luck with everything. I am sure I have had, and will continue to have many questions that seem stupid to people with more experience.

--------------------

Offline1onemind1
Stranger
    #8352009 - 05/01/08 11:28 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

but next time if you cant find soemhting you want to know in a search tne start off by mentioning you did a search

Bullshit. Heaps of people ask questions without saying they did a search. It is ludicrous to qualify every question with this search nonsense, hardly anyone does. How am i to know which one of my questions will result in some prick telling me to search, none of my other questions have recived this pathetic crap.

Quote:

and theres no need to be a dick

Fuck you, i'll be a dick all i want :P

Quote:

, it is just a misunderstanding that started because your didnt clarify that you did search

I asked a question about blue cakes just after this one and not one person mentioned anything about searching and searching for blue cakes would have been easier than this question.

Quote:

no harm done, just know for next time

Fuck that, next time i ask a question i wont be saying jack shit about searching.

lol

Quote:

The point I was trying to make, in regards to crumbling my first cake was that if you plan on advancing in this hobby the boards are only going to take you so far.

I am not training to be a fucking mycologist and if i want to advance i wont even use cakes. I will use horse shit and ask horse shit questions.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags