Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Growing cubes outdoor in KY
    #8319998 - 04/23/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I am really uncertain of which cubes to grow outdoors in western KY. Should I go with something other than cubes. I don't know whats best. What would you do?

EG

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChurning
Chain Reaction
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: ethnoguy]
    #8320205 - 04/23/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I would just go with some cubes, maybe one of the strains that are easiset to grow or most hardy to climate change since you are attempting to grow them outside of the area where they normally grow.

Good luck!

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8320227 - 04/23/08 06:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You will need to know what to look for...When you make an outdoor bed, other mushrooms will grow there to..All it takes is one and you die.....

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Brainiac]
    #8320381 - 04/23/08 07:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Cubensis grows great in KY. They seem to love the constant high humidity (I don't). The next few weeks are a great time to get started, as long as we don't have another horrible late cold spell like last year.:mad2:
I just got a couple of Azure and Ps. Cyan patches started as well. It'll be my first time with them. We'll see what happens.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Premedman1]
    #8320444 - 04/23/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I wish there were more step by step outdoor teks most of the ones I seem are kind of lacking,being unable to grow where I'm staying at the moment makes outdoor growing sound like good fun

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Blutjager]
    #8320885 - 04/23/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Theres a good one in Mycelium running..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Premedman1]
    #8321212 - 04/23/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Premedman1 said:
Cubensis grows great in KY. They seem to love the constant high humidity (I don't). The next few weeks are a great time to get started, as long as we don't have another horrible late cold spell like last year.:mad2:
I just got a couple of Azure and Ps. Cyan patches started as well. It'll be my first time with them. We'll see what happens.

Well hell neighbor come on down lol. Yeah that freeze sucked bad. I think I am going to get a couple of those new bags from sporeworks and see what happens. I am thinking Golden teachers this time around.

Thanks!

EG

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8321331 - 04/23/08 10:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It actually doesn't matter what strain you take since all of them require the same environmentally circumstances.

As far as I know, Kentucky is a rather warm state, so growing cubes down there shouldn't be the problem.

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Fahkface]
    #8321366 - 04/23/08 10:35 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
It actually doesn't matter what strain you take since all of them require the same environmentally circumstances.

As far as I know, Kentucky is a rather warm state, so growing cubes down there shouldn't be the problem.

Thats what I thought, but I read a tek that said to chose an appropriate cube for you environment. I agree w/ Blutjager. We need better, more detailed outdoor teks for all different types of shrooms, including some kind of zone chart.

EG

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8321444 - 04/23/08 10:55 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well, we do know in what areas certain genera and species grow.
It shouldn't be too hard, to gather the information of how the climate conditions are.

I guess the big problem about outdoor cultivating isn't to do it, but to just try it.

I've seen plenty of people, asking if it's possible to grow certain kinds of mushrooms in different areas, while it's very easy to find out by searching.

Either using the "What species grows wild in my area?", or specific outdoor cultivations in specific states.

All you need is one jar of substrate to find out.

In general you can say, that cultivating cubes possible almost every where. As long as it gets warm enough in Summer and you can provide enough moisture there's no problem with cultivating them outdoors. It was done in Washington, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania etc.

Wood lovers can be grown in many states, though it shouldn't be too warm in fall, since cooling down an outside bed is more or less impossible, other than just misting, which would be required when growing cubes outdoors in summer.

Do it as Premedman1 and simply try it. You have nothing to lose but only to learn :wink:

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #8321445 - 04/23/08 10:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Cubes will grow outdoor and fruit outdoor in all 50 states. And any strain will work, a cube is a cube. The reason they don't grow that wild in KY (there are some sparse patches) is that during the winter it gets too cold and kills the myc colony and they won't come back up next year. Cubes can withstand just about any weather condition except bitter cold, as in 4-5 consecutive days of sub-freezing weather.

If you have a mild winter it is possible they will come back up next year as well. Wood lovers can withstand colder weather since they can survive inside the chips/logs they are grown in.

There really aren't any detailed teks but it is pretty much like any bulk substrate. You WILL need to colonize some grain (or cakes but grain is better) to use as spawn. You can't inoculate a bulk sub outside, won't do well. Once it is colonized and ready to spawn just dig a 3-4 inch deep hole (or make an elevated box) in a shady area that gets decent drainage or good fog coverage and fill it with a bulk sub. Straw and/or poo work well. You don't have to worry about sterilizing it or pasteurizing it though, mother nature will hold off contams.

Spawn to it, cover with normal ground junk or soil and you are all set. Wait until you see myc popping up out of the ground and you should have some after the next rainy/foggy day.

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing cubes outdoor in KY [Re: Smushroom]
    #8321547 - 04/23/08 11:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So here is how I am going to start off:http://sporeworks.com/store/catalog/Five-Pound-Manure-Based-Signature-Substrate-Bag-Kits-by-Cultivat-p-16359.html

What do you think? Any better options? Millet perhaps?

EG

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #8323447 - 04/24/08 03:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That is a really good product but it is made to combined grain and manure in the same bag to avoid having to spawn grain to the poo. Basically the main purpose for it is to grow right out of the bag. You could spawn with it but poo isn't used as spawn too often.

If you are wanting to spawn outside go with either Rye or Millet bags. I use WBS (mostly millet) myself but Rye is one of the most used grains. Either will work equally well.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate