Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
myc not colonizing my casing layer?
    #8317827 - 04/23/08 06:55 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i have a gladware container with 1.5 pints of substrate (about 3.5" tall) and about 3/4" of casing material on top. The casing is a dead on 7.5-8 pH with 50/50 peat/verm and limestone powder buffer. it's been in 77F incubation for about 5 days, and i'm not seeing it colonize the casing layer at all. I left the sides of the container exposed for now so I can see what's happening, and I the substrate itself has rebuilt from the transfer very well. I have cling wrap loosely over the top and a nearby fan is giving it some FAE, and I mist it once a day or every 2 days.

Should I just put it into FC now, even without any surface myc? Would there be a better option?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: jonogt]
    #8317840 - 04/23/08 07:13 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

pics or it didn't happen.

jk. casing layer might be a bit too thick for that sub depth. did you bring your casing layer up to near saturation?

cover the sides of your container and put in your FC since you have pinning triggers already with the fan and clear sides.

after you case and cover for the myc to fortify itself you don't need FAE as you are basically incubating again. FAE and the light coming through your clear sides will initiate pinning which is likely why you have not seen any growth.

--------------------
Compulsive liar and fiction writer. Please treat all posts as hearsay and do not construe posts as truthful or construe the poster as having any firsthand knowledge of actual persons, events, or actions.

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #8317846 - 04/23/08 07:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Casings run like bulk they require very little FAE.

Also, when you open the top to mist you're dropping the Co2 levels drastically which is why your casing layer is suffering, you want minimal air exchange.

Stretch out a piece of your cling wrap over the tub in question and tape it in place then poke some holes up and down it, cover those holes with micro-pore tape. Stick it somewhere dark and wait.

P.S do not mist a casing layer while it's being run.

--------------------

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: HybridprX]
    #8317859 - 04/23/08 07:32 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

meh. holes are not necessary. use aluminum foil. it will provide enough gas exchange as it will not create a tight seal and it will prevent any light from reaching whatever it is you cased. this goes back to the clear container... you want to prevent light and fresh air from reaching your casing until you are ready to fruit.
your casing should be misted indirectly until it glistens after it is applied then covered until myc starts to show. from there you can patch and introduce to your FC.

--------------------
Compulsive liar and fiction writer. Please treat all posts as hearsay and do not construe posts as truthful or construe the poster as having any firsthand knowledge of actual persons, events, or actions.

Offlineweretheshit
FeelingRhizomorp<wbr><wbr>hic?
 User Gallery

Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: nerotheavenger]
    #8317926 - 04/23/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

all those replies are changes you need to make..

Limestone isn't usually the best thing to use, many noobs get dolomitic limestone and/or mess up the ratios.

what kind of limestone did you use and in what ratio?

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: weretheshit]
    #8318202 - 04/23/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

1) no significant light is getting to my substrate as a result of clear sides. My IC is a black heavy plastic tub with a lid, and its in my closet. So I can say almost for certain that that's not a part of my problem.

2) I went ahead and reduced my casing layer to about a half inch.

3) I did not get the domolitic... it was right next to the product I bought, which was something like "All Natural Sweet-Lime limestone powder". By volume, I used 5 parts peat, 5 parts verm, 1 part limestone powder, and tiny sprinkles of hydrated lime to get my immediate pH balance (7.5-8.0 estimated with litmus).

Before using the cling wrap, I had cut a penny-sized hole in the gladware lid and siliconed a piece of tyvek over it. On the 4th day, I removed the lid for the first time since applying the casing, and there was single little white puff on the surface. I've read that some contams can look like myc, but they grow from the top, instead of roping up through from the substrate. I lightly poked at this puff with a toothpick, and it moved with no resistance at all. I didn't find anymore white underneath it, so I kinda assumed it had grown from the top. I thought it was contamination at the time, and that my casing needed more FAE so my substrate would get moving on my casing. However, with what you guys have just told me (I don't know how I did this wrong after reading atleast 5 casing teks), it sounds like it was very likely myc, and my move to a less-air-tight cling wrap did more harm than good.

a) do you guys think the puff was myc? It was bright white and perfectly fluffy... not at all pale like cobweb IMO.

b) sorta tied to a: When the myc "ropes up" through the casing layer, is it an obvious growth, or very hard to see? Is the roping just tiny strands of myc that get to the surface and make the visible dots? Is it normal that I couldn't find anymore white under my puff?

c) I again replaced the cling wrap with the tyvek-hole lid. I covered part of the tyvek with some scotch tape, so there should be just a slight dribble of FAE going through.

d) Does "running a casing" simply mean waiting for dots of myc to show up on the surface?

e) When I reduced my casing layer to 1/2" I stored the material I took off in another plastic container with a very dilute mist of h2o2 solution. Is is acceptable to patch with this, or do I not want to use it if it's been moved around and touched and shit?

thanks a lot for the help
-Jon

Offlineskattman1982
Stranger
Male

#8318243 - 04/23/08 10:51 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i'll answer a coupld of these q's.

e) toss it and prepare fresh casing material for patch
b) rhizomorphs will be very noticable but not all growth is going to be rhizomorphic
a)without a pic or firsthand viewing one could not tell you if it was CW or myc.

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.-Bill Hicks-

by the way, everything i write is for entertainment purposes and is purely fictional. do not construe these written words with the author having any knowledge of actual persons, places, events, or actions.

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: skattman1982]
    #8318281 - 04/23/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thanks skattman.

unfortunately I can't take a photo of it... I removed it (and have no clue where it is now) from the casing layer after poking at it. I think my main question is whether its normal that there wasn't any visible myc under the growth on the surface. Is it just so small that you wouldn't notice it upon some minor digging?

What exactly is rhizomorphic growth?

Offlineskattman1982
Stranger
Male

#8318428 - 04/23/08 11:45 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

from looking over this post i'll say that you aren't showing signs of myc in your casing layer because the mycelium is eating your substrate and preparing to pin (IMHO/IME). you have given your substrate the pinning triggers it desires by exposing it to light (even minimal ambient light), providing it with FAE, and by the humidity present in your casing layer. think of it as building up a bunch of energy so it doesn't get too tired during fruiting.

i would uncover it and put it in your FC.

rhizos below. edit: consider them like the roots of a plant.

Edited by skattman1982 (04/23/08 11:50 AM)

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: skattman1982]
    #8318481 - 04/23/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

well right now I have it back in the IC. Does it just not need to stay in there till I myc on the casing layer? I could cover the sides and put it back in... no good? If I light-seal the sides and put it in there, will it just form myc on the surface and transition straight into pinning?

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cold places
    #8318494 - 04/23/08 12:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Pressure cook everything. Just dump it in and hope for the best.

Ok, so I was totally kidding - I am sorry .. I felt the compulsion to post that crap.

Honestly? I think that aside from "Search", "Be Patient!" is the best advice that is posted the most often on here.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: myc not colonizing my casing layer? [Re: amanitavirosa]
    #8318970 - 04/23/08 02:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm learning to be more patient, but if I'm going to be doing so, I want to make sure I'm atleast doing things correctly.

I just wrapped gladware container in aluminum foil and securely taped it, so with the casing layer, no light at all is reaching the myc. I've limited FAE to a trickle. My casing is a pretty even ~1/2" thick and it has a bit of a rough sheen when held up to the light (edge of saturation). I have it in 76F in my IC.

Either way I probably won't do patching on this one, cause it's such a small surface area that I think it'll pinset even enough and not be affected to much either way by patching (unless 1 corner is like all white and the rest shows nothing... then I will).

So the question of the hour:
Should I just stick it in FC now, with no myc on the surface, or do I need to wait until there are some bits coming through?

I've read posts where people favor both sides... what to do??

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale