Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

fuzzy white blob growth on top of LC, what to do?
    #8315848 - 04/22/08 07:19 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I just took a look at my liquid culture growth today and found some sort of contaminant growing on the top of the water. It is almost iceberg like with a lot of growth under the water level along with growth above. In one of the three jars contaminated with this I noticed spots of it growing on the side walls of the jar. What can be done about this growth? Are my once beautiful cultures now ruined?

how the myc looks underneath:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

Re: fuzzy white blob growth on top of LC, what to do? [Re: SFsorrow]
    #8324449 - 04/24/08 07:53 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Really, no one has any idea what this is or what I can do to salvage my culture (if that is a possibility)? I'm new to this and I'd really appreciate some help.
Thanks
S.F. Sorrow

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #8326276 - 04/25/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

sorry man.... i think thats a yeast infection.... might have rr look at it..... i saw something like that last week on some mea agar....

Offlinedrjugglz
Evil ScientistExtraordanaire!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: fuzzy white blob growth on top of LC, what to do? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #8327298 - 04/25/08 03:00 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

what kind of LC is it? suck up a few LCs and grow them out on agar plates and see what happens. thats the best thing i could recommend.

--------------------
“To use your head you have to go out of your mind.”
~ Timothy Leary

InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

Re: fuzzy white blob growth on top of LC, what to do? [Re: drjugglz]
    #8327830 - 04/25/08 05:32 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I modified MonterMitch's LC tek (I just did not any any turbinado sugar) and made up 6 jars. All 3 of the jars with the nice injection port and air filter (ie, monster mitch's lids)are infected, the three lids that I made up without any sort of air transfer and a self healing injection port made from RCV gasket sealer are fine (I only knocked one up and realized that I screwed the lids on too tight before PCing them as an entire syringe worth of spores were sucked into it).
I'm still very wet behind the ears. I do not have a glove box or agar plates although I wish I did now. I'm making up some WBS as I type and I'll have an extra jar (I hope), I'll use that as an experiment for the contaminated South American jars and continue my grow with my good jar (after I equalize the pressure)of huautla.

Here are more photos of my LC before this growth happened.
Thanks.

Offlinedrjugglz
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8333491 - 04/27/08 08:36 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

silly question... but how long did you PC the jars that you made via MonsterMitchs Tek? Did you PC all of them the same time?

Personally I never PC my LC. I use Honey LC and it works fantastic for me. And all I do is boil my LC and then once that is done and ready to be used I boil my syringes that I use for my LC an hour or so before hand then once done put them in a ziplock baggy reeady for the LC transfer. Once you get your sterile procedures down, if youre just doing small scale things a glove-box or flowhood arent all that necessary given your area that youre working in is somewhat clean/sterile.

I would even do a dry run to see and double check your sterile procedures. It took me quite a few experiments to finally find the way that works for me. Which is basically go into terminator mode with the Lysol and bleach mixture and spray almost everything down in my basement room and let it sit for a good half hour before work then go crazy with lysol right before I start. I assume this gives me a good 5-10 minute window if need be to get things done. It usually only takes me a minute or 2 to get things done. That is inoculation and LC transfers etc...

I guess I could post my Honey LC Tek if you wanted or PM Me for instructions and photos. If had tremendous success with it and its so easy its stupid easy... You could even search Honey LC Tek on the forums and find quite a few different teks. I prefer the baby bottles for mine and invert the nipples so the nipple goes down into the bottle then it works as a seal healing port for the syring also... Ive had awesome success with this so far and Ive been using it for a little over a year and have had no contams.. granted I take my sterile procedures pretty seriously...

Well hope this helps you some...

Good Luck

Peace :mushroom2:

--------------------
~ Timothy Leary

InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

#8333642 - 04/27/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

What gets me is that the three jars lasted over 15 days without any contamination. If it is a yeast infection (yuck) it makes some sense. I was keeping the jars under my sink where I also keep a lot of my home brewing supplies and glass bottles. I will have some jars of WBS ready shortly to see what shall happen.
I pressure cooked the LC for 25 minuets at 15psi.

I am confident in my sterilization technique. I cleaned my working area through the whole gauntlet of household cleaning supplies. I lysoled all surfaces in my kitchen, were they were knocked up, sprayed oust all over the place and cleaned all surfaces. I wore clean cloths, a hair net, rubber gloves cleaned with alcohol. I rubbed down my forearms with alcohol and put on a filtering 3M face mask.
I flame sterilized the needles and then dunked them in a shot-glass of 70% alcohol, rubbed the needle down with an alcohol soaked paper towel to get the soot off, dunked the needle in the alcohol again. I then quickly removed the needle and inserted it through self-healing ports on the lid while the needle was still dripping wet.

Offlinedrjugglz
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8334556 - 04/27/08 03:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

well i would recommend incubate and storing the LC in sterile environment. I keep mine in the same tub as all my grains that are incubating and Ive never had any contamination issues like that. I would store them in a seperate container if possible.

--------------------
~ Timothy Leary

InvisibleSFsorrow
Is Born
Male User Gallery

#8362774 - 05/04/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I refrigerated two of the infected jars and it looks like the growth of the infectious blobs has slowed to nearly a stop. I kept one jar at room temperature while I prepared some jars of WBS. I carefully filled a syringe with the floating myc and knocked up half a quart jar full of WBS a few days ago. So far there have been no contaminants and the South American growth is out pacing that of the jars which were inoculated with Huautla.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck