Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebig_al_one
Stranger
Male

Loc: My back yard
Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer
    #8313484 - 04/22/08 07:22 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

The only room i have is a closet without a door. The only time this room would be completely dark is at night. The rest of the time would be dim from indirect sunlight coming through shear curtains. Would this be OK?
If so would i need to supplement with a brighter light?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: big_al_one]
    #8313486 - 04/22/08 07:25 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

if you need it to be darker in there just hang up a sheet.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cold places
Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: TheBandit]
    #8313493 - 04/22/08 07:30 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Nah - complete darkness is not necessary, however, it does help since light exposure is one of a few pinning triggers.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlineweretheshit
FeelingRhizomorp<wbr><wbr>hic?
 User Gallery

Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: TheBandit]
    #8313495 - 04/22/08 07:31 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

A sheet is porous and could hold other bacteria's spores. The best thing would be to find a black tub to incubate in. It will help greatly to have 100% darkness in this part of the process.

Offlinebig_al_one
Stranger
Male

Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: amanitavirosa]
    #8313502 - 04/22/08 07:37 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

amanitavirosa said:
Nah - complete darkness is not necessary, however, it does help since light exposure is one of a few pinning triggers.

It would be completely dark for 9 to 10 hours. and then indirect light from window with thin curtain.

--------------------

Offlinemedicine man
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8313512 - 04/22/08 07:43 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Inoculate, birth and then fruit. I've read plenty that says all you need is ambient light and the 12 on 12 off is not necessary but most people do it that way. Posts say you can colonize without total darkness some people say they have much more than 12hrs light. So if your birthing that means your already colonized and you want light, FAE and RH so you should be fine if you get enough ambient light in there. If not add some. But if worried about too much light I don't think it's a problem cause at night it's going to be dark. Again some posts say you only need a few hrs, some say 12 and some say more. If you have too much cover with a black plastic garbage bag or sheet. One problem with light (sun or high engery bulb is it will create heat and also could dry out you substrate)

OfflineTheBandit
Infidel
Male

Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: weretheshit]
    #8313520 - 04/22/08 07:48 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

weretheshit said:
A sheet is porous and could hold other bacteria's spores.

my apologies.

--------------------

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
Ah, that explains it.  Typical know-it-all noob.  We get a few thousand just like you register here every year.  They try a few grows, fail miserably and then after a few months or one bad trip, go back to sniffing glue, never to be seen again.

We have a basic pf tek that's idiot proof enough for noobs to get fucked up with their friends. 

Mycologists on the other hand grow for the love of growing.  They want to experiment with various species, substrates, and fruiting environments. They'll move on to isolate strains, attempt hybridization, and in general treat cultivation as an artform, rather than a chore that must be performed as a means to an end.  They'll work twice as hard for a ten percent gain, just for the love of perfection.  These are the ones who will isolate strains, not the dumb fucks who treat mushrooms as a drug, or even worse, a pathogen, as if mushrooms cause disease.
RR [/quote]

Offlinebig_al_one
Stranger
Male

Re: Is dark room for birthing cakes necessary? Noobie first timer [Re: medicine man]
    #8313524 - 04/22/08 07:50 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

medicine man said:
Inoculate, birth and then fruit. I've read plenty that says all you need is ambient light and the 12 on 12 off is not necessary but most people do it that way. Posts say you can colonize without total darkness some people say they have much more than 12hrs light. So if your birthing that means your already colonized and you want light, FAE and RH so you should be fine if you get enough ambient light in there. If not add some. But if worried about too much light I don't think it's a problem cause at night it's going to be dark. Again some posts say you only need a few hrs, some say 12 and some say more. If you have too much cover with a black plastic garbage bag or sheet. One problem with light (sun or high engery bulb is it will create heat and also could dry out you substrate)

Thanks that is what i wanted to hear. so I will proceed and birth them in a double tub with perlite. Thanks again

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags