Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern Tundra
Should join the dark side?
    #8307997 - 04/20/08 02:31 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have done a lot of searching and reading and Im tryin not to be a lazy newbie, so my apologies If I ask something stupid

I realize there are threads about light and dark, but so many of them are opposing, So I am wondering what the most recent experienced growers think about this.

I have inoculated some half pint jars (PF tek) and they are currently incubating(with foil on top), in a tub on top of another tub with heated water set up, I have it at about 81 on the temp gauge inside the tub, this is good I assume as I have read that the jars retain a little heat, possibly up to 5 degrees ... correct me if Im wrong ......... Right now the incubation chamber is in my room which gets pretty good lighting, but the most recent things I have read on the subject seem to suggest dark during incubation as it helps later in the process of pinning/fruiting ... but also read where some say it has no benefits or ill efects .... so anyways they have been in some light (somewhat covered) for a couple days .... I would put them in my closet but Im afraid that theres too many possible contams in there since it is carpeted and enclosed ..... If I oust the closet will it be okay? Am I just being over worried? and If the jars have been exposed to light for a few days is it too late for the dark to still be beneficial when introducing light in the FC?

Any help is much appreciated
Happy 420!

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: Mindz Eye]
    #8308015 - 04/20/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

you worry too much.

about the only way a jarred cake is going to fruit is when it runs out of nutrients to eat completely. once that happens, then yes...light, air, etc will start making it pin.
it'll also pin without any light or fresh air, within the jar too...all due to age.

so, the age of your jars is of more concern in my opinion, than keeping them in light, or keeping them dark.

in fact, i can notice no difference whatsoever between jars left out on shelves to colonize, jars left in incubators in dark to colonize, and jars that are switched between the two.

--------------------

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: dysphoria]
    #8308042 - 04/20/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think I was unclear about fruiting and pinning, I didnt mean in the jar, but you answered my quesiton in the latter part anyways

Mooch Oss Grossy Oss

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #8308046 - 04/20/08 02:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

not when it runs out of nutrients sompletely, but when it colonizes it's habitat sufficiently, by whatever mechanism[s] it determines this, to begin developing healthy fruits [and of course when basic requirements are met]. i've seen half colonized pint jars that had stalled pin invitro.

still, as stated above; you worry too much.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

#8308055 - 04/20/08 02:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

One more thing ......

If light doesnt matter so much, then why is it that side pinning happens in clear conatiners that arent covered ........ light only matters in regards to pinning and fruiting, and not so much to colonizing cakes?

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #8308071 - 04/20/08 03:07 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

correct.
when entering pinning mode, that is when light and the direction it comes from is important.

before that, it could give a shit. (p. cubensis specifically)

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8308078 - 04/20/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

by the time you have a colonized substrate of any substantial mass, all the nessecary nutrients are stored away and the organism is waiting for an excuse to fruit [as an over generalization].

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

#8308079 - 04/20/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Cool ... thanks again

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #8308083 - 04/20/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

~I don't know about a 5degree increase in temp. in jars; probably about 3-4dg.? In bags it must be about 5degrees. Keep the colonizing jars in light and below 80degrees. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: Psuper]
    #8308110 - 04/20/08 03:27 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Okie dokie

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: Psuper]
    #8308202 - 04/20/08 04:02 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

below a certain temperature [mid seventies] i actually notice my spawn jars becomming considerably cooler than the ambient air, not warmer. i have no real idea of the HR in my incubation area, but it seems to be low, so i do not think moisture condensing/evaporating from the glass is the cause, though i don't know.

--------------------

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: canid]
    #8308440 - 04/20/08 05:52 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

canid said:
below a certain temperature [mid seventies] i actually notice my spawn jars becomming considerably cooler than the ambient air, not warmer. i have no real idea of the HR in my incubation area, but it seems to be low, so i do not think moisture condensing/evaporating from the glass is the cause, though i don't know.

I understand what your sayin in the context but for the sake of a newb what is the actual acronym for HR ...?

I would say generally that glass tends to stay cooler than ambient air around those temps anyways and prob. isnt enough to heat the substrate in any significant way or keep any heat in the first place ........ high 70's is probably a breaking point where the jars become heated thoroughly enough to heat the substrate and hold a temp higher than whatever the ambient air is ........ i suppose it could depend on the heating method used too, if jars are touching somehting heated they may transfer heat through the jar more efficiently whereas being heated purely by the air it may not reach the substrate as easily

I dont know, just a thought

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8308462 - 04/20/08 06:01 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

sorry, i meant t type RH [relative humidity]

--------------------

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

#8308507 - 04/20/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

oh ok ..... I was guessin' humidity range but didnt seem right , thanks for clearin that up

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Invisiblecrazyoutlaw
~tHa gANgsTa,ThEKILla,& tHa doPedeaLeR~
Male

#8308589 - 04/20/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It is ALOT better to colonize jars in absolute darkness than in a well lit environment.Both in my experience and in theory.Just picture mushrooms how they grow in the wild..when the myc is developing,the myc is still "under"the cow shit..meaning no light is hitting it.Then,when the myc starts to overtake the top of the "apple pie",it sends a message to start fruiting.
~CO~

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Re: Should join the dark side? [Re: crazyoutlaw]
    #8308604 - 04/20/08 06:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

crazyoutlaw said:
It is ALOT better to colonize jars in absolute darkness than in a well lit environment.

~I would love to see your evidence of this. Because I don't believe it. The idea that jars have to kept in darkness is just old misinformation just like people saying they need to be kept in incubators at more than 80degrees to colonize better. ~Pixie~

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8308643 - 04/20/08 07:16 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i haven't truly dark colonized my jars for a goodly number of years now and i've been through at least a hundred lb of spawn by now for various projects. i really see no good reason to keep them in the dark unless they're taking forever to finish out, in which case, a bit of invitro fruiting is bound to happen from time to time.

as far as your arguement goes, practice demonstrates the flaws therein. yes they are phototrophic organisms, but that seems to be mostly a non-issue in the case of incubating spawn for 1.5-3 weeks. they also like good air exchange to lower CO2 concentrations to fruit optimally, but you see the trouble they can give not pinning immediately for some cultivators even then.

--------------------

OfflineMindz Eye
Male User Gallery

#8308663 - 04/20/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

crazyoutlaw said:
It is ALOT better to colonize jars in absolute darkness than in a well lit environment.Both in my experience and in theory.
~CO~

According to your other post you have never cultivated before ...... so how does this have to do with your experience? not scrutinizing, just curious

Knowing Pixie and canid have experience, I'll take thier word for it

--------------------
THE CENTER IS EVERYWHERE

Invisiblecrazyoutlaw
~tHa gANgsTa,ThEKILla,& tHa doPedeaLeR~
Male

#8308761 - 04/20/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have never FRUITED shrooms..but I have colonized jars..When I switched them to darkness...and stopped checking in on em' so much..they EXPLODED with growth.Oh and "PIXIE"..I guess you think it's misinformation..such as when people though coir had no nutes and was only a casing material huh??Its not misinformation..it's fact and nature.Psilocybe Cubensis Mycelium prefers darkness when overtaking a medium...beside too much light can provide energy to some molds and bacterial endospores that use photosynthesis(you do know what that means right Pixie?!?)as a means of energy.I guess this is old misinformation too huh??Its proven fact..something that goes hand in hand in the field of mycology..~BooOoYaaAA!!!~

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

#8308791 - 04/20/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I don't respond to flaming. And I am confused as to why you are being rude to me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order