Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXxShibbyxX
Adventurer
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, USA
A few questions for a new cactus grower
    #8295947 - 04/17/08 12:10 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Hi everyone. I havent been on here in a few months but Im back. I live in southern California and I have some free time lately so I decided to start a cactus garden. I have an idea of a few types I wanna get but I was wondering a few things like whats the best soil by far for seedlings?

Im gonna be getting some Lophophora Williamsii seeds here shortly and I wanna know the best way to grow them. Now I want to grow them for their beauty and maybe if I grow enough in the years to come ill be able to enjoy what they have to offer also :-) but like I said I want to start a whole garden.

I also have a few questions about grafting because that seems like an intresting thing to do. I have been reading about it online a little bit and some say that for Lophophora Williamsii a TRICHOCEREUS CANDICANS is the best from grafting but Ive seen more of the pereskiopsis grafting on here. So my question is which in your guys opinion is better?

When I get the seeds do I need to plant them and let them germinate a little bit before grafting? Basically Im just starting out and want to do everything right. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks everyone

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: A few questions for a new cactus grower [Re: XxShibbyxX]
    #8296497 - 04/17/08 02:40 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

You need to plant them and let them germinate. Grafting to pereskiopsis is awesome because they grow like weeds. It's soooooo addictive!

I usually do something like this.

Quote:

Taharka said:
Here's what I do.

Shake Schultz Cactus & Succulent Potting Mix through a kitchen sieve. Mix the fine portion with water to saturation and microwave 2x 10 minutes in an unsealed container. Then seal the container and allow it to cool to room temperature. This should sterilize the soil and make sure you don't get any fungal or algal growth. Then, I fill shallow dishes with aquarium gravel, and the last inch with the prepared cactus soil. Excess water drains from the soil as it is being packed into the dish. Then, spread your cactus seeds on the soil and press them down into it, but do not cover. Finally, place the dishes into individual ziplock bags.

I usually get very high germination rates without any fungal growth. At about two weeks, I poke holes into the ziplock bags for air exchange, and gradually increase their number until around two months, when I remove them from the bags. I've found that the longer the seedlings are kept in the high-humidity environment of the bags, the faster they will grow. For me, they tend to slow down when removed, so I don't think I've found the ideal time to keep them inside the bags yet. Watering is usually not necessary while the seedlings are still in the bags.

This technique has worked well for everything I've tried, Ariocarpus, Astrophytum, Lophophora, Trichocereus, Carnegia, and Turbinicarpus.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor

Re: A few questions for a new cactus grower [Re: XxShibbyxX]
    #8296917 - 04/17/08 04:21 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

id stay away from candicans for grafting because the spines make it a pain in the ass. id go with myrtillo, T.pach,T.scop or any nearly spineless cacti for that matter.
obviously if your starting with seeds go with pereskiopsis until they are large enough to put on a larger stock.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder