Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Weird looking purple/pink "contamination" what am I looking at? 3rd Casing has it now!
    #8278310 - 04/13/08 03:50 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Check out what I spied on one of the casings. Looks like a weird contamination or something.

Through the sides of the container on that casing I see a fuzzy looking red'ish pasty looking stuff on some rye. Also, looks like some aborts are looking weird and gooey.

Check it out:

Thanks for looking :wink:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Edited by andrewss (04/18/08 02:39 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJusListen
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: HERE
Re: Weird looking "contamination" what am I looking at?? [Re: andrewss]
    #8278331 - 04/13/08 03:57 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

looks like sidepinning in first 2 pics..

3rd looks like a contam.. to me anyways..
just pull the qtip test on that ish...

Edited by JusListen (04/13/08 03:58 PM)

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Re: Weird looking "contamination" what am I looking at?? [Re: JusListen]
    #8278507 - 04/13/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Here are better pictures. This is of a piece of rye grain with the pink ish on it:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#8279409 - 04/13/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

More pictures, these are better... it seems like a pasty purple/pink contam. I figure its a nasty bacteria or mold. I read that a particular purple contam can be linked to meningitis. I think I might have to bite the bullet and trash all my casings. What are you guys thinking?

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#8279724 - 04/13/08 09:27 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Does anyone know of dangers of these purple molds or bacteria? Should I be concerned about my whole room being contaminated as in unsafe for respiration, etc... or is it no big deal, just toss the stuff and spray some OUST?

More info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, should I pick the fruits I have right now from the other casings? Is there danger of sickness from the current fruits that all look visually fine. Anyway, a friend ate 8.3 grams wet just yesterday from these casings and he didnt have discomfort. But I dont understand how the pathogens/toxins work.

More info appreciated!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#8280018 - 04/13/08 10:30 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

last picture, I decided to destroy one of my casings to see how bad the purple was. It appears to have just been around the outer borders by the edges. Here is a picture:

I really looked at the casings and it appears that the one with the most pins has no visible purple stuff going on. I dunno what that means but I might just leave that in the FC by itself and trash the other purple'ish casing.

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#8301245 - 04/18/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Welp... more pins keep on showing up on the last of the 3 casings I have kept, but none get that big really.

Anyway, bad news is I spotted a kernel of rye grain that had some of that same ole pink/purple growth on it. I quickly spooned out that area of the cake and dabbed the area with h202 and put some salt in there. I know the cake probably didnt like that but I felt that it will make me feel better about ridding that foothold the contam had.

I very closely inspected the sides and bottom of the casing and saw no other signs of the contam, so I think I spotted and removed the contam very quickly.

Hopefully it doesnt come back.

I again sterlized as best I could my room and surfaces.

I dont plan to throw this casing out, as like I did with the other 2, but thats because they had so much more contam on them, but even then after destroying them in a ziplock bag I didnt see any contam in them more than superficial so I dont worry about fruit bodies in this current cake being hurt by it.

Do you all agree, just proceed and keep harvesting? If it come back again in more force I will eventually just scrap it.

DAMN CONTAMINATES!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#8301455 - 04/18/08 03:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I have been researching the issue of eating healthy fruits from a cake/casing that had a touch of contam in an area... Anyway, this is what I have found:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's just another myth.  Green molds such as trichoderma are a fact of life in the commercial mushroom industry, just as with homegrowers.  If you've ever bought mushrooms at the grocery store, chances are you've eaten mushrooms from a casing with green molds. 

Those people with a penicillin allergy should learn to recognize that mold.  It's very distinct from trichoderma.

Certain types of aspergillis and cladosporium will produce toxic compounds on feed corn that has been in storage for a long period of time. Cattle and dogs have been killed by this mold, and humans can be sickened by eating tortillas that were made with the contaminated corn.  However, these toxins take a year or more to develop, therefore they are not a contaminant of mushroom cultivation with our very short growth cycles. Any corn or other grain we use is properly sterilized before use.

The short answer is the green molds will spread and the spores will stick to your walls, clothes, hands, etc., so I recommend tossing any substrate with green out as soon as you find it. This will help to prevent losing future projects when those spores find your next substrate.  Any fruits that are growing on the infected substrate are safe to eat though.  Period.  Make sure the fruits are fresh and not rotten.  If they are rotten, bacteria has started growing and you can get a nasty case of food poisoning from them.
RR

Quote:

MAIA said:
RogerRabbit gave you a good explanation. Regarding why we recommend most people not to eat mushrooms from a contaminated substrate, is due to the fact that most people cannot properly identify some contaminants. Even with a good macroscopic evaluation after watching a pic, a microscopical analysis will also be of great importance to know what you're dealing with.

Mycotoxins play a great deal on why eating contaminated mushrooms might be negative to your health. Most known species of contaminants producing mycotoxins are aspergillus, fusarium, penicillium, stachybotrys and myrothecium. Some mycotoxins are carcinogenic, some are vasoactive, and some cause central nervous system damage. Often, a single mycotoxin can cause more than one type of toxic effect.

So, be careful, and if you're consuming contaminated mushrooms, be sure to know what they really are. As precaution, we always recommend newbies and most people, to consume "clean" mushrooms.

MAIA

OK, so the consensus is that if the fruit bodies are present and look normal and healthy without contamination on or closely around the mycelium network local to the fruit bodies its OK to injest that fruit body. Am I correct in my understanding of what was written by RR and MAIA?

I guess I just want to be assured there isnt a risk, especially with normal, healthy individuals eating good looking fruits. Obviously all my casings/cakes got a wee bit of the pinkish stuff on some rye grains, I threw out the 2 that had it pretty far gone around the borders. My last casing I found it before it even was apparent on no more than ONE piece of rye grain. I spooned it out and dabbed h202 and salt in the "wound"

Anyway, let me know if it would be a horrible idea for consumption of my healthy fruits and already established 2nd flush? I want some assurances I guess. Thank you shroomery!!! :smile:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlinepoof
Stranger
    #8304578 - 04/19/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If it doesnt kill you it will only make you stronger. Or damage you permanently.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Re: Weird looking "contamination" what am I looking at?? [Re: poof]
    #8311957 - 04/21/08 07:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

^ yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Anymore input?

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #8319693 - 04/23/08 05:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
last picture, I decided to destroy one of my casings to see how bad the purple was. It appears to have just been around the outer borders by the edges. Here is a picture:

I really looked at the casings and it appears that the one with the most pins has no visible purple stuff going on. I dunno what that means but I might just leave that in the FC by itself and trash the other purple'ish casing.

i don't know about black mold but thats trich right there in the middle

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Weird looking "contamination" what am I looking at?? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #8319711 - 04/23/08 05:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yeah from what im seeing your getting some serious contams.... you might need to start over man.... i know its hard with shrooms growing out of them.... but when you see contams like that its just not safe to eat... you might get sick!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract