Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewocka
Lurker

TOPFIN pH Decrease?
    #8254626 - 04/08/08 08:20 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

I was trying to get ahold of some agricultural hydrated lime to make my substrate of coco-coir more acidic. I came across a Topfin ph decreaser and increaser, it geuss it lowers the pH for aquariums. it is in liquid form. the bottle suggest 5ml of solution for 10 gallons of water.

my question is could i mix this in my coco-coir substrate to make it stronger against contams?

Like maybe when i boil my pot of water to throw in the brick of coco-coir to expand i could add this ph decreaser, either that or after its at field capacity. wat do you all suggest

Edited by wocka (04/08/08 08:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cold places
Re: TOPFIN pH Decrease? [Re: wocka]
    #8254639 - 04/08/08 08:31 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

First consider what pH you want to achieve.

When you say you want to make the substrate more acidic, do you know how acidic you want to go? If so then yes, you can actually calculate how much pH lowering solution (ie. acid) you need to add.

I have two concerns though. First being that you want to select an acid that has two soluble fractions that will not sequester nutrients upon dissolution. I'd suggest something like acetic acid (vinegar) or carbonic acid (soda water). Other acids may be too strong and hydrolyze the nutrients.

Second, adding lime does not make the substrate more acidic, in fact, it would have the net effect of making it slightly less acidic (more basic). The reason you add lime to the substrate (usually casing layer) is to buffer the pH of the environment at a pH of around 6.4 (slightly acidic).

If you are really hell-bent on making your substrate more acidic, you could always add some coffee grounds. Or experiment and add the pH reducer (remember acid = low pH). To add a calculated amount of the solution, you would need to know: the concentration of acid, the pKa of the acid, and the final volume of solution you wish to use. Then use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation to solve for the unknown concentration of acid (referred to as [HA] in the equation).

--------------------
-AV-

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: TOPFIN pH Decrease? [Re: amanitavirosa]
    #8254660 - 04/08/08 08:40 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

nice answer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offlinewocka
Lurker

#8254664 - 04/08/08 08:41 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Okay, Ill scratch the aquarium pH adjusters

the reason why im trying to use a ph buffer or something like that, (hydrated lime,carbonated soda, vinegar) is because my last coco coir as a bulk substrate got contamed by trich, on the bottom it had a big colony, so that means it got in there before the mycelium did.

To sterilize my coco coir is broke it up with mildly hot water, and baked it in the oven for 160 at one hour.

How much of carbonated soda should i add to coco coir, and is this before or after i sterilize/prep it

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
    #8254680 - 04/08/08 08:47 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

do you have a ph tester..... also i don't think raising the ph is going to help..... how are you trying to colonize( what method? grain pf cake?)

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

#8254689 - 04/08/08 08:52 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

If you are sterilizing (I think you mean to pasteurize it instead - meaning lower temp. than 121'C) then you really shouldn't need the increased acidic conditions.

I am not convinced that decreasing the pH will work for Trichoderma. I know of a few scientific papers which actually grow Trichoderma (wildtype) at low pH without issues. Low pH is more so to prevent bacterial contamination.

If you are insistent on using the acidic inhibition method, pasteurize your coco coir first, then try soaking it in a weak vinegar solution (say, 100mL in 1L water) and then let it drain off for a bit and then moisten to your preference with water.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Re: TOPFIN pH Decrease? [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #8254700 - 04/08/08 08:55 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

preschooler said:
do you have a ph tester..... also i don't think raising the ph is going to help..... how are you trying to colonize( what method? grain pf cake?)

Using those pool pH test strips work well as a pH indicator actually.

But just to avoid confusion here, he wants to lower the pH and not raise it.

Imagine a number line for a second...

1~~~2~~~3~~~4~~~5~~~6~~~7~~~8~~~9~~~10~~~11~~~12~~~13~~~14
Acid~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Base

Low pH = acid
High pH = base
pH = 7 = neutral

Offlinewocka
Lurker

#8254753 - 04/08/08 09:12 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

so was there any way to stop the trich from hitting my coco coir early on? i spawned colonized rye to the coco coir, but i think i may have used too much substrate and not enough spawn. next time ill look into this

Invisiblemyelination
psychopharmacologist
 User Gallery

#8254823 - 04/08/08 09:55 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

you don't mention what you used but most people recommend a ratio of 1:4 (spawn:substrate) by volume. going a bit higher (1:2 or even 1:1) would give the mycelium more of a chance to colonize the sub quickly, lessening the chance of contaminations.

Offlinewocka
Lurker

Re: TOPFIN pH Decrease? [Re: myelination]
    #8256588 - 04/08/08 06:30 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

thats what im going to be doing next.

how thick of a spawn/substrate/mycelium colony do you need for it to fruit? like 2"?

Invisiblejinxedsoul
It's all in yourhead.
Male User Gallery

#8256662 - 04/08/08 06:45 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

most would recommend 4" substrate with 1/2" casing.

Offlinewocka
Lurker

Re: TOPFIN pH Decrease? [Re: jinxedsoul]
    #8256684 - 04/08/08 06:51 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

If i dont have that much spawn wat would be the least amount of substrate i.e an inch?

Invisiblejinxedsoul
It's all in yourhead.
Male User Gallery

#8256705 - 04/08/08 06:56 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

less substrate = small fruits
I wouldn't go less then 2" I am sure less would work just hinder your yield.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,240 topic views. 29 members, 195 guests and 71 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.