Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenoobus
Stranger
Mushroom ID? (pic included)
    #8248850 - 04/06/08 11:07 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Im about 100% sure its not a psilocybe, but I was curious if anyone know what it could be?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMontanahunter420
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID? (pic included) [Re: noobus]
    #8248866 - 04/06/08 11:16 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Need some more information
Habitat:
Gills:
Geographic Location:
Stem:

A description of some of the items. A picture of the gills and stem would also help.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

Offlinenoobus
Stranger
Re: Mushroom ID? (pic included) [Re: Montanahunter420]
    #8248899 - 04/06/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Habitat: Low spiky green plant living in wood chip area
Stem: was whiter before, but I threw it outside earlier today (thus the slug enjoying it in the pic :laugh:)

Edited by noobus (04/06/08 11:43 PM)

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#8249052 - 04/07/08 12:05 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I am thinking it may fall into the Agrocybe praecox cluster, although I am usually wrong. Non-active for sure.

A few more details needed

Was it growing directly from the wood chip bed, or from soil?

Did you notice any type of veil left over on the mushroom or if it was growing in a cluster from any of the other mushrooms in the cluster?

--------------------

Edited by Montanahunter420 (04/07/08 12:14 AM)

Offlinenoobus
Stranger
    #8249129 - 04/07/08 12:23 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I would say it was growing from the soil underneath the bed of chips.
It was a rather small cluster, about 10 at most. I did not see any veils over any of them... sorry I don't have as much info. Next time I'll be sure to take a pic of the cluster.

Sounds like my best bet would be for finding Panaeolus Subbalteatus in SoCal?

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #8249233 - 04/07/08 01:00 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I agree, it looks like Agrocybe praecox.

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID? (pic included) [Re: scout24]
    #8249276 - 04/07/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Here is a link to the Agrocybe praecox cluster

Panaeolus Subbalteatus would be the easiest active to find in southern California.

--------------------

Offlinenoobus
Stranger
    #8249338 - 04/07/08 01:59 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

o0o0o0o0o0 I should have chomped on it :P.

Oh, one other question I have is if I am finding "wild" mushrooms, isn't there a possibility that there could be contaminants in the shrooms (like, let's say, insect repellent), that could harm me upon ingestion? Or is the fact that they have sprouted a testimony to the fact that the soil and nutrients are safe for its growth (assuming it is a non-toxic species).

Sorry if that's a little confusing, I'm just paranoid about eating stuff I find on the ground, hahaha.

Thanks!

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#8250181 - 04/07/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

No Agrocybe species should be considered for the table. They are hard to identify, and could be confused with several poisonous species from other genera.

I really wouldn't worry about contaminants in the shrooms just worry about eating the wrong mushrooms, or eating spoiled ones as food poisoning can suck balls.

--------------------

Edited by Montanahunter420 (04/07/08 11:01 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #8251685 - 04/07/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Noobus, you *should* be somewhat concerned about the possibility of contamination of mushrooms from their environment. Here are some areas you should avoid eating mushrooms from:

Roadsides (especially busy roads) - the soil often has lead from when gasoline had lead in it, and many mushrooms will concentrate that lead. You don't want lead in any quantity in your body if it can be avoided.

Golf Courses - these tend to be heavy users of pesticides, and those pesticides can end up in the mushrooms.

Well kept lawns - a "perfect" lawn is an indicator that the owner uses a lot of pesticides and other chemicals you don't want to eat.

Near Mine Tailings - this tends to be more in states like Colorado (where I live). Areas near mine tailings often have incredibly high levels of various metals. I know of a river here that has been contaminated by mine tailings so that you can't eat fish out of it (arsenic!).

Near dumps - people throw away lots of stuff they're not supposed to, and the toxins leach out into the nearby areas.

The vast majority of places you can find mushrooms will be OK. Just try to be conscious of the possibility that the area might have something you don't want contaminating it. If you have any doubts, don't eat the mushrooms.

We had a case a few years back here in Colorado where a 10 year old boy was poisoned when he ate a mushroom that somebody (inexplicably) sprayed insect repellent (DEET) on. He was in a coma for a couple days and it wasn't certain for a while that he would recover. Fortunately he did recover.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Mushroom ID? (pic included) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8252724 - 04/07/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
Noobus, you *should* be somewhat concerned about the possibility of contamination of mushrooms from their environment. Here are some areas you should avoid eating mushrooms from:

Roadsides (especially busy roads) - the soil often has lead from when gasoline had lead in it, and many mushrooms will concentrate that lead. You don't want lead in any quantity in your body if it can be avoided.

Golf Courses - these tend to be heavy users of pesticides, and those pesticides can end up in the mushrooms.

Well kept lawns - a "perfect" lawn is an indicator that the owner uses a lot of pesticides and other chemicals you don't want to eat.

Near Mine Tailings - this tends to be more in states like Colorado (where I live). Areas near mine tailings often have incredibly high levels of various metals. I know of a river here that has been contaminated by mine tailings so that you can't eat fish out of it (arsenic!).

Near dumps - people throw away lots of stuff they're not supposed to, and the toxins leach out into the nearby areas.

The vast majority of places you can find mushrooms will be OK. Just try to be conscious of the possibility that the area might have something you don't want contaminating it. If you have any doubts, don't eat the mushrooms.

We had a case a few years back here in Colorado where a 10 year old boy was poisoned when he ate a mushroom that somebody (inexplicably) sprayed insect repellent (DEET) on. He was in a coma for a couple days and it wasn't certain for a while that he would recover. Fortunately he did recover.

Happy mushrooming!

Learn something new every day.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale