Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
Mycelium growing into Geolite
    #8239130 - 04/04/08 05:28 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

this is the first time that I have used geolite. I made a Poor man's pod and stuck a cake inside and it fruited beautifully but when I picked the cake up a bunch of geolite was stuck on the bottom of the cake. so I had to seperate it all from the cake.

My question is: is it ok to just put the mycelium covered geolite back in the pod without washing them? Also, when I picked up the cake there was a lot of mycelium wrapped around other geolite pieces underneath it. I just want to make sure it's ok so I dont end up contaminating my cake.

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mycelium growing into Geolite [Re: meatman]
    #8239911 - 04/04/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

cake is supposed to go on a lid.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Mycelium growing into Geolite [Re: laughingdog]
    #8240035 - 04/04/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

laughingdog said:
cake is supposed to go on a lid.

Or some foil, or a cd/dvd, anything to keep the cake off the geolite.

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Mycelium growing into Geolite [Re: creekfreek]
    #8245020 - 04/05/08 11:48 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

you can put a cake on geolite, but it's not the wisest move.

I did that one time and the myc started to grow down to drink from the water. they had a few rocks stuck to them. Just take em out, wash them off good with soap then you can put back in.

you have to make sure that if you're going to grow directly on top of the geolite, you make sure you get all the myc from the FC. They will grow in between the rocks, and maybe down near the water. Any left over is going to cause contamination when it rots.

Probably just better to use a foil though.

--------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers from stupid people.

Watch Zeitgeist and Tell Others

Offlinehowardroark
the architect
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada!
Re: Mycelium growing into Geolite [Re: buggas]
    #8245611 - 04/06/08 07:06 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I don't use tinfoil/cds/dvds because when I spray the cakes I get little standing pools of water forming on them.

Instead, I use upside down mason jar lids filled with dry verm. It's perfect because it protects from contams and absorbs water during misting.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't put the cakes on the geolite/perlite.

--------------------
The most important motive for work in school and in life is pleasure in work, pleasure in its result, and the knowledge of the value of the result to the community. - A. Einstein.

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Mycelium growing into Geolite [Re: howardroark]
    #8252125 - 04/07/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Keep in mind that little pools of water are okay to have, mostly. Some here, like RR, even suggest that when your cake is getting dry, to put it in a little saucer with a bit of water for drinking. It's saved my ass on numerous occasions!

howardroark's idea is good, except for the use of mason jar lids. I noticed that mine got super rusted after a grow and i had to buy more. IMO, it would be better to just use little plastic lids or make a small dish (not flat) out of foil so the water gets directed to the cake. The verm is a good idea since it will store the water for whenever the cake wants it.

Temporary collections of water are ok, as long as they have some sort of purpose within the following 24 hours (i.e.: myc drinking water, methods of humidity, etc). Otherwise they can become a source of contamination.

Agreed, just skip direct contact.

--------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers from stupid people.

Watch Zeitgeist and Tell Others

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies