Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKocLobster
Noob
Male

Loc: WA
Early washington mushrooms.. need ID?
    #8233185 - 04/03/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Mushroom 1
Habitat: Found growing in the woods on the ground, which was basically completely covered with moss. Near sea level, in the PNW (pacific northwest?)
Gills: Dark brown with some light brown, looks like it attached to stem, somewhat deep grooves
Stem: About 2 inches long and 3-5mm in diameter, hollow and thin, and it was white to grey with a little light brown
Cap: 3/4-1 inch in diameter, light brown to brownish, the edges of the cap were dark brown almost black, and the cap curved down in a round shape

Had a fairly faint smell, somewhat earthy. These three mushrooms all grew in a different spot in the same area, but I am pretty confident they are all the same type of mushroom, which is why I'm only listing this as one mushroom.

Mushroom 2
Habitat: Exact same area
Gills: Mostly white, some tan, and the gills were clearly attached up to the stem, adnexed
Stem: Half inch long at most, short and stuby, was solid not hollow, 3-5mm in diameter, white
Cap: 1 inch in diameter, white with some tan, round and caves down

This was a pretty small mushroom and I could only find one like it, it had a slightly more distinct smell to it than the first mushroom,
a little more earthy if anything. I didnt take a picture of the cap of this mushroom because there was really nothing special about it,
it was just basically white with a little tan on the tip of the cap.

I realize that these are probably incredibly common mushrooms and are probably not active but I still hope these can be IDd just so I can learn a little. None of the mushrooms have began bruising, I have taken care of them. Sorry if I took too many pictures.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Early washington mushrooms.. need ID? [Re: KocLobster]
    #8233298 - 04/03/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

First one looks like Psathyrella longistriata. Second one is probably a Mycena, of some kind. Could even be Mycena overholtzii, but that would be a longshot. There are tons of nearly identical Mycenas, so keying down to species is almost impossible. Neither are active, and neither have any culinary value.

--------------------

OfflineKocLobster
Noob
Male

Re: Early washington mushrooms.. need ID? [Re: landsnorkler]
    #8233362 - 04/03/08 12:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks snorkler, thats basically what I assumed that neither were active or useful.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8237016 - 04/04/08 02:39 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Psathyrella sounds good for the first one, but the second one doesn't look much like a Mycena. Those don't usually flatten out like that, they remain more campanulate in age and have different gill attachment. It looks more like an Omphalinoid species or a small Clitocybe.

OfflineKocLobster
Noob
Male

#8238077 - 04/04/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting, after reading that it definitely matches the mushroom I found. The spore print was slightly pale, not completely absent but somewhat there. Had I arranged it better it probably would have left more of a distinct spore print. I found it growing on the ground in moist moss. Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck