Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemykes
Stranger
need some advice for an automated terrarium setup
    #8212448 - 03/29/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

hey, Im planning to upgrade my setup from TiT chambers to something a lil more sophisticated & I have couple questions about the Terrarium setup & humidity.

the setup:

One thing I was thinking on doing was making a horizontal greenhouse/terrarium rather than a vertical one since I might not have access to an ideal closet to grow in & I have an idea of how to conceal it. Would there be any advantage to having a horizontal vs a vertical "greenhouse"?

on to the more important stuff, humidity:

I was hoping to use a bubbleh design by Teh Honeypotty, to provide humidity, but Im probably going to have a large volume (compared to my current setup) to humidify & I was wondering how powerful does the ultra sonic mister has to be per unit area (use w/e units youre comfortable with and I'll convert em later if I need to). And do I need to use an air pump thats meant for aquariums about the same size as my terrarium or will a smaller pump perform the same or better?

my design is still in the early stages, but once I get all the details planned out, I probably posted some plans & whatnot for ya'll to check out before construction begins. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKnifeplay
HAIR POLICE
 User Gallery

Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: mykes]
    #8212797 - 03/29/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Looking forward to this. Are you going to be using cakes?

--------------------
bmiles: shrooms are 90% cum.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: Knifeplay]
    #8212848 - 03/29/08 10:53 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

sounds like good ideas, good luck!

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: shroober]
    #8213390 - 03/30/08 03:05 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

the only problem i see is that one end will get a lot of humidity and the other will be drier. I wouldn't be so concerned with the amount of vapor the fogger will produce, but rather how much air will be pushing it around. You can leave the fogger on all day and it will make more than enough humidity, but can you get all that vapor into the terrarium and move it around is the question.

If you can't put the humidity input in the center, maybe use 2 inputs, one on either end. You can use a valve to limit the flow into the closer input, and allow full flow to the far one since it will need to push air all the way. Make sure there are no dips in the hose for water vapor to collect and block airflow.

how horizontal are you talking? what are the dimensions? make sure it's high enough for mushies to grow tall:) I've made that mistake before.

i had a bubbler (bubbleh) like that before but i had to add water like once a week and it became a pain in my ass. Try to use larger diameter hose too (at least 5/8"). It will help keep FAE high and prevent mildew (assuming your pump is adequate).

Are you planning on fanning and misting as well, or is the bubbler's purpose to provide both humidity and FAE?

FME I would recommend fanning and misting as well. Unless you're using one hell of a pump (which i wasn't: 15gal pump/12 gal tub = :frown: ), the bubbler idea may not be sufficient.

Make sure the pump can provide plenty of pressure or there is no point to using it. It could be like trying to use a syringe to put out a campfire.

Good luck my friend. and don't forget to plan/research carefully or you will waste lots of money (like my dumb ass)

--------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers from stupid people.

Watch Zeitgeist and Tell Others

OfflineShroomie McGee
StreetPharmacist
Male

Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: buggas]
    #8213936 - 03/30/08 10:52 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

See I was actually thinking bout using the bubbler too but I couldnt hind anybody thats used it. I wonder how big of a air pump you would need for a martha or one of those mini-greenhouses?

--------------------
I recently came across some Red Cap Vacutainers (GREAT for injection ports or LC) - 10 ml 16x100 mm..... if anyone is interested in trading for some prints or anything actually, PM me

Offlinemykes
Stranger
Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: Shroomie McGee]
    #8214443 - 03/30/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I thought about distributing the air and i like buggas suggestion & i'll probably try to run w/that. I also thought that maybe creating an air current would help distribute the humidity. Possibly have the hose(s) of the bubbleh going into one end/middle of the terrarium and have a small computer fan on the other end. The fan would pull the air inside the gh to the outside. Maybe also use an air filter w/the fan. So the fan would be mounted on the outside of the terrarium and an air filter would be taped on the inside, just as a safety measure. I'm not sure if or how much moisture the filter would soak up around it though.

Or maybe just have the fan or fans completely inside the terrarium just to stir the around.

I think I'm going to use casings to answer Knifeplay's question.

A rough estimate of the volume of the terrarium would be 35 gal (4.5 ft^3, ). it'll probably be a foot high. *i think messed up calculating the volume the first time*

So would I need an air pump meant for 35 gals?

I was thinking about concealing it by creating a rolling platform made of plywood & have everything sitting on top of that & i could just roll it in & out from under the bed.

i layed out one possible design last night, but since I'm new to greenhouses & automated terrariums, I have no idea if its going to effective or not. I'll get it drawn up on the computer & post it later.

Right now theres alot of guess work on my end, so I really appreciated the help. :smile:

Edited by mykes (03/30/08 02:05 PM)

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

#8219974 - 03/31/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

See I was actually thinking bout using the bubbler too but I couldnt hind anybody thats used it. I wonder how big of a air pump you would need for a martha or one of those mini-greenhouses?

I would say a pretty large one. I think you may be better of getting a cool-mist since an air pump for that size would have to be pretty big. Remember, a aquarium pump is for pumping air (mostly small bubbles) into water (lots of water), which is obviously way heavier than air. A cool-mist is made for putting humidity into air so it's got less 'torque' than an aq. pump. Does that make sense? IME, aquarium pumps are good at pushing a pretty good amount of air through a small hose. but after that, it's done, there isn't much else it does. It won't circulate the air or anything (at least not significantly enough)

I haven't dealt with a martha or a green house, but i would think that you just need to get the volume of air saturated with water and for a smaller price, a small coolmist will work really well. Plus, it's a lot simpler than rigging up a bubbler type of system and it will push the air around a bit more.

Most aq. pumps (even big'uns) are made for pushing air through hoses < 1" max; but with a cool mist, you would want your hose to be 1" min at least! See what i'm getting at.

Quote:

I thought about distributing the air and i like buggas suggestion & i'll probably try to run w/that. I also thought that maybe creating an air current would help distribute the humidity. Possibly have the hose(s) of the bubbleh going into one end/middle of the terrarium and have a small computer fan on the other end. The fan would pull the air inside the gh to the outside. Maybe also use an air filter w/the fan. So the fan would be mounted on the outside of the terrarium and an air filter would be taped on the inside, just as a safety measure. I'm not sure if or how much moisture the filter would soak up around it though.

Or maybe just have the fan or fans completely inside the terrarium just to stir the around.

I think I'm going to use casings to answer Knifeplay's question.

A rough estimate of the volume of the terrarium would be 35 gal (4.5 ft^3, ). it'll probably be a foot high. *i think messed up calculating the volume the first time*

So would I need an air pump meant for 35 gals?

I like your fan idea and think that it's a good option (minus the extra complexity). I was thinking about doing that too and if you really, really want to do that, then i would recommend that you get a waterproof fan so that it doesn't break on you. Go to www.mouser.com and search for 'waterproof fans'. They have a shitload and for less than 20 bucks, you'll be good to go.

The filter will be soaked, and if not, it will be damp and allow nasties to get on it. You might as well toss in a dirty sock. Your FC doesn't have to be sterile, just clean, but don't add any unnecessary vectors for contams. You don't need the filter. The open spaces in the fan will be ok. Maybe just get a fan grille and a piece of that cover foam to protect from insects.

One thing about computer fans is that you want to get one that comes with a wall plug or one that can be attached to a wall plug (AC) HERE is a good place to start. If you use one that you have to connect to a battery, it will die in a day or so. Also, with a plug, you can then attach to a timer.

Unfortunately, i haven't been able to find a waterproof fan that has an AC cord.

---

(Sorry this is getting long, but i want to provide you and others with enough of my information.)

If you are going to use casings, you don't need any of that extra stuff. It is fun to try to build random complicated machines (reminds me of legos and erector sets); but in the end you will end up fucking with them more than they will be helping you. Plus if they break, then your assed out and have to buy more. Trust me.

Also, if your 'optimum conditions' setup relies on these complex parts, if they break, you'll defo be frustrated.

Second, if you're going to use casings, try to use as many casings as will fit into the terrarium. They will provide the moisture they need on their own. You just need to fan and mist once in the morning and once in the evening. This works wonders, believe me! If you cut some holes (quarter sized) about 6 inches apart (a top row and bottom row along the sides) then use polyfil or micropore tape to cover from insects, this will provide enough FAE during the long days, or if you go for a weekend trip. This allows you to turn your FC into a monotub of sorts.

If you're only able to use a portion of the terrarium space (i.e.: you don't have enough casings at any one time) then I would recommend getting 2 tubs that are each half the size of the large one you are looking at. This way you still have your long large tub (in theory), but you don't have to worry about filling up the entire thing to create enough RH. I would say that a tub that has 3/4 of it's internal space taken up by breathing mycellium, is just enough to be good. Any less and then you may consider alternative means of humidification. Even then i would probably think about a small amount of perlite.

Rather than trying to build something that has lots of moving parts and cool looking things going on. Try to build something that will remain clean, operational and efficient (financially, environmentally, and time-wise). You will be happier.

I've had some complex setups with lights and stuff, but over time, my hobby became engineering, not mushrooms. Plus, it didn't perform any better anyway.

--------------------

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#8220056 - 03/31/08 03:40 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Mykes,

Check out Akira's 'Orissa India Bulk Grow' (Tub Tek) ....

Lots of good info on automation .... etc.

Rico

ps .... someone please tell me how to put a 'link' to the Akira post in the body of my reply. ... Thanks

--------------------

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: need some advice for an automated terrarium setup [Re: uncle_rico]
    #8221148 - 03/31/08 06:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

replace the <> with [] in the following: <url=http://copy/link/here>;link text</url>

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds