Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDOWNTOFRY
ALBINO wijna
 User Gallery
MY SET UP__FEEDBACK?
    #8175409 - 03/21/08 10:38 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

HEY LEAVE SOME FEEDBACK, AND I DONT KNOW WHY THE PICTURES ARNT WORKING, LOOK IN MY JOURNAL TO SEE THEM. ALOT ARE PRETTY COOL! WELL LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

This was a Pf cake that I had found green contamination on. I took it out of my incubator as soon as I saw it and stuck that one and some more in an old milk crate. Later I ended up doing laundry and threw cloths on top of the crate, THUS not knowing it making another incubator for the contaminated PF cakes.
Many days later I cleaned my room and found a stock pile of Cakes that the mycelium had out grown the green mold. I experimented with these cakes in a completely separate fruiting camber and found that the green mold was just based in the middle of the cake waiting for its time to take over the cake. The green mold grew over just about in the middle of the first flush. I threw it all out but it was interesting to see that the mold had come, gone, and reappeared.

These are clean cakes, cut in slivers and layed in 70/30 mix, coir : vermic.

Little pins can be found on these. I was excited!

another amazing find within that stock pile of contaminated PF cakes. my room incubated them and they started growing within there jars.

next batch of cakes!

OH look! 18 days later! and the start to the next... next cakes!

Using “oust” an air sanitizer I cut down on containments in the air when mixing my cakes, I also always wash my hands with antibacterial soap, and use all purpose Lysol disinfectant cleaner on my counter tops. But when you are going to sterilize the cakes it might not matter but BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY!!!! Am I right? Who hates to see their pride and joy all go out the window because someone was too lazy!

CAKE RECIPE

I use a mix of vermiculite, brown rice flour, and water, a 21:7:8 ratio. I first mix in the 8 parts water with the 21 parts vermiculite. Make sure you use water bought from the store. Everything really counts when you watch for contamination. Once all the vermiculite is hydrated with the water, I like to add the 7 parts brown rice flour in increments of 1 part, more even distribution the better the mycelium will grow. I then cut out squares of tyvek paper from envelopes that I just walk into my local post office and ask for breathable envelopes they usually come in 15in by 11 or something there reasonably big. These are the best to use because they come straight from the packaging company, so there somewhat sterile, Better than stealing the siding paper from partially built houses. They have been outside in the bugs! Gross. So I cut out squares and put them under the lids. I started off by putting holes in the lids about ½ off center so when I inoculate my jars I can get my needle close to the wall of the jar (I like to see how much solution goes into my jars, I do it by feel rather than measuring). i then cover the tops of the jars with tin foil making sure the foil is nice and tight around my lids

PRESSURE COOKER

The Pressure cooker is the next step in the process of making the cakes. As I’m mixing up my cake mix I put the cooker on the oven on about heat temp 7 (my dial goes from 1-9 ) with water in the cooker and a towel on the bottom so when the jars go into the cooker they down crack from hitting the direct metal, also you don’t want the jars to have direct heat. The lid to the cooker is just sitting on top of the cooker to warm up the rubber seel; it’s kind of old so it needs some love. Once my jars are ready for the cooker I’m able to load 12 into it at once, I keep my cooker on for about 45 minutes at 15 psi.
I usually make about 24 jars so I do two batches. Once the jars are done cooking I let the cooker steam out and then wearing a hot mitt put the jars into a cardboard box that I sprayed with “oust” prior to putting the jars into, and let that box sit in my room until they are room temp, Most likely the next morning.

SPORE SYRINGES

At some point before making anything I buy one or so spore syringes, but where I’m different than others is when you buy those syringes they have SOO many spores in there, I can make about 20 more 12 cc syringes from just one. I boil water for 10 min and then carefully pour the water into a pint size mason jar that I will use tyvek on just like making the PF cakes. Then let it sit over night. I then take that one Mason jar into my bathroom that I sprayed with “oust” 5 min prior and then let it sit for a bit. But you can go to your local large animal feed place, I have a local horse care place where sterile syringes can be purchased, you ideally want 12 cc syringes with 18 gage needles make sure the needles are about 2 inches long. I like them, they’re nice. I put about 20 $ into syringes w/needles and came out with about 50 of them. But you can use those sterile needles for making more spore syringes, THEY do work! From one syringe I made 20 of them and with one of those 20’s I put about 3cc’s into a cake when inoculating it, and within 3 days I saw mycelium growth.

INCUBATOR

I use 2 plastic cargo boxes with about 5 inces of water in the first tub with about 10% (eye measured) hydrogen peroxide. To help keep clean, but about every 3 months I take it apart and clean it all out making sure I stay on top of cleanliness. Then the second tub is stacked within the other. I can hold about 30 some pint size jars, but when I have jars in there I air it out about every 5 days and take a clean towel straight from the dryer and take out the moisture on the walls. With the temperature kept at 85 degrees the cakes will keep giving off water so it’s just better in my eyes to take excess pooled water out. It takes my cakes about 20 days to be fully colonized. I also keep a heating pad under the incubator for extra heat; it’s always kept on med heat. Some nights if it gets cold enough living in a house with no heat I might keep another heating pad on top of it on low heat, but you really just need to watch the temperature of it.

PRE-Casting cake hydrate/crumbled

Before making my casting mix I take my fully colonized PF cakes and put them in a small tub with purified water and I put a pan on top of them over night in the fridge, the pan is to keep the whole cake submerged in the water. Putting the cakes in water is a temperature change to the cakes and it can keep them in a frozen state, there still alive but just paused in time. They can be stored for 4 months in a fridge with a house that has roommates, but if it was a sterile isolated fridge they have the potential to keep for 8 to 10 months. I had a mini fridge that I use to keep mine in.
So I put my cakes in the water bath over night and then put them in a zip lock bag where they are crushed into quarter-nickel size chunks. I then let them sit in those bags for a day in my room where the temp is around 75- 80 degrees all the time. Letting them sit on the shelf is to let them recoup and grow some fibers, I feel it helps. Putting a dark colored towel helps keep them dark, I don’t like to show them light until I want them to start to produce fruit. But once they have had their recoup I now have my crumbled hydrated cake.

CASTINGS

I go to my local pet shop and pretend my mushrooms are lizards and grab a couple bricks of the “ECO LOG” it’s some kind of flooring for lizards and frogs but to someone like me I call it a coco coir ingredient. A lot of the bricks have coconut fibers in the brick, and some people say that there not good to have in them but I figure if the mycelium is growing through it they act as a stabilizer. The more stable the taller the mushrooms can grow, you do the math.

I use a 5 gallon bucket and stick one of those eco bricks in there and add my 4 quarts of boiled water, let sit for 30 min to expand and then mix up with a wooden spoon. I put about 4 or so cups of left over brown rice flour into the coco coir, I make my mixture a 60-40 mix of eco log to vermiculite. I then cover it with plastic wrap poked with 5 holes in a micro wave able smaller container, and stick it in the micro wave for 8 to 10 min; make sure when you pull it out there’s a lot of condensation on the plastic wrap that’s a good way to tell if it’s just about hydrated. Make sure when you squeeze the mixture about the same as if you were to shake a hand, there is water running down your arm if held towards the ceiling. That’s the best I can describe it. But you need to get a feel for what you want yours like.

After the 8 min I right away spread the mixture in my tubs that I use for fruiting chambers, I like to have about 2 ½ -3 inches of my coir/vermic-brf mix (ha-ha) some would call it a substrate. I let it sit in the tubs over night, in a way I think it somewhat cleans the tubs because the substrate is so hot. After that night I’ll take my pre made crumbled hydrated cakes that have recouped and spread them out on my substrate, I make a good covering layer about ½ thick and I try to make it as flat as I can without packing my crumb cake down too much. The flatter and more level you have your shit the more even the pin growth will come, and thus easier flushes to pick and nicer to watch grow. And plus…. It’s what ballers do. I then add ½ inch to 1 inch of another mixture composed of the left over 60-40 coir/vermic-brf but I add about 15% crushed oyster shell to help with keeping a nutria Hp level when the mushrooms are growing it the shells seem to help give a stable base for the mushrooms to grow on. I’ve heard of people adding gypsum or used coffee grounds; I don’t know how those help never used them maybe help with feedback if you know. But I really want to use horse poo it’s hard to get but I’ve used it before and its worth every big. If anyone knows easy ways to pasteurize horse poo please share!

After it’s all smoothed out I cover it with plastic wrap again to keep the CO2 in, and then over with tin foil to keep light out. I set them in my closet on the shelves with an oil heater underneath them, I played around with my head prior to all this to keep it at 85 degrees, and as you can see in the picture I have a sheet pinned up to keep the heat in and thus less energy used, (I like to save the earth too! Every little thing counts) but it also is a smaller room that just the whole room so it’s easier to keep it at the right temp, and I have a better light control with the sheet. I let them incubate for about 2-5 days but the more growth you see the better, this of this as making one GIANT cake. And the more mycelium the more mushrooms, but once resources are gone it’s over.

FRUITING CHAMBER

I use some pretty big plastic tubs from any store I made sure they are transparent just because mushrooms do need some light to grow, I have found that when having them grow in dark I could control how big they got better just by feeding them o2, but when grow in somewhat light I had nicer flushes and my straight mushrooms, easier to handle and I make sure mine get some light. I have 8 holes cut in one of mine you can see in the picture, this chamber seems to do a lot better, maybe because it always has a balance of O2, I am somewhat lazy so I do tend to forget about to air them out. But I try to do it twice a day, with a good mist on the side of the walls, trying to avoiding getting drops of water settling on my castings. Pooled water or being to dry and affect your pin set and sometimes bring in contaminants. Within the holes I have the inside of a pillow scrunched up pretty tight to keep bugs out like ants if you have ants in your house. It’s a high fiber pillow filler you can get at a craft store.
Right now I’m making my castings as big as the fruiting chamber, hoping I don’t get a contaminated, I was going to pick up some big straws from a party store and cut them in half and put about 8 of them spread out in my castings. If you stick a straw into your cake and keep the straw filled with water it’s a good way to keep humidity up and keep your casting hydrated in-between dunks.

previous clean cakes as they grow within their pan, with pearl light undernieght them!

previous clean cakes as they grow within their pan, with pearl light undernieght them!

But I also have made smaller casting within metal trays and I put pearl light under the trays and put some hydrogen peroxide in it to keep contaminates down.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefigurine
Cat Tamer
Male

Re: MY SET UP__FEEDBACK? [Re: DOWNTOFRY]
    #8175423 - 03/21/08 10:47 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

I'd suggest discarding contaminated cakes. You don't want to contaminate your house with mold and possibly ruin future grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds