Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Obama is a racist!
    #8172086 - 03/20/08 02:13 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

‘Racial obsessions’: Obama memoir details his tortuous personal journey

Mar 20, 2008 3:00 AM (13 hrs ago) by Bill Sammon, The Examiner

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - When Barack Obama interviewed for a job in 1985, he found himself instinctively distrustful of the man who would become his employer — in part because of the man’s skin color.

“There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama recalled in his memoir, “Dreams From My Father.” “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

Obama’s self-described “racial obsessions” have been largely overlooked in the Democratic primary campaign, but they figure to get closer examination after his wide-ranging speech on race relations Tuesday.

Descended from a white mother and black father, “I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites,” he wrote in “Dreams From My Father,” which was published in 1995, a decade before he started plotting his presidential quest.

“One of those tricks I had learned: People were satisfied so long as you were courteous and smiled and made no sudden moves. They were more than satisfied; they were relieved — such a pleasant surprise to find a well-mannered young black man who didn’t seem angry all the time.”

Obama wrote that in high school, he and a black friend would speak disparagingly “about white folks this or white folks that, and I would suddenly remember my mother’s smile, and the words that I spoke would seem awkward and false.” He concluded that “certain whites could be excluded from the general category of our distrust.”

Nonetheless, Obama went on to describe the white race as “that ghostly figure that haunted black dreams.”

“That hate hadn’t gone away,” he lamented, blaming “white people — some cruel, some ignorant, sometimes a single face, sometimes just a faceless image of a system claiming power over our lives.” Although Obama disapproved of what he called fellow “half-breeds” who gravitated toward whites instead of blacks, he once fell in love with a white woman whom he dated for a year. But he eventually concluded that the relationship was doomed by their racial differences.

“I pushed her away,” Obama recalled. “The emotion between the races could never be pure.”

Obama was drawn to the rhetoric of black nationalists such as Malcolm X of the Nation of Islam and Stokely Carmichael of the Black Panthers. Although he now criticizes his longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, a black nationalist who rants against white America, Obama wrote in “Dreams” that he sympathized with African-Americans who viewed blacks as morally superior to whites.

“In talking to self-professed nationalists,” Obama wrote, “I came to see how the blanket indictment of everything white served a central function in their message of uplift.”

Obama’s writings suggest he has long understood why figures such as Wright — who once exhorted his flock, “God damn America!” — rely on incendiary rhetoric.

“Black politicians,” Obama wrote, “discovered what white politicians had known for a very long time: That race-baiting could make up for a host of limitations.”

bsammon@dcexaminer.com

http://www.examiner.com/a-1289705~_Racial_obsessions___Obama_memoir_details_his_tortuous_personal_journey.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: Luddite]
    #8172111 - 03/20/08 02:18 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

T. Dugan says:
This page continually refers to Obama as Black...

It appears that 50% Black makes you Black but 50% White does not make you White.

This reminds me of the old south where a person could be considered "Negro" if they were some small portion, say 1/16th and, as such, be "legitimately" enslaved.

(See Mark Twain's book, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson, "To all intents and purposes Roxy was as white as anybody, but the one sixteenth of her which was black outvoted the other fifteen parts and made her a Negro. She was a slave, and salable as such. Her child was
thirty-one parts white, and he, too, was a slave, and by a fiction of law and custom a Negro.")

http://www.amazon.com/Barack-Obama-called-mother-White/forum/Fx2207HCB9BUSVL/TxXXIYSR64IBB2/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_tft_tp/102-9777423-0272969?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=1400082773&store=books

OfflineHeadTrip420
PoolShark
Male

Loc: Raleigh NC
    #8172349 - 03/20/08 03:23 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

so much for this shmuck

--------------------
hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: HeadTrip420]
    #8172389 - 03/20/08 03:36 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Way to read an article that takes the majority of those comments out of context and treat it like the gospel. :rolleyes:

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: dill705]
    #8172417 - 03/20/08 03:43 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

If Obama talks like a bigot and has a racist bigot for a mentor then Obama is a racist bigot.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8172438 - 03/20/08 03:48 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

If Obama is misquoted and taken out of context to be a bigot and you all are willing to just accept lies and falsehoods, then you're retarded.

Learn to think for yourselves. Most people know that any hard right or left leaning sources are untrustworthy, yet so much faith is put in them when they agree with your unsubstantiated claims.

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8172458 - 03/20/08 03:53 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

facutul quotes just from this week.....

"I can no more disown [Rev. Wright] than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe."

"My Grandmother is a ‘Typical White Person’ Who Fears People She Doesn’t Know."

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8172494 - 03/20/08 04:04 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

We're taught to fear strangers. "Don't talk to strangers little Johnny, they might kidnap you and mommy and daddy would be very sad."

You fail to respond to the assertation that he may have choosen the wrong words and that he doesn't neccessarily believe EXACTLY what he said.

If you guys can say McCain can do it, then so can B-Rock.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8172526 - 03/20/08 04:14 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

"ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe" Barack Obama

"Typical white people" Barack Obama

how ironic

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8173656 - 03/20/08 08:59 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Luddite said:

“There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama recalled in his memoir, “Dreams From My Father.” “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

just a Typical white person....

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8173718 - 03/20/08 09:21 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Obama isn't the kind of writer to use the phrase, "And white."

I get the feeling this is cut off and/or taken out of context.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8173731 - 03/20/08 09:25 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

I don't have the book "Dreams From My Father.” to prove it, so I'll give you that one.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

#8173757 - 03/20/08 09:38 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Thank you. That's mighty white of you...

I wonder if that has racial conotations?

But for real, I think we are both aware that he has more sense and ability than to say something as shrewd as that.

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
    #8175305 - 03/21/08 10:04 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

And the race-baiting begins...

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: Yossarian22]
    #8175333 - 03/21/08 10:17 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/19/22 01:12 AM)

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: AnonymousRabbit]
    #8175355 - 03/21/08 10:22 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

"But she is a typical white person who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, there's a reaction that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away, and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society.""

so is a "Typical white person" "inbred" with a fear of Blackman?

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineAnonymousRabbit
Comrade
 User Gallery

. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8175375 - 03/21/08 10:28 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

--------------------

Edited by AnonymousRabbit (05/18/22 03:27 PM)

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
    #8175386 - 03/21/08 10:31 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
"But she is a typical white person who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, there's a reaction that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away, and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society.""

so is a "Typical white person" "inbred" with a fear of Blackman?

You've purposefully twisted the quote around before and you still haven't answered my correction, so I'll post it again. Here it is:

Quote:

No, a typical white person, like a typical black or whatever person, harbors to some extent racial stereotypes. I'm sure you won't find a single black person who disagrees with that statement nor is it exactly novel. Racism is not something which you either "have" or don't "have", a racist being a rabid, foaming at the mouth redneck who likes lynching black people; things are more complicated than that. This is why his speech was such a risky gamble for Obama: it requires a certain sophistication and readiness to confront racial divisions and issues, and I'm not sure this country's ready for that. We've repeated the narrative that, sure, things were fucked up back in the "old days" but then MLK and the Civil Rights Movement came, and then all was fixed and racism was forever vanquished. Of course it's bullshit and things are not gonna get better when we repeat this downright dishonest and weaselly lie.

You're spreading disinformation here- I certainly hope at least that you're intelligent enough to understand that your summary of his statement is little more than a straw man. Can't you argue for your own candidate without lying and twisting the words of your opponent?

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Re: Obama is a racist! [Re: Yossarian22]
    #8176169 - 03/21/08 02:38 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

No he can't. I've never seen him or zappa talk straight policy for the two weeks I've been browsing this forum.

I think they know that their only chance is to make Obama look like a radical muslim, crime loving, racist black insincere asshole. :nonono:

--------------------

-Icelander-

~dill705~

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#8176236 - 03/21/08 02:57 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

I'm just a "Typical White Person"

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (03/21/08 02:58 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates