Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: virgina Flag
flys in my martha, open to suggestions
    #8170461 - 03/20/08 05:00 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

im using a few martha closets for my bulk grow set up. a couple of months ago these tinny flys showed up. i now have fly paper in the green house, and in the closet that the green house is in, but that only works on flys that actually fly. every casing (each closet holds 24 12 cup casing bowels) i have is crawling with flys that are too stoned to fly.
im sure that this is not all that unusual of a condition, and i was hoping that some one out there has had to deal with this before. how can i get rid of the flys without hurting the shrooms???

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: trentallica]
    #8170578 - 03/20/08 06:53 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Thats about all you can do is use the sticky traps...
You could take all your stuff out of the martha and clean the inside

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: jccc]
    #8171363 - 03/20/08 11:10 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

i would have to clean, and toss out all the casings i have going, because they all are loaded with stoned little flys. is there some kind of hippy spray, or electronic something or other????

--------------------

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: trentallica]
    #8171598 - 03/20/08 11:56 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

I got flys in mine too. I just tried to swipe them out in mid flight.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #8171644 - 03/20/08 12:07 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

use a bug spray. It will be fine. Once you get flys the only way to truely completely get rid of them is to remove everything and start over in a month.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: tahoe]
    #8171927 - 03/20/08 01:27 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

- Put fly traps near the edge of the casings
- Trays/glasses of wine/cider/beer they like one of the offerings and drown in it
- A hoover is good fun, mind your casings
- know your enemy...
http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/bulletins/uc/uc-028.html
http://www.pestproducts.com/fungusgnat.htm

But ultimately, they don't eat that much!

--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: flys in my martha, open to suggestions [Re: shaggydogman]
    #8171938 - 03/20/08 01:31 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Check this out

Get youself a pet, some of these!!!
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/fungus-gnat-predator.html

That would be pure entertainment!!!

--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

OfflineFamiliar Gnome
Bemushroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shpongleland
Hippie remedy? [Re: trentallica]
    #8172128 - 03/20/08 02:23 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Hippie remedy you ask? Try putting a shot-glass of beer on each shelf of your Martha. You should be able to empty out a glass full of drowned flies every day. Seems to work in house plants, as well as my out-door graden. I've never tried in a Martha and frankly, do not know if mushroom flies like beer... but it is worth a try.

Please keep me posted.

--------------------
================
An Oddly Familiar Gnome
Shpongleland

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: Familiar Gnome]
    #8172491 - 03/20/08 04:02 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

They are fungus gnats I believe. They will eat your mycelium, not sure about fruits but I would imagine those as well.

Only the adults fly, directly below the surface of your substrate will be a lot (hundreds or more) maggots/larvae. Those are what do the most damage and won't be caught by your traps.

You have 2 options:

1) Scratch it up to a loss and toss everything, disinfect, and start over.

2) Drastically reduce your humidity by turning off your humidifiers and opening the doors/flaps. Use an insecticide to kill off the larvae, the only options that I have seen as safe for use on substrates are: Gnatrol® (a bacterial product formulated to kill fungus gnats in mushroom substrates), pyrethrin (comes from the petals of a flower and is organic), and permethrin (synthetic chemical that is supposedly safe on substrates).

You have to lower the humidity in order to slow down their breeding. It may harm your grow but it will save it. You also need something to kill off the larvae. From what I read Gnatrol seems to be the best option. You may be able to find it at a hardware store but any hydroponics shop should have it for sure.

Offlinemadsick
whoremonger
 User Gallery

Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: Smushroom]
    #8172554 - 03/20/08 04:24 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

venus fly traps?

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: madsick]
    #8173250 - 03/20/08 07:23 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

The flies are not the problem. You can catch as many of them as you want. It is the larvae that are eating his mycelium. As long as atleast 1 female survives each birth to lay more eggs he is screwed.

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger
    #8173455 - 03/20/08 08:14 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

$5 for 10 fly strips are very handy to have around. Hang those around your greenhouse where they enter and leave. A few in it too. Cut a few piece off and hang some off your casing tubs.

Also you can use a vacuum. Works like a charm, turn it on and watch em try to fly away as they get sucked up in a vortex pattern.

Bug zappers are always handy to have to. Bugs are attracted to the blue light. Moths, gnats, flies especially. The Hand held racket/tennis racket also work.

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: dumbfounded1600]
    #8174210 - 03/20/08 11:11 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

wow. thanks all for the advice. im going to try at leat 3 of these sugestions by the end of the day.

--------------------

Offlineultralight
fury 762 where are you?

Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: trentallica]
    #8174371 - 03/20/08 11:41 PM (16 years, 11 days ago)

You might like this

Good luck...

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: ultralight]
    #8174811 - 03/21/08 02:04 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Scrap a little bit of your casing layer off a section of one of them where the gnats are sitting. Shouldn't be too hard to find the maggots underneath. Will confirm you have an infestation of fungus gnats before going to too many lengths to get rid of them.

Offlineresptodd
I reject yourreality andsubstitute myown
Male User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #8174982 - 03/21/08 06:51 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

Check it out. When I lived in Texas, we would hit the cow fields and pick cube's off the cow pies after a warm rain. My buddie got the grand idea to gather up a few cow pies, bring them home and put them under a warm shower. We got drunk that night. Went into the bathroom noon the next day, and a massive cloud of tiny black flies swarmed out of the bathroom, the walls, ceiling, everything was covered with those damn flies, it was like something out of a horror movie. And no 'shooms.------I hate flies as much as monkeys----

--------------------
Damn! I'm having fun! Just keep the GD monkeys away.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: resptodd]
    #8175435 - 03/21/08 10:51 AM (16 years, 11 days ago)

what works good is the following:

take a glass, add about two teaspoons of vinegar and a squirt of liquid soap and fill it with water.
the vinegar attracts the flies, they land on it and because of the liquid soap they cannot
land on the liquid and drown and die.

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: ohmatic]
    #8200283 - 03/27/08 07:42 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Use “A-Room-ah” Therapy.

This idea came from a Member. If I could find the post I would give props where due. Sorry Neighbor.

Anyway, this member discovered that burning Nag Champa incense drove away adult gnats. I had some India Temple on hand. Worked a charm.

I have since found that higher quality incense sticks can keep an infestation from starting. I put a stick or two in each pearlite fruiting box. The plant oils keep bugs at bay. They are good for a week or two before becoming too water logged to stink pretty. Dry them back out and they still burn nice.

I suspect their useful life might be shortened in the active humidification environs of a Martha.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: JaComet]
    #8200518 - 03/27/08 09:14 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

JaComet said:
Anyway, this member discovered that burning Nag Champa incense drove away adult gnats. I had some India Temple on hand. Worked a charm.

Hmm sort of like the way hippies wear patchouli to keep the clean folk away from them.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisiblesmokedout420
The EnlightenedOne
Male User Gallery

Re: Hippie remedy? [Re: tahoe]
    #8200687 - 03/27/08 09:58 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

monster mitch uses Food grade ditomaceous earth

http://wolfcreekranch.net/diatomaceous_earth.html
but this is for if you have to start over.

Quote:

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH CODEX FOOD/CHEMICAL GRADE (Amorphous Silica) - Diatomaceous earth is excellent for internal and external parasite control. The mineral and silica content seems to increase feed utilization. Reported to kill 75% of flies and fleas that come in contact with it within 72 hrs. Mixed with grains at a ratio of 2% keeps out pests. Diatomaceous earth is excellent for eliminating ants, aphids, flea beetles, fleas, earwigs, sowbugs, mites, etc. We use it diluted in water and painted on tree trunks to keep ants off our fruit trees. Can be applied as a foliar spray or sprayed in buildings or just lightly sprinkled in pest infested areas or compost/manure piles. Great for internal worming purposes for humans and animals. Helps detox heavy metals. Diatomaceous earth is a drying agent, and thus reduces odor and moisture in barns and stalls. Fed to animals daily, it keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, noticebly reducing the fly population. Added to livestock waterers, it keeps the algae from growing in the hot summer months.

We have free fed DE to all livestock (goats, llamas, chickens, peafowl, guineas) for 9 years. We also put diatomaceous earth in our home made grain herb mixes that are fed daily. Most of our canines will eat DE free choice as well.

Overly toxic persons might experience a "healing crisis", as their system is detoxing too quickly, so it is suggested to start with a small dose and work up to the heaping tablespoon over a period of a few days or weeks, to help avoid this situation.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck