Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
keeping things cool with a mini fridge
    #816803 - 08/14/02 05:11 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Anybody got any ideas on converting one of those mini friges into a cool air exchange system.

I have a problem with heat in my fruiting area getting as high as 80 F at times.

All I would need to do is drop the temp maybe 6 degrees with the use of the fridge some hoses and a couple of 4 in. fans.

Maybe someone has already tried this and has a better idea on how it is going to work.

--------------------
Blaze

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKilla420
Alien Lover
Male User Gallery
Loc: Down South
Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: blazenaz]
    #816825 - 08/14/02 05:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

My area stays about 80 all day untill night comes and everything still works fine. As long as its not always 80 degrees, then I dont see what would be the problem.

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: Killa420]
    #816828 - 08/14/02 05:38 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wouldn't it be better to have a consistantly cooler temp. Seems to me that you would have better results with temps around 73 - 75 F

--------------------
Blaze

Offlinedracon
journeyman

#816908 - 08/14/02 06:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yes those colder temps would help, but if its only getting to 80 during the peak, if the temp falls at night you should be ok, it might be a little harder to get them to pin, I would cold shock in your situation, mushrooms accually like to grow at slightly higher temperatures then what is required for pinning, you could rig something up with your minifridge, i love to make shit like that, all thougt this is very impractical heres my thoughts.. get pvc piping cut 2 holes on oppisate sides, 1", glue piping in, on one side you have to buy some different size piping and fit in a computer fan, rig up to one of those volt adapters and plug in, run it on low voltage so its not pumping much air, the other pipe fit with a flexible hose and run into your area, note you would have to some how seal off your area, I wouldn't think it could cool much more then a closet, I think for the same cost you could get a used airconditoner

--------------------
Support NORML

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: dracon]
    #816951 - 08/14/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah the A/C unit seems to be a better deal, only thing is it would have to hang outside the window which being in the front yard is not the best thing. A new fridge is $70 plus about $40 in tubing, fan & filter the new A/C unit is $150 plus about $75 in duct adapters. The closet is where the setup is located so it wouldn't have to cool more then that. hmmmm.

--------------------
Blaze

Offlinedracon
journeyman

#816961 - 08/14/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I can tell you want to build it, if you want to spend the money, go for it, i'm sure it will be fun, and it will be easy to tell if it works, making contraptions with your humidity is more tricky and can be more deadly, just remember to clean that fridge out good. lol no old pizza..

--------------------
Support NORML

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: dracon]
    #817013 - 08/14/02 07:07 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Is it that easy to tell? In my mind I have almost all of the design worked out. I just wonder how the little fridge will handle the extra load.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #817054 - 08/14/02 07:29 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You could try leaving a water resoivoir in your fridge and pumping the liquid via a small fountain pump through some plastic tubing set in the bottom of your terrarium radiator-style. You'd have to monitor the temps closely, though. Could get colder than you want this way.

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: FanaTEK]
    #817063 - 08/14/02 07:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

There you go, thats a good idea. I wonder if cool air directly would be harder to maintain the temp then cool water through tubing creating cool air.

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #817144 - 08/14/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well, water tends to hold its temperature better than just regular moving air - that's the theory behind the radiator in your car. The water coming out of your fridge and circulating around the bottom of your terrarium will definitely be much cooler than the substrate, and the constant flowing basically allows the water to carry off excess heat with it.

Condensation might be a problem. I don't really know, since I've never tried it (though I've considered it a few times).

Let us know how it goes if you give it a try!

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Re: keeping things cool with a mini fridge [Re: FanaTEK]
    #817181 - 08/14/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think I will try to set it up this weekend and I am hoping since I have 5 fruiting containers that maybe the temp will regulate itself amongst them all and not get to cold.

--------------------
Blaze

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds