Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania

Active Beer
    #8162565 - 03/18/08 02:55 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Does anyone see it possible to add active mushrooms to the beer brewing process, in order to make active beer... kind of like honey. Any input would be appreciated, sorry If this is the wrong froum.

KnotaClu

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Active Beer [Re: knotaclu]
    #8162571 - 03/18/08 02:56 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Sounds like a beer I would love to drink.
A nice stove pipe porter infused with cubies.
Hell ya.

Offlinedirtworshipper
Sitting in the heart cave
Male User Gallery

Loc: at The Guru's lotus feet
Re: Active Beer [Re: creekfreek]
    #8162641 - 03/18/08 03:15 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Perhaps, if the alcohol content is strong enough it would be possible.
I'm not entirely sure how much that typically is in beer.
You'd probably need lots and lots of mushrooms.
I've heard of people using Everclear and other high grain alcohols, but never beer.

--------------------

“You've got as many lives as you like, and more, even ones you don't want.” - George Harrison

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Active Beer [Re: dirtworshipper]
    #8162662 - 03/18/08 03:19 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Beer is about 4% on average? I'd suggest at least using wine, which is usually 13%. But personally, I'd use Cognac, high content, and goes down smooth. Mmmm :drool2:

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Active Beer [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #8165013 - 03/19/08 12:13 AM (16 years, 14 days ago)

So brew a beer with a higher alcohol content and give that a try.
It might work.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Active Beer [Re: creekfreek]
    #8165257 - 03/19/08 01:42 AM (16 years, 14 days ago)

I would add actives after brewing. Psilocin isn't going to last long enough (rapidly oxidized) and psilocybin is only sparingly soluble in aqueous ethanol, especially at those low concentrations.

-FF

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Active Beer [Re: fastfred]
    #8165503 - 03/19/08 05:47 AM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Its possible but myc might starting grow there :O anyway maybe dried mushies powder :laugh:

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Offlinesixletterscurvy
User of Search Engine
Male User Gallery

Re: Active Beer [Re: dstark]
    #8165696 - 03/19/08 08:38 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

What part of the process are you wishing to add it to? Like are you talking about a home brew kit for brew-it-yourselfers or something like that? If you add in ground mushrooms when you mix your barley or hops or whatever your using, i believe it would kill most if not all of the psychedelic alkaloids during the heating process of the brew. If you brew it first and just mix it in, sorta like mushroom tea, i dont see any reason why THAT couldnt work, but that's not technically "brewing" the mushrooms in, its just mixing mushrooms with beer. And that does work, i've tried it with with 2-11's which are 8.5% alcohol.

--------------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
-HST

Offlinerungi
journeymana

Re: Active Beer [Re: sixletterscurvy]
    #8171305 - 03/20/08 10:55 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Instead of dry hopping use dried mushrooms they will add a flavor to the beer however.

Offlinecyberthreat
Stranger

Re: Active Beer [Re: rungi]
    #8171447 - 03/20/08 11:27 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

if your going to make a magical drink i would use a nice 180$ bottle of the 20 year old single malt scotch

OfflineFamiliar Gnome
Bemushroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shpongleland
Re: Active Beer [Re: cyberthreat]
    #8173316 - 03/20/08 07:37 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

Whatever the point in which you add your mushrooms; they will need to be pasteurized before contact with the beer. Standard pasteurization practice would probably adversely effect potency.

I second the Scotch idea... yup, damn fine idea!

You could actually add your shrooms to a Scotch and let them macerate for a few days to a week. Psilocybin and Psilocin being alcohol soluable, you could then add this (now pasteurized) "blue juice" to your not-yet carbonated beer... a little like fortified wine / Port. Scotch whisky is essentially beer with a lot of the water removed anyhow, so its not like you would be introducing anything too strange.

However; depending on the alcohol level of your fortified beer, you may have problems carbonating in the bottle. You may have to upgrade to Champagne yeast, which can withstand 12% alc/vol and has been known to go as high as 15%. Or you can keg.

Have fun!

--------------------
================
An Oddly Familiar Gnome
Shpongleland

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
Re: Active Beer [Re: knotaclu]
    #8174503 - 03/21/08 12:16 AM (16 years, 12 days ago)

I brew my own beer wine and even will admit to distilling an ocassional gallon or so of straight moonshine, matter of fact I am filtering some apple and pineapple wine as I type this.... it has been a hobby for years. Since shrooms can be lightly steeped and chewed etc to release the majority of the active ingredients I would add some during the end process when you add the last bit of Hops for flavor so they get heated up a little but not much more than 100 degrees and then they will stay in there for 10 days steeping while the wort ferments then you would siphon and bottle which I actually do at about 5% alc and then leave on the bottles for another 10 days with a little bit of yeast at the bottom so it naturally carbonates and ends up at about 6% alc, so I dont know if any of this would destroy the shrooms potency or not, I would definately use fresh shrooms so it is easier to extract everything and I would chop them a little and then see what happens. I dont know how worth it it would be.... but I am the type to try anything and that does sound interesting to me.....this does sound cool very much so if I only had the amount to do it, I brew 5 gallons at a time to make it worth it ...which is about 54 beers.... so thats that many doses or maybe a couple extra since you might lose a little that you would need to "donate" to an experiment for beer.?? If I had that much to spare I would try it in a light beer with a heavy hop flavor... to make it at least taste good and I would likely also leave a little extra unfermented sugars like honey or Maple syrup just for a different flavor and to cover up any unknown side tastes we couldnt guess would be there....sorry to ramble about brewing but many similar things from sterility to the whole DIY thing is also shared in the art....as it is in cultivating it is something you can do in many different ways for different outcomes.

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

Edited by misterdogman (03/21/08 12:18 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds