Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshoeareyou
Stranger

Water on the AGAR... colonies wash away
    #8161784 - 03/18/08 11:09 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

Hi there, Day 2 of incubation and im a little concerned that my dextrose agar slopes petri dishes have too much water on the surface. the agar was preforumulated but im pretty sure its condensation or spore solution. Colonization has begun, tiny colonies are present but when i moved one of the slopes they washed off. should this be a problem, or what?

Im after isolation of rhizomorphic strains, so how is this possible when all of the colonies are sloshing about?

(Or, in this case, do you think it was more likely to be a bacterial colony, since it w

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: Water on the AGAR... colonies wash away [Re: shoeareyou]
    #8161802 - 03/18/08 11:14 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

you deffinitely shouldn't have ANYTHING sloshing in your agar...

sounds alot like you have trich to me
if after day 2, you have a bunch of little tiny colonies......

that's not good.

--------------------

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Re: Water on the AGAR... colonies wash away [Re: anarchOi]
    #8161856 - 03/18/08 11:27 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

You should not have any condensation in your agar. Are you HEATING them or something?

are you for sure its myc growing and not something else? you used to much solution if you have enough to 'slosh' around and the growth moves about.

HEAT will cause your medium to seperate, and you'll see water.

Please post up some pics, it will help if you really need it.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Offlineshoeareyou
Stranger

Re: Water on the AGAR... colonies wash away [Re: Civ]
    #8162411 - 03/18/08 02:04 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

nope, im not doing anything crazy like heating them. (Except incubation at 79F - 80F [27.2*C])

these were dextrose agar slopes which I purchased from an online vendor (applied microscience) prepoured and presterilized. I only opened them once inside my glovebox, and sprayed with bleach. I also flamed the opening, aswell as the spore syringe, etc.

sterile as much as possible.

P.S It isn't REALLY day 2, its actually more like day 4 - but Im calling it day 2 since I accidentally left the incubator turned off (tripped over the cable and pulled the incubator plug out in the mad rush to get a soundsystem organised at the weekend.) then, no incubation while partying.

I was quite dissapointed when I got home.

Its definately not trych, the colonies are very very light yellow/white spots, about < 1mm in diameter, round.

Bacteria? I've never seen mycelium at such infantile stages before, so I don't know.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: Water on the AGAR... colonies wash away [Re: shoeareyou]
    #8162528 - 03/18/08 02:43 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

sounds exactly like immature trich to me

wanna bet on the green? :-P

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals