Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSomeScienceStuff
Mycologist
Male

Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok?
    #8155182 - 03/16/08 09:30 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

I pc my 1/2 pint brf jars for 30 mins at 15psi. but i totally forgot to put some micro pore tape on my gas exchange holes. I inoculated them 3 days ago and i just put tape on them. they have been on a high shelf in my closet.
I was just wondering if you guys think they will be ok, or if i really screwed myself getting hasty and not having tape on them for a few days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleim_on_a_boat
Stranger

Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: SomeScienceStuff]
    #8155189 - 03/16/08 09:31 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

ya i never use tape..

that's what the dry verm layer is for.

OfflineSomeScienceStuff
Mycologist
Male

Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8155209 - 03/16/08 09:36 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Whew. Thanks Man, i was getting my self worried about that. I just inoculated 20 jars too lol. I was scared they would all get contams. Hopefully they colonize soon, i have my new storage area for them at 82deg F. And they are on a table about 3 feet above the ground in my basement. I heard that you shouldn't keep them on the ground because of all the contams that are down there.

--------------------
"You need to stop preaching and start doing, stop lecturing and start experiencing, stop whining and start contributing. Otherwise everyone else will realize what I have come to realize... the simple fact that you are a fraud." shroober

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: im_on_a_boat]
    #8155211 - 03/16/08 09:36 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

drkrobotnik said:
ya i never use tape..

that's what the dry verm layer is for.

In RR and Roadkills movie, "Lets Grow Mushrooms", They use both a dry verm layer AND micropore tape on the jars.

If you have the dry verm layer you could be ok but its good that you did add the tape when you remembered.

OfflineMetatron21
Cosmonaut

Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: creekfreek]
    #8155263 - 03/16/08 09:46 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

I actually did the exact same thing. (I just used masking tape)

Then later I read that gas exchange is important, so I loosened the lids (a week after innoc.) and popped it open for a minute on each of my jars (didn't get contams in ANY!)  Not sure if it helped the mycelium colonize faster, but regardless it didn't do any harm it seems, I'm fruiting right on schedule!:cool:

--------------------

Edited by Metatron21 (03/16/08 09:47 PM)

OfflineSomeScienceStuff
Mycologist
Male

Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: Metatron21]
    #8155351 - 03/16/08 10:01 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Well Sweet, it looks like i am on the right path. They seemed to be colonizing fine i took a look at them this morning and little fuzzys are popping up in the jar.

O one other quick question,
In my basement whats the lowest i can bring the jars down, because they are on a standard table with a little area heater right next to the table, but if i can i want to move the jars down to a smaller table so i can keep the heat up closer to 85. I have just heard that contams have a tendency to rest on the floor because of gravity and what not.

--------------------
"You need to stop preaching and start doing, stop lecturing and start experiencing, stop whining and start contributing. Otherwise everyone else will realize what I have come to realize... the simple fact that you are a fraud." shroober

Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: Metatron21]
    #8155407 - 03/16/08 10:13 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

blz3432
Quote:

I was always under the impression the micropore tape on PF jars was just to help prevent water that gets under the foil from going down the holes during pressure cooking. Assuming you have a dry vermiculite layer it's probably better to remove the tape and allow better gas exchange.

I never tape the holes until after I inoculate the jars. I do this for two reasons. I want to do everything I can to avoid contaminations or at least eliminate reasons for contamination. Second I want to slow down moisture loss through the inoculation holes.

I don't imagine waiting a couple days to put tape on the jars is going to be that big of a deal. I'm more concerned about only pressure cooking your cakes for 30 minutes. I always go an hour.

Invisiblecreekfreek
Certified phunologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right about here
Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: SomeScienceStuff]
    #8155422 - 03/16/08 10:16 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

SomeScienceStuff said:
Well Sweet, it looks like i am on the right path. They seemed to be colonizing fine i took a look at them this morning and little fuzzys are popping up in the jar.

O one other quick question,
In my basement whats the lowest i can bring the jars down, because they are on a standard table with a little area heater right next to the table, but if i can i want to move the jars down to a smaller table so i can keep the heat up closer to 85. I have just heard that contams have a tendency to rest on the floor because of gravity and what not.

You dont want 85.
Maybe this will help http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7864335#7864335 pay attention to what RR has to say on the subject.

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger
    #8155671 - 03/16/08 11:13 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

That's what the dry vermiculite barrier is for. TO keep it from getting contaminants. Micro Pore tape shouldn't hurt. I like to use it because it releases sufficient gas exchange and keeps some of the moisture in.

Offlinechucklehead
GeneticThrowback toNeanderthal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chucky Cheese
    #8155680 - 03/16/08 11:17 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

I used to grow all my jars in a TIT tote on the floor in my basement.  It was usually around 68F in the TIT.  The jars were slow but they worked out fine.  Now I keep them at around 75F.  That works too.  Just a lot faster.  It takes about half the time it did before to get to 100%.

I wouldn't put a fan on the jars.  You're just blowing more particles on them.  Also you may be drying them out a little too.  I'd just stick them in a box or something and place the box on a top shelf of a closet or a cabinet.  Check on them in a week.  I said box because I've had problems with slightly tilted shelves due to sucky carpentry.  So jars don't like to stay on the shelves if I start shuffling them around to check on them.  So the box just keeps them from falling on your head. 

:goodluck:

OfflineSomeScienceStuff
Mycologist
Male

Re: Forgot to Tape Jars.. Will My jars be ok? [Re: chucklehead]
    #8157004 - 03/17/08 11:47 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Thanks All for the Replies! :laugh:
Very Helpfull, i have messed with my area heater and i have gotten my temp to 79 and now all i have left to do is play the waiting game!

Thanks again

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract