Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTaharka
The Root of the Problem
Folding@home Statistics
Kratom Tree in the Ground
    #8154632 - 03/16/08 07:13 PM (16 years, 16 days ago)

It's springtime in South Carolina.
So I've got this Kratom tree. I'll have had it for four years this October. It's getting increasingly difficult to bring it inside every winter. So, since I have many to replace it, I've decided to plant it in the ground in a sheltered corner of the yard. I had to plant it somewhere shady, because it burns very easily in the intense SC summer sun. I don't expect it to survive the winter unprotected, but I do plan to build a greenhouse right on top of it at that very location. If that fails, maybe I'll be able to dig it up to overwinter again. I'll definately take lots more cuttings.

Below is a picture of it from Summer '06. Last summer, it was bare and I thought I'd lost it, after a very late frost killed off almost all of the tropicals I had put outside. I'm so happy to see that it made it, and I'll update regularly with pictures when it starts growing again.

I've seen pictures of people in Florida who've grown their Mitragyna outside, and those got pretty large and even flowered. Then again, they were able to leave them in the ground for the winter.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: Taharka]
    #8154703 - 03/16/08 07:36 PM (16 years, 16 days ago)

beauty

--------------------

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: Coaster]
    #8155868 - 03/17/08 12:24 AM (16 years, 15 days ago)

Awesome, thanks for sharing :smile:

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor

#8156766 - 03/17/08 10:44 AM (16 years, 15 days ago)

4 years? its kind of small for four years. mine was twice that size in 2 seasons.

InvisibleTaharka
The Root of the Problem
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: durban_poison]
    #8158830 - 03/17/08 07:27 PM (16 years, 15 days ago)

The picture is from Summer 06, received the tree in October 04. I'll update with a new picture when it puts on some leaves. The tree didn't grow at all last year. After a late frost killed its buds, it stayed dormant all summer and fall.

Offlinesublimistri
Higher Than AKite
Male User Gallery

Loc: Forgotten
    #8159075 - 03/17/08 08:23 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

It grew to that size in the pot?

--------------------
Tradelist
My Ethnobotanical Garden
Cup Greenhouse Tek. Make small sturdy pots (With detachable grenhouse tops) with cups.

Your human friend will have to dose atropine uninformed, I will not spread information that may harm a cat. - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: sublimistri]
    #8163521 - 03/18/08 06:47 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

How big of a pot have you been using? In Gallons? I only have seedlings but i'm trying to decide wether to plant some in the ground and others in pots. I live in Zone 9b-10a N. California. I'm hopeing like Trichocereus that Kratom can be grown year round outside.

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: sturmer88]
    #8164547 - 03/18/08 10:22 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

that looks like a 3 gal pot?

what pot sixe would be good enough for a good 4 ft plant? i wanna get some seeds and plant them directly into the pots then keep the healthiest

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

InvisibleTaharka
The Root of the Problem
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8164924 - 03/18/08 11:51 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

Yeah, three gallons seems about right, although it isn't marked. I imagine I could fit three 1-gallon milk jugs into it. The tree was a bit taller than three feet (above ground) when the picture was taken. It wasn't grown from the beginning in that pot; it's been repotted every year, and was badly root-wrapped each time.

I wish SC (zone 7/8) was okay for outdoor Trichocereus - or Kratom for that matter. I know is that Kratom can't tolerate freezing temps in the winter, and it will definately freeze next winter. I will either build a greenhouse or some other enclosure over it and mulch it heavily or dig it up again for indoor storage. We'll see what happens.

Edited by Taharka (03/19/08 12:35 PM)

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

#8165097 - 03/19/08 12:44 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

The pictures I've seen on the internet. People have been using the standard 7-10 gallon pots. My problem is I can't get 30 of them since that's how many seedlings I got from 1 pod. I don't have a greenhouse either so I'm, gonna have to build a humidity tent when they get to big for plastic bags.
I might end up giving some of them away to friends that can take care of them well.

But that won't be for awhile.I notice they grow really slow. I hear they take at least 2 years before they really take off in growth.

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: sturmer88]
    #8165698 - 03/19/08 08:38 AM (16 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

sturmer88 said:
But that won't be for awhile.I notice they grow really slow. I hear they take at least 2 years before they really take off in growth.

ya, isnt it that they focus on their root structure first?

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: Kratom Tree in the Ground [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8169813 - 03/19/08 11:09 PM (16 years, 12 days ago)

The seed itself seems to turn into a little sprout before it plants any roots. Or maybe the roots are to small to see.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies