Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemyclops
Stranger
stabalizing PH, straw grain oyster shell mono tub
    #8126728 - 03/10/08 08:47 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

ive been doin the mono tub thing for a while and ive done it with and without a casing layer with good results. the ones with a casing layer did produce many flushes compared to the ones without, which only really had one good flush.

i feel this is a ph issue because the tubs with no casing material did not receive the benefits of the limestone that is found in the casing mixture i use. it would save me about a week and some change if i didnt use a casing layer, but im sacrificing over all yeild.

i would like to mix crushed oyster shells with the straw to maintain a better PH over a longer period of time and hopefully produce more flushes from uncased straw/grain.

does this sound like a good idea? would regular limestone be just as good or better? Should i add the crushed limestone at the same time as when i mix the grain and straw?

it should be noted that during the straw pasurization i mix hydrated lime with the hot water.

what does everyone/anyone think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemyclops
Stranger
Re: stabalizing PH, straw grain oyster shell mono tub [Re: myclops]
    #8127244 - 03/10/08 12:10 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

hi

Offlinemyclops
Stranger
    #8127576 - 03/10/08 01:54 PM (16 years, 21 days ago)

how about the same deal but instead use eggshells? if i did that should i pasturize the egg shells with the straw?

keep the feedback comin guys!

Offlinemebesideme
o-bliminal
Male

#8127682 - 03/10/08 02:25 PM (16 years, 21 days ago)

mixing the lime into the water will cause the lime to absorb into the mix somewhat, and would change the pH some I am sure. Maybe too much? Do you do this on both cased and uncased? I would skip out on the lime and use some calcium carbonate, aka oyster shell flower. Available any one of a thousand places online.

--------------------
Doot de dooh.... yep yep yep. A signature and stuff...

Offlinemyclops
Stranger
Re: stabalizing PH, straw grain oyster shell mono tub [Re: mebesideme]
    #8137111 - 03/12/08 02:01 PM (16 years, 19 days ago)

i agree with what you siad about initially changinf the ph. i beleive the hydrated lime is used during pasturization more to incapasitate bacteria temporarily. anywho, its been working well for me, that is not what my question was anyways.

im looking for a long term buffer to mix with the straw to stabilize ph for a longer period of time.

ive decided im doin in today, im not sure how much to use though. i think ill try about a half cup and see what happens.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag