Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
First grow - how's my casing? (pics)
    #8122104 - 03/09/08 12:52 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Hello all, this is my first attempt after reading this forum for a few months... so far everything is going smoothly and Im having lots of fun!

At the moment I have some BRF cakes and one attempt at a casing - 60/40 coir/verm on top of a BRF cake (I used a cheese grater, a suggestion I saw here by Magash(?)).
The cakes are doing lovely, the PF Tek is a very easy procedure, and Im really happy with my PMP :smile:

Regarding casing, I had what I thought might be overlay, so I scooped some of the 60/40 from one part of the tray, to the part with overlay, using a clean spoon. Was that necessary? Have a look at these photos and please give me some feedback :smile:

Before I patched:

The day after I patched:

36 hours after patching, it now looks like this:

Is that an "okay" amount of mycelium or should I patch it ? (particularly the lower area)

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Heres a nice photo of one of my BRF cakes:

Growing these mushrooms has become a fun hobby for me, to the point where I forget about the end point of consuming them. :smile:

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: zouden]
    #8122222 - 03/09/08 01:52 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Lookin' good so far. Nice cakes!

What you scraped off wasn't actually overlay but just poking through mycelium.
There's no need to scrap that off, since you can easily patch the areas, so the mycelium can colonize the layer consistently.

Scraping is only advised when the overlay looks somehow "crusty".

So for the next time, try patching these areas first so no real overlay has a chance to develop!

Good luck :thumbup:

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: Fahkface]
    #8122366 - 03/09/08 03:49 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Sorry, I should have explained myself more clearly... I actually did patch, but I did it by picking up some (already-sterilised) casing substrate from an area with no visible mycelium, and dumping it on the areas that needed patching. I've seen a few people here say that they do that instead of preparing and sterilising fresh casing layer.

I suspected that my casing layer was too thick anyway, that's why I didn't have a problem with taking some.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

--------------------

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK
    #8122407 - 03/09/08 04:33 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

looks good but yeah id add a wee bit more patch .. but thats just me ... also hat looks like equadorian strain .. am i right ? if so give them lots of direct misting .. you will see some monsters if u do

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: RoYaL_fLuSh]
    #8122422 - 03/09/08 04:47 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

They're Golden Teacher (though when I bought them from a sponsor they were called "Z strain"). But regardless, do you mean I should directly mist the fruit? Even when the RH is 99%?

--------------------

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

#8122435 - 03/09/08 05:07 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

yep .. right at the stage where your cake pics are .. 1 time every 12 hours pour about 4/6 ounces of water right on the cake .. ppl are scared to do this for some reason but if you do you get something like these .. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8021733/an/0/page/2
i did the same with my larger grows but i dont reccomend it to you for anything but cakes .. check my post in the forum about the big mushie ..

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8122467 - 03/09/08 05:42 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

also hat looks like equadorian strain

Looks like ANY strain!

Quote:

if so give them lots of direct misting .. you will see some monsters if u do

Beside the water the cakes absorbs from the air, misting is more or less the only way to add more water to the cake, while it's flushing (except for that BS method to inject water with a syringe :crazy:).
Since mushrooms are mostly water, misting is always a good idea, though you should prevent standing water on your cakes, since this invites bacteria and molds.

When you have the impression, that your cakes are too dry, mist them with a fine vaporizer. Don't do it too excessively to prevent the above mentioned standing water effect!

And Royal... Royal, Royal, Royal... I've never seen someone to promote his own achievements as blushless as you do.
You clearly had some good results, but this is only cool if you act as if it was nothing spectacular :cool:

:wink:

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual

Loc: Earth
    #8122486 - 03/09/08 06:02 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

what are you doing for air exchange?

I heard that simply making two 1" inch holes on each side, and stuffing them with poly-fill works really good for air exchange.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: jokerGD]
    #8122516 - 03/09/08 06:29 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I haven't put any holes in my 44 litre tub, but I have an air curtain underneath my perlite with a 120L/min pump constantly pushing air into it (AKA the poor man's pod) - I have the lid just resting loosely on the top of the tub so that air can escape. I can hear the fresh air gushing out through the air curtain!

I've also covered the sides of my tub with black cardboard so that the mushrooms will grow upwards (the lid is clear) - my understanding is that it doesn't affect the growth other than making the fruit more photogenic :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleRoYaL_fLuSh
Stranger
Male

#8122520 - 03/09/08 06:38 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
Quote:

also hat looks like equadorian strain

Looks like ANY strain!

Quote:

if so give them lots of direct misting .. you will see some monsters if u do

Beside the water the cakes absorbs from the air, misting is more or less the only way to add more water to the cake, while it's flushing (except for that BS method to inject water with a syringe :crazy:).
Since mushrooms are mostly water, misting is always a good idea, though you should prevent standing water on your cakes, since this invites bacteria and molds.

When you have the impression, that your cakes are too dry, mist them with a fine vaporizer. Don't do it too excessively to prevent the above mentioned standing water effect!

And Royal... Royal, Royal, Royal... I've never seen someone to promote his own achievements as blushless as you do.
You clearly had some good results, but this is only cool if you act as if it was nothing spectacular :cool:

:wink:

lmao ur right .. it is getting a bit tiresome having all this success ! hahaha .. i need some good fucking mean green to bring me back to earth lol .. god forbid i get these azures to fruit soon like they look to be fixin to ..  :berternie: then theres gonna be some some noise on the old hand block about this noob

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8122571 - 03/09/08 07:15 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Azures ain't hard to fruit once you put them outside.
Nature will take over them, so it won't actually be your achievement.
Good for you, so you can't act up like this no more :tongue2:

Offlinedeadatdusk
Stranger
Male

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
    #8122574 - 03/09/08 07:19 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Casing looks good to me, but what do I know?  :shrug:

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: deadatdusk]
    #8122583 - 03/09/08 07:26 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Yep looks great! did i miss it or you didnt write the strain :P Burma?

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: First grow - how's my casing? (pics) [Re: dstark]
    #8122597 - 03/09/08 07:38 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

They're simply Ps. cubensis var Golden Teacher, they were on special from Spores101 and they seem like a good beginner's strain :smile:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning when I can take more photos and see how much my mushrooms have grown! This is so much fun!

--------------------

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8122607 - 03/09/08 07:52 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Just for the record: Every strain is a good beginner strain, since they all grow under the same grow parameters and are all able to produce potent and prolific flushes.

However, some strains, such as PE or other producers of very dense fruits, might be less desirable for beginners, since they won't produce that many fruits (because plenty of water and nutes is required by the very few but big or dense fruits), from cakes and small casings.

As far as I can recall beginners like prolific fruiters, that produce picture matching fruits.
Therefore strains, such as GT or Amazon might be more interesting for them.

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

#8122743 - 03/09/08 09:17 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
They're simply Ps. cubensis var Golden Teacher, they were on special from Spores101 and they seem like a good beginner's strain :smile:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow morning when I can take more photos and see how much my mushrooms have grown! This is so much fun!

Cant wait :P

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale