Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

looking for a good, simple shitake recipe
    #8117978 - 03/07/08 10:40 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

sorry for posting this in here mods, but i figure this will be the best forum for it considering mushroom hunters are mushroom lovers(and love to cook with them too) even if they arent hallucinogenic, and nobody ever looks in the gourmet mushroom forum anymore.
anyways, i have tried sauteing them in butter, it was ok but nothing special. i breaded and fried them in oil and it wasnt very good (i do the same thing with bellas and they turn out great). how do you guys cook your shitakes? im not talking about with pasta or fish or anything i just mean the mushroom itself.

Thanks!

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: CubensisCutter]
    #8117987 - 03/07/08 10:46 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

hrm.. I liked them sauteed in butter, but I tend to fry them in butter 'til they're crispy-ish

one thing is if you dry them slightly, then season some water and put them in it to rehydrate, they'll suck up the seasoned water (try soy sauce or teryaki diluted)

i hate them in soups. they suck up a bunch of water and lose all that great texture. I also like them raw, as they have a nutty flavor.

you could try stuffing them... but that isn't just the mushroom.

grilled may be good.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: PinheadX]
    #8118002 - 03/07/08 10:53 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

yeah i think i will marinate them in something (not sure yet, still searching google)...and possibly toss with olive oil/salt pepper/ and garlic and then roast in my oven, i might try grilling them.
im thinking if i bake them with that method then i might not even need to marinate them but that would be good for a grill. i appreciate the reply pinhead

--------------------

InvisibleShroomeup
Snipes
 User Gallery

#8118145 - 03/07/08 11:32 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: Shroomeup]
    #8118176 - 03/07/08 11:40 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

word bitch! phantoms like a mahfucker

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8119207 - 03/08/08 09:18 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

This is my favorite Shiitake recipe: Andrew Weil's Shiitake Terryaki

It is really easy, just double up on the recommended terryaki sauce ingredients and put it over rice.

As far as I know Shiitake mushrooms are not too commonly found in the wild, unless you are China or something. And every single market in China stocks many pounds of dried Shiitakes that were cultivated, often in 10-20 something pound bags. And they cost many more times less then the prices people see in the United States.

Offlinehooksbooks
Fun Guy
Male

Loc: Central, TX
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #8126736 - 03/10/08 08:54 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

On that note, it is a good idea to check the asian/chinese markets.  I've seen shiitake there for 2.99/lb, it is 7.99 at most retailers, and a rediculous 14.99 at whole foods but theyre oh so good there.  Heres another question? whats better to cook with, tight small fruits or large beautiful ones?  I usually sautee em in oil or butter and garlic, but I grilled some marinated in balsamic vinegar and oil w/spices, yesterday on my holey wok over a hot ass fire, came out pretty good.  Kabob baskets also work good for these delicate mushrooms :stoner:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: hooksbooks]
    #8127302 - 03/10/08 12:28 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Yeah I am not too clear on the laws for China to export their mushrooms to the U.S. I would like to know.

Of course you can find asian markets in the US that sell packaged dried Chinese mushrooms with Chinese/Manderin writing on them, obviously shipped from China.

And some of those US markets will have a dozen or so different grades or varieties of dried Shiitake from China. But I have never seen large bags of them like seen in China. Well, probably because Chinese people eat mushrooms with almost every meal, unlike most Americans. So obviously not as much of a demand.

China cultivates more mushrooms then any other country on the planet.

I can't really remember the prices and conversions, but a wild guess is that a pound of dried Shiitakes in mainland China is more like 10-20 cents US.

One time someone tried to bring me several varieties of dried Chinese mushrooms in his luggage from Hong Kong to the US. Chinese customs confiscated the packages. Eventually he just mailed me some from HK and they made it. Agaricus blazei was one of them.

Another of the packages was of little Shiitake caps-only. The caps were smaller then a dime. I tried everything to reconstitute those things but they were always too tough of a texture to eat. The larger Shiitake caps reconstitute perfectly.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: hooksbooks]
    #8127439 - 03/10/08 01:11 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

> I've seen shiitake there for 2.99/lb, it is 7.99 at most retailers, and a rediculous 14.99 at whole foods but theyre oh so good there.

The Lion Market on Tully Road in San Jose has King Oyster for $2.50 per lb, everyone else sells it for $8.99 except whole foods who sells for $12.99 / lb.

> And some of those US markets will have a dozen or so different grades or varieties of dried Shiitake from China. But I have never seen large bags of them like seen in China.

Lion Market has massive bags of dried shiitake for just a couple dollars. I hear they are really good in soup.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8127537 - 03/10/08 01:41 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I was searching for a way to purchase wild Cordyceps in the whole natural form, harvested in China. All I have found so far was a website based out of China who sells 500grams as the lowest amount to order. If I remember correctly they require a special license or something to place the order. And the photo of them looked like only the catapillers and I did not see any of the actual fruitbodies. I have yet to see a store selling wild Cordyceps from China in the US. hehe, and its probably a smart idea considering the variables of safety precautions China sometimes uses before exporting them. But I am still on the lookout for those.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #8127546 - 03/10/08 01:44 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Maybe the most popular gift they give to their family and friends during Chinese New Year are fancy packages of dried Shiitakes. And small red envelopes decorated with gold writing and money inside.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #8159178 - 03/17/08 08:45 PM (16 years, 15 days ago)

> This is my favorite Shiitake recipe: Andrew Weil's Shiitake Terryaki

This recipe has potential however a 1/4th cup of soy sauce is way too much.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #8162403 - 03/18/08 02:01 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

whole shiitakes + bavarian sourkraut + andolini & chorizo sausage add some beer and let it cook all day.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineWoombleshamba
Sasquatch Hunter
 User Gallery

Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: snoot]
    #8163573 - 03/18/08 06:58 PM (16 years, 14 days ago)

Chinatown spicy instant noodle soup + Fresh Shitake mushrooms

--------------------
Don't go opening windows if you can't handle the breeze

Invisibledanknugz81
spiralingdownward
Male

Re: looking for a good, simple shitake recipe [Re: Woombleshamba]
    #8169177 - 03/19/08 09:04 PM (16 years, 13 days ago)

marinade them in olive oil, rosemary, garlic and thyme.

roast in a HOT oven or throw em on the grill. the key to cooking mushrooms is high heat. that doesnt mean jack the burner up the high setting, just make sure the pan/oven is hot before cooking them. if not they release all their water first, and then they wont brown till the water's gone.. and you end up with soggy, overcoooked mushrooms with no flavor.

or how about steak with sherry-shittake mushroom cream sauce?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags