Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemutex
Pissing in thegene pool
 User Gallery

Loc: The spork fukulum
Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right?
    #8116781 - 03/07/08 04:37 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hi,

My gf has a nasty reaction to shrooms so I thought i'd try a ethanol extraction to see if that helps. Not to mention it just seems neat :smile:

So I got some 190 Everclear off the net (not sold in my crappy state) and read as much as I could about the process. I took 10 grams of mushrooms, ground them up, dumped them into a pint jar, filled 3/4 with Everclear, shook up and put in a dark place. That was last night at about 10pm.

I read in another thread that it should only take about 12 hours, and the extraction should be kinda dark yellowish/light brown. Its been almost 24hours, and its still looking pretty clear. Mushrooms settled on bottom, a thin layer of black liquid (water??), then clear alcohol. I've given it 3 or 4 shakes every few hours to make sure everything was distributed evenly.

How long does this usually take? Do I just need to give it more time or am I missing a step? I read some people heat  it using a double boiler and I intend to try it, but I thought it was just for burning the alcohol down so its more concentrated.

Thanks!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: mutex]
    #8116821 - 03/07/08 04:46 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

You can do 3 double-boiler heat extractions on the same material... but you will lose potency.

For a "cold" extraction 3 weeks is about the standard time it takes...

Cold extractions are the way to go IMO... I've had great success with it.

Don't heat everclear to reduce it down, it will evaporate VERY quickly in a baking dish with a fan on it; enough to easily reduce it to where you want within a few hours.

If she has problems from the plant material make sure you filter your final product VERY well.

The best way to filter your final extract is to run it though a filter similar to this one:

http://forums.mycotopia.net/feasts-food-drink-tea-mushroom-dosing-magic-extracts/15225-cheap-effective-filter.html

Heres some other good info about cold extractions:

http://forums.mycotopia.net/feasts-food-drink-tea-mushroom-dosing-magic-extracts/18981-cold-extraction.html

http://forums.mycotopia.net/feasts-food-drink-tea-mushroom-dosing-magic-extracts/13389-cold-extraction-soliver-also-dmso-test.html

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/134770.html?1093201399

http://forums.mycotopia.net/feasts-food-drink-tea-mushroom-dosing-magic-extracts/13389-cold-extraction-soliver-also-dmso-test.html

If you need help, lemme know. :wink:

-SDP :bigjoint:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: SDP]
    #8117092 - 03/07/08 05:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

if u were ordering from the internet, you prolly shoulda got methanol 99%, its a much better solvent than ethanol at room temp.... plus its cheaper and u dont have to go around state laws

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Offlinemutex
Pissing in thegene pool
 User Gallery

Loc: The spork fukulum
Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8123260 - 03/09/08 12:50 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Zinglons Acolyte: Ive never done any type of extraction or anything before, so I wanted to use ethanol just so I wasnt playing around with something poisonous my first time. I will try a methanol extraction once I have a bit of basement chemistry under my belt to see which I like better.

SDP: Awesome links, ive read through them all and the ones linked to in those as well. Tons of great info! I think I have everything right, I just need to wait a few weeks. I'll order some ascorbic acid for next time, seems to help a bit.

One of the threads someone mentioned filtering it down and applying it topically to the skin. I think that may work in my gf's situation really well.

Thanks for the pointers!!!

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: mutex]
    #8123323 - 03/09/08 01:21 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mutex said:
Zinglons Acolyte: Ive never done any type of extraction or anything before, so I wanted to use ethanol just so I wasnt playing around with something poisonous my first time. I will try a methanol extraction once I have a bit of basement chemistry under my belt to see which I like better.

methanol is jus another aclohol, its a much simpler structure than ethanol and goodies are more soluble in it
you work with it just like u work with ethanol, just being more careful about ventilation

the primary problem with the everclear is that its 95%, whick means that its 5% water, and itll leave a goop instead of crystals like 99% methanol or isopropyl would
plus its at least $10-20 more expensive than a liter of 99% IPA
if the toxicity is what bothers you use ipa, as its not toxic unless u drink it or flood ur room with fumes without ventillation

--------------------
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Invisible04281969
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #8123962 - 03/09/08 04:46 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So, evaporating it totally down to crystals will not effect potency?

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Everclear extraction: Am I doing this right? [Re: 04281969]
    #8125098 - 03/09/08 08:51 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

04281969 said:
So, evaporating it totally down to crystals will not effect potency?

easier to store and to get a properly measured dose with crystals

--------------------
-----

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom