Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool
    #8101829 - 03/04/08 02:21 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=7963655&nav=menu107_11_6_4

When it comes to smoking pot, trouble-prone boys are more likely to give up the habit if it isn't considered cool, but trouble-prone girls will keep toking no matter what, new research shows.

The findings will give prevention researchers more insight into how teens react to the wider world's embrace of illegal drugs, said study author Michelle Little, a postdoctoral fellow at Arizona State University. At least when it comes to the most trouble-prone boys, "our data would suggest that's not such a bad idea to do a wide, broad approach that will reduce social acceptance [of drugs] among youth," she said.

Girls, meanwhile, aren't a "lost cause," she stressed, because prevention approaches can be designed to reach them, too.

At issue are what researchers call "deviance-prone" teens -- those most likely to take major risks, avoid school and get into trouble with the law. Little and colleagues wanted to know if these teens stubbornly kept smoking pot no matter what the rest of society did, or if they were susceptible to national trends.

The researchers examined federal surveys of 44,751 white 12th-grade teens taken between 1979 and 2004. Minorities were not included because of a lack of numbers.

The findings were published in the March issue of Prevention Science.

Over the 26 years tracked by the study, marijuana use among teens varied greatly, according to other research. Recent pot use among 12th graders reached a peak of 51 percent in 1979, falling to 22 percent in 1992 and rising to 34 percent in 2004.

The researchers found that deviance-prone boys were less likely to smoke when teens as a whole cut down on pot use. In general, deviance-prone girls in general weren't touched by such trends.

"Girls who are willing to take risks and get in trouble are just as likely to be involved in marijuana use, irregardless of the prevailing prevalence," Little said.

The study doesn't speculate about whether the teens who stopped smoking pot turned to other drugs. It also doesn't examine the gender differences in how teens reacted to drug-use trends.

Steven Shoptaw, a licensed psychologist and professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, said the study relies on some of the best available statistics, but one weakness is that it looks at averages across the country. "Think of averaging wind speeds across the country to develop an average wind speed for the U.S." said Shoptaw, who studies drug use. "While the U.S. average wind speed tells you something, you don't really know what it tells you, and you certainly can't rely on the measure to understand what is happening in specific areas of the country."

As for the differences between boys and girls in terms of intractable pot use in the face of societal trends, he said they have little meaning, because boys are more likely to engage in socially deviant behaviors like pot smoking.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJeebies
Male

Loc: Transgenic corn&beans, USA Flag
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8101852 - 03/04/08 02:25 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

When it comes to smoking pot, trouble-prone boys are more likely to give up the habit if it isn't considered cool, but trouble-prone girls will keep toking no matter what, new research shows.

I read that and realized that I didn't need to read any further to understand, even though I did read the whole thing. I think reading that made me dumber, because none of it makes any sense at all.

OfflineOverclock22
Here, There andBack Again
Male

Loc: NY
    #8101854 - 03/04/08 02:25 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

my god the children :awesome:

--------------------
He did not laugh as his eyes stopped in awareness of the earth around him. His face was like a law of nature-a thing one could not question, alter or implore. It had high cheekbones over gaunt, hollow cheeks; gray eyes, cold and steady; a contemptuous mouth, shut tight, the mouth of an executioner or a saint.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, can you wake up a different person?

Cf. A.C. Doyle "I'll rise above this, you can't keep me down, for I am Divine, and I know it all too well."

OfflineSkeeblix
Dave Thomas
Male

Loc: Wendy's
    #8101867 - 03/04/08 02:27 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

These figures are bullshit. Teen drug use is not down, no matter what the numbers show. Kids are just a lot more eager and willing to lie about it on paper than they were 30 years ago.

I'm amazed that the government can take the results of school-issued surveys to these kids as valid data, considering even though they are anonymous surveys, most kids will lie about it anyways.

I can think back to plenty of times in high school that these surveys were issued, and though I always answered truthfully, mainly because I was smart enough to know that the school couldn't do shit even if they somehow found out I'd put those answers.

I knew plenty of people who did drugs, and hung out almost exclusively with stoners through high school, and I sat and watched more than a few of them give bullshit answers to those tests.

Most teens aren't going to openly answer that kind of question anymore, because of fear of action taken against them. Goes to show you that all prohibition does is incite fear.

--------------------
This post approved by:

Premedman1 said:
:lol: I just shat my pants.

Invisibletealeaf
Just Touch It
 User Gallery

Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: Skeeblix]
    #8102031 - 03/04/08 04:13 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

"When it comes to smoking pot, trouble-prone boys are more likely to give up the habit if it isn't considered cool, but trouble-prone girls will keep toking no matter what, new research shows"

hey at least the troubled girls will keep smokin!

why would anyone try it because it's cool. i smoked for the first time because of curiosity. people have been telling me ever since then that its not cool and have i stopped? if you cant think for yourself, you cant think at all.

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

#8102386 - 03/04/08 05:28 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

I fucking hate kids and I fucking hate the news but I LOATHE when they're together

--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #8102434 - 03/04/08 05:41 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

i don't know about you.... but when i was in high school i smoked weed to get high and have some fun times with friends. NOT to be a cool cat and think i was all gangster and shit.

Invisiblenalyudi
he runs about
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oak Savanna Region
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: biggysmall]
    #8104039 - 03/04/08 11:28 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

maybe "coolness" has a factor in the initial pressure to try it, even though i think curiosity is the key factor. they keep coming back for more because of the euphoria, not because its like a members only club of "cool" people

Offlinewoefuljungle
here to gain andshare knowlege
Male

Loc: us
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: nalyudi]
    #8104211 - 03/05/08 12:14 AM (16 years, 28 days ago)

i agree i tryed because i wanted to try i was down right curious

--------------------
loading signature . . .

Offlinenihilistism
king of thecastle
Male

Loc: Hernando's Hideaway
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: nalyudi]
    #8104236 - 03/05/08 12:23 AM (16 years, 28 days ago)

When i was in high school, especially my senior smoking and drinking basicly brought our senior class together, lol. We would be walkin down the hall and see some one we used to hang out with and be like "wanna smoke?" and we'd go on a roadie or somthing during lunch or after school.

In my mind pot is a wonder drug. It can bring people together, tear them apart, relax you after a stressful day, calm you down in rough times, and my personal favorite making every thing more funny.

Offlinerushofblood
Stranger

Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: nihilistism]
    #8104379 - 03/05/08 01:08 AM (16 years, 28 days ago)

I like the phrase "prevailing prevalence"

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Troubled Boys Will Abandon Pot When It's Deemed Uncool [Re: rushofblood]
    #8104566 - 03/05/08 02:14 AM (16 years, 28 days ago)

geez.... didnt you guys know that if you smoke pot you will deflate??? or even worse, build a pot cocoon and emerge when youre 30?????

its liek sooo uncool to smoke.

:rolleyes:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds