Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
my parent's dog...
    #8101773 - 03/04/08 02:10 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

i'm pretty sure she eats cat shit out of the litter box. her breath smells like a bunch of dead crabs that have rotted in the sun for about a week. :puke: i'm not exaggerating at all either, it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it...

what is someone supposed to do to make a dog stop doing this crap. i suck at dogs, but my parents are just the worst. they never ever punish her for anything. she's just too cute the rest of the time and they're just to lazy or apathetic. it's actually my sisters dog that she left at my parent's house whenever she moved to nyc. so now they're stuck with this dumb little chiwawa/cocker spaniel thing that looks like a squirrel/rat/dog hybrid that is barely house broken. it'd be nice to figure out a way to get her to stop eating shit all the time because one day she's going to jump up in my face and i'm going to puke all over her.

she also barks whenever ANYBODY opens a door. she flips out and starts yapping like she's rabid or something. it's really fucking annoying. i've tried to tell her "NO!" and punish her by spanking her when she does it, but now she's wise and barks at me and then runs off making it impossible to catch her. is there anyway to get her to stop acting so insane whenever she hears a noise, or is that just something in a dogs blood that can't be changed? anyone got any suggestions? i'd like to help train her since my parents don't seem like they're ever going to do jack shit about it. if you hadn't figured it out by now, our family has never been very good with dogs. my mom never really liked them so we always had cats mostly.

any input would be cool, thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: my parent's dog... [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #8101865 - 03/04/08 02:27 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

They make some stuff.That you feed to a cat for that.Yum, kit kat bars.To stop the barking, try a bark collier.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineJeebies
Male

Loc: Transgenic corn&beans, USA Flag
Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Brainiac]
    #8101874 - 03/04/08 02:29 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

if you can get to the cat turds before the dog gobbles them up, sprinkle a little cayenne on them.

might sound kinda strange, but it will solve the problem.

you're welcome:thumbup:

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Jeebies]
    #8101880 - 03/04/08 02:31 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

good ideas, thanks guys.

i'll have to look into a bark collar. i've never heard of that before.

OfflineJeebies
Male

#8101892 - 03/04/08 02:35 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

I would only use the bark collar when the parents aren't around. Unless the dog is a pup, it will take a couple times to learn that barking isn't a good idea, and the sounds they make while figuring out how the damn thing works are quite hilarious.

however, the folks might think you're sadistic.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #8101920 - 03/04/08 03:26 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

Most dog's breath smells pretty rancid. That's the way it is. And as for them eating shit, that's what dogs sometimes do. Pretty gross, but you can't punish it for that.
When the dog goes nuts as you enter the house, try ignoring the dog. Don't make eye contact and pretend they're not there. Generally they figure out that you're not interested in their attention seeking game and quieten down. Another tip is to get your parents to put her on a leash whenever they're expecting someone. When she goes to jump up, get them to pull the leash to the side which should knock her off balance. Don't do it extremely hard to choke her, but enough so that everytime she tries to jump, she gets knocked over. They get sick of it pretty quick.
Also, spanking isn't going to fix the problem as you've noticed. Now she just realises that when she barks she runs away. Kind of why you never punish them for shitting/pissing inside as they'll just do it in secret because they know you'll spank them.

I'd suggest you talk to your parents about going to a dog training class; it'll make a lot of difference if your parents are willing to put the effort in. Dogs take a lot more effort than cats! My parents only just got a dog late last year after having a cat for 14 years. Definitely a lot different.

OfflineJeebies
Male

Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Sheepish]
    #8102041 - 03/04/08 04:15 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

Dude, if the dog is eating shit out of the litter box, you most definitely CAN train it not to.

Like I said, a little cayenne pepper for a couple days and the dog won't think about eating shit out of there again.

it doesn't take much to give a dog a whallop though, so be careful. A little hot pepper never hurt any of my dogs when they were chewing shit up that they're not supposed to.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #8102075 - 03/04/08 04:25 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

I doubt the cat would shit in a litter box doused with cayenne pepper.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineJeebies
Male

Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #8102109 - 03/04/08 04:33 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

you don't think?

I didn't say douse the whole box, because that would just be mean to the dog. Just a light sprinkling on the turds he would be prone to eating.

Have you ever witnessed the dog eating turds? :poop:

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
    #8102139 - 03/04/08 04:39 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

My parents call our cat box the treat box, after we started to put the cat food on the self we caught the dogs eating there shit instead.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #8102174 - 03/04/08 04:46 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

JonnyOnTheSpot said:
i'm pretty sure she eats cat shit out of the litter box.

Kitty Box Krunchies® are a tasty treat

Invisiblemayfly
Female

Loc: planet home
    #8102196 - 03/04/08 04:51 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

This dog needs some basic training! For starters, try keeping the litter box somewhere the dog can't get to it (on a shelf, put baby gates up, etc) and take it to basic obedience school. You can also brush it's teeth with doggie toothpaste, but that's a pain in the ass so it's probably easier to actually fix the root of the problem.

It sounds like this dog doesn't know who's supposed to be running the house, and obedience training is the best way to show it who's boss. I highly recommend using a positive reinforcement-based training method--I like clicker training, but there are a lot of different methods that work, and the only type of training I would really warn you against is positive punishment-based training, because it often leads to fear aggression.

Dogs are pack animals, if they don't have a clear leader they will take charge, and taking charge means they can do whatever the hell they want--potty in the house, yap at the door, jump up on people, etc. If you don't want to put up with that behaviour you need to be a better leader, and show the dog that you are a better leader.

If you don't want to go to training classes or you can't start a class for a while, you can do "nothing in life is free" (NILIF) at home. NILIF basically means that your dog doesn't get anything unless it does something for you first. For example, if it wants supper, it has to sit and stay while you put it's food in the dish. Or if it wants to be patted, you make it lie down before you pay attention it it.

--------------------
"The important thing to remember: if we ship all our fat-bottomed girls off to foreign countries, the terrorists win."

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: my parent's dog... [Re: mayfly]
    #8102334 - 03/04/08 05:19 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

We use a bark coller, on both of my dogs.All you have to do is.Say, "You won't the coller" and they will run and hide.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Brainiac]
    #8102570 - 03/04/08 06:10 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

thanks for all the great advice everybody. i'm definitely going to sift through it all a little more and see what the best combination/course of action is. i don't live with my parents, but i'm here a good enough amount of time to maybe be able to train the dog at least not to eat shit and go insane all day long. i just don't think my parents are going to make the effort, but i'm tired of dealing with the dog's bullshit every time i'm here. i really don't understand how they can put up with her the way they do. i guess they think all her bullshit is cute, but it's actually incredibly annoying and i'd say embarrassing when you have that little control over a dog.

i'll bump this down the line and report my success or failure. thanks again!

OfflineEssen
Vagina
Male User Gallery

#8102712 - 03/04/08 06:38 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

--------------------

InvisiblePukgandi
Paranoid Kidhead
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Essen]
    #8102950 - 03/04/08 07:31 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

the bad breath could be some kind of mouth infection. My dog Bear's breath smelt like he was cooking decaying animal diarrhea in his mouth. Vet gave drops and fixed it. My dogs bark all the time, bark collars only work temp on our dogs.

--------------------
Orange Esplosion

Invisiblemayfly
Female

Loc: planet home
Re: my parent's dog... [Re: Pukgandi]
    #8103434 - 03/04/08 09:08 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah bark collars are a crutch, they work really well when they're on but as soon as you take it off they're right back at it.

--------------------
"The important thing to remember: if we ship all our fat-bottomed girls off to foreign countries, the terrorists win."

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies