Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
YA's album of the week #4
    #8094720 - 03/02/08 06:42 PM (16 years, 29 days ago)

Black and White vs Technicolor by Spektr

now there is another band out there with the same spelling, but they are black/death metal. But that shit is also good as well. Not the focus of this week however.

Quote:

Imagine ... "Screaming Tv-Screens, blazing in heavenly Technicolor. Twanged-out Guitars under an enormous Sunset accompanied by Morriconesque Girl Choirs, as Bass and Drum Groove to the Beat of a Static Now. Disharmonic String-sections with Bows on Cymbals, jittery Harpsichords, clustered Timpani-motives and Tubular Bells eerily chime. Cobweb-like Circuit-bends and Micro-synths meshed in Tape-manipulations on dusty Retro-Drummachines, Handclaps and a worn Hammond-organ. The Surf never breaks on a Wave of White Noise!" A NOW-Soundtrack for THEN-Movies MANOJ RAMDAS, former guitarist of THE RAVEONETTES and his Associates, collectively named SPEkTR, formed in Denmark 2001, are emerging with new album entitled "B/w vs. Technicolour". Recorded in Copenhagen, Denmark and Los Angeles, as a tribute to the lost art of 60's-70's soundtrack composing and the ber-cool music from that aera. SPEkTR have written a pastiche-album. A "Retro-N-Soundtrack" if you like, containing original material, composed, performed and produced by the band. All inspired by the likes of Herrman, Mancini, Goldsmith, Morricone and performed with today's rock antics and attitude. While the band constellation holds: guitar, bass, drums, percussion, organ, synths and sampler, additional sonic texture for the album was enquired by the usage of string-sections, brass ensembles, classical percussionists, girl choirs and various electronic gadgets. Compositions like "Micro-Caine" and "The Bronson Beat" with their distinct 70's black-market Bollywood-rock feel, seem a perfect fit for a Steve McQueen or Bruce Lee movie never put into production! And while "Things that Go Bump in the Night"s manic pounding drummachinebeat and haunting harpsichord theme reminiscent, the stalking robot-gunslinger from "Westworld", "Drops O' Kurare" softly sedates and paralyzes with it's sweet and breezy guitarline, reverby bongos and polynesian-like chorus. The title track "B/w vs. Technicolour" is likely to raise all the demonic chills of a Leone/Morricone collaboration, with its stomping surf-march intro building to a climax that again descents into a romantic and lush end theme...... A so-called ride into the sunset scene. SPEkTR have toured Scandinavia and Europe extensively since 2001 and will be going on the road again early March for a few selected dates around Europe.

they have a myspace page with their music on it, as well as an official website that has 45 second samples of almost every song on the album.
I would post the links, but my computer here at work is barely running this IE page.

I picked this album because it seemed that the few people that actually read this thread would be interested in it.
Such an apt name for the album, because it really does bring visions of old television.
The first time I heard this album, I fell in love with it. if you like old 70's sitcom theme songs, then you will most definitely love this album. it has some very interesting time signatures at times, and extremely catchy melodies. It swings between superfly afro imagery to sombre, haunting riffs.
I also find it great on road trips to make my own movie in my head to it.
again, it is entirely instrumental. I promise next week I will pick an album with lyrics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: YA's album of the week #4 [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #8101966 - 03/04/08 03:57 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

so 21 views... did anyone check anything out. even on their myspace?

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8102064 - 03/04/08 04:23 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

please just kill yourself

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: YA's album of the week #4 [Re: TheCow]
    #8102074 - 03/04/08 04:25 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

is someone :crankey: because they got pwned over music?

maybe you shouldn't try to comment on an album that you never listened to before.... it really sucks when someone like me makes it abundantly clear that you keep talking out of your ass.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8102083 - 03/04/08 04:27 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

I downloaded that shit.  I have all of the albums he made.  I still cant imagine why you think that album sounds like Odelay.  You are on some  seriously fucked up shit if you believe that.  As far as who knows about music, come on man, let us recall your its rock not blues comment :whatever:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #8102156 - 03/04/08 04:43 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

lol.... do you know what I do for a living?

did you know that I have degrees in theory and composition as well as recording engineering?

I have worked on entire seasons of louisiana jukebox and done a few showtime comedy specials, run sound for over 5000 acts of every genre. I have worked on various albums ranging from dirty south rap to oriental foxtrot.

so yeah... who knows more about music here?
go listen to the song "loving machine" from the Acme album and tell me that it doesnt sound like Odelay.

also, work on your reading comprehension. I never said that every album from Jon Spencer was rock, nor did I say that every album sounds like Odelay....
you wanted to complain about it having organ or some shit, and it has organ on two songs, oh so lightly in the background of the mix.
I doubt that you have still given it a real listen.

why dont you put up or shut up. back up your statements with actual analysis. since you claim to know so much about music theory... break it down.
"Odelay is hip hop, because the Dust brothers produced it..."... well then so is the song MMMMbop.

and then you still havent commented on Justin Potts album, Eohippus.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8102187 - 03/04/08 04:48 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Firstly, I didnt say it was hip-hop because the Dust Brothers produced it, nor did I mention the Dust Brothers, also I never said it was hip hop. I said it was a cross between rock hip hop soul and funk.

It is true I thought there was more organ, the album I originally got was mislabeled, though it was also by him. I have fixed that problem and listened to the real album. Furthermore, Ive never listened to that Potts shit because your opinion on what sounds like Odelay is seriously called into question.

Good job on managing to get degrees in something you have such a little grasp on by the way, because ya know, college is so difficult and all. I'm sure music programs are particularly difficult, you must be a genius. Why dont you just admit that you fucked up on the recommendation and fix the problem instead of wading in your own bullshit

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #8102283 - 03/04/08 05:10 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:Odelay has loads of hip hop elements, and considering it was produced by a hip hop team this is not surprising.

Quote:

Furthermore, Ive never listened to that Potts shit because your opinion on what sounds like Odelay is seriously called into question.

well, all pissing contests aside, you really should listen to Eohippus.... for your own enjoyment. I wouldnt say it sounds like Odelay, but when I put it on here at work, people always come ask me which Beck album it is from.

Quote:

Good job on managing to get degrees in something you have such a little grasp on by the way, because ya know, college is so difficult and all. I'm sure music programs are particularly difficult, you must be a genius. Why dont you just admit that you fucked up on the recommendation and fix the problem instead of wading in your own bullshit

how many times have you won the music competition here on the shroomery? how many times have you entered?
do you make a living from your devastating guitar shredding? or do you make your living by saying "nuh uh doody head, you are wrong"?

so one more time... can you say that the song Lovin Machine from the album Acme wouldnt fit onto Odelay? so would "I wanna make it alright"...

but why dont you just listen to Odelay twice if you want to find something exactly like it.
when you are recommending albums to people you take more of the feel of the album than the actual scales or genres into account.
Acme has the same feel as Odelay, has similar production and similar phrasing. that is why I recommended it to you.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #8102288 - 03/04/08 05:11 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

I'm sure music programs are particularly difficult, you must be a genius.

:lol:
Let's see you get a degree, champ.

--------------------
!

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: YA's album of the week #4 [Re: jewunit]
    #8102884 - 03/04/08 07:18 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

Ive got a degree maestro, and I took some music classes, and they were generally easy as hell

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #8102926 - 03/04/08 07:26 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

a degree in what?

and intro to theory is generally easy. in fact, the first year of theory and comp anywhere is pretty easy.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#8102993 - 03/04/08 07:38 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

I love how these threads spiral out of control. :lol:

I've been keeping up with these albums.  I've fallen  in love with Mr. Bungle.  Complete instantly! 

Still digesting the others.

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8103053 - 03/04/08 07:50 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

electrical engineering

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #8103192 - 03/04/08 08:20 PM (16 years, 27 days ago)

I was implying a degree in some sort of music field besides music education.

--------------------
!

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale